• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good (?), the Bad and the Ugly: Week 4 Edition

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I went to the game, so I have a few observations.

The crowd. One word: electric. There definitely was a sense of patriotism, but a few misnomers from the media and their anthem coverage. First, before the prayer, the PA guy said they were gonna kneel to pray for dignity, diversity, and peace of nation and whatnot. There wasn't one guy that didn't applaud the message. Some media ignored that. However, we know about the boos when they kneeled. The media made it seem like everyone booed, but really, maybe a third of fans booed and they booed loud. During the game, our team didn't give us anything to cheer for.

Offense: Train wreck. Fire Marty, and I'm this close to supporting benching Joe. 5 yard dump offs every play won't cut it in this league. They are leaving this defense hanging to dry, it's pathetic.

Defense: Sorely missed BW. But they played good, despite the offense's inability to move the ball. Held AB to < 40 yards. They were on the field 11 minutes more than our offense was. Can't have that kind of discrepancy.

and that's with us running most of the time as well - imagine how low our time of possession would be if we came out passing as much as we did last year...

K-Dog

MVP
It's the best throw I've seen him make in years. It's why I have hope he can turn it around eventually.
Like I said earlier and elsewhere, we DID in fact see glimmers of a great QB today. Unfortunately it was just that, glimmers.
I don't think Joe is gone ( as in unable to play at a high level ) I really don't think so.
I saw the same thing with Boller. There was moments when Boller was simply amazing. But then there were moments where Boller was,,,, well Boller.
I don't know enough about being a QB to sit here and tell you Joe needs to _____ this or Joe needs to _____ that. What I do know is Joe has the talent and ability to be an elite caliber, play off winning Super Bowl winning QB and nothing anyone here can convince me otherwise. How to get him from here, back to there, I have no clue. If I did, I doubt I would be working on cars for a living. He has a funk. Something is wrong, clearly. Next step? yeah I got nothing.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Before and during camp, to me it made sense to make a trade with Philly since they had 5 starting quality interior linemen. I also wanted us to draft Forrest Lamp.
But that doesn't tell me who you wanted from Philly.

With regards to Lamp, I wanted him, too, but Lamp would have played center, in all likelihood, and as it turns out, the Ravens were right in their decision to not draft a center as Jensen has actually done well.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
How can flacco miss a wide open perriman for a td (who still should have caught that) then throw that td pass?

Cmon man

Ones an elite pass only a handful of qbs can make, the one to perriman i reckon i could hit

All Perriman had to do is jump about a 1/2 foot in the air , which he didn’t , and he would have caught that ball and walked in the end zone .
This guy is not gonna make it ala Travis Taylor and Mark Clayton .

arnie_uk

Veteran
All Perriman had to do is jump about a 1/2 foot in the air , which he didn’t , and he would have caught that ball and walked in the end zone .
He still should have caught it no doubt. But that ball should have been an easy catch

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That was an awful pass and even after the jump it was on the tip of his fingers. That was all on flacco

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
He still should have caught it no doubt. But that ball should have been an easy catch

Agreed but man does Perriman have a complete lack of awareness on the field . I really think he will be a bust .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
That was an awful pass and even after the jump it was on the tip of his fingers. That was all on flacco
He wouldn't have gained enough vertical elevation while staying in-bounds considering that he was jumping while moving backwards unless he defied the laws of physics. There wasn't a defender in sight. In terms of intermediate passing, it was an absolute gimmie of a throw, and instead, it turned into a significantly improbable fingertip catch. Perriman's been a disappointment this season, along with the rest of the passing game, but that incompletion was far more on the throw than the catch.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Here's an interesting and a possibly eye-opening tidbit. We're averaging 4.5 YPC on the year, which is roughly in the Top 7 of the league. Conversely, we're also averaging 4.3 yards per play, the 2nd worst number in the NFL. We may be the only active team whose passing game actually drops our average yards per play to less than that of our running game alone. I've been flooded with work in the last two weeks, but I'll see if I can do some digging on the specifics noticeable on tape.
When Marty walked out, I screamed at him run the ball. We made eye contact and he nodded. I probably just saved the season to be honest loll

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
But that doesn't tell me who you wanted from Philly.

With regards to Lamp, I wanted him, too, but Lamp would have played center, in all likelihood, and as it turns out, the Ravens were right in their decision to not draft a center as Jensen has actually done well.
Jensen got it handed to him today.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I love alex Collins so much. He's an incredibly nice guy and who cares if he fumbles, (better than watching 20 punts in a row) I'm so glad harbs didn't bench him. If harbs wants to bench guys who turn the ball over so much, I can think of a Qb who's chucking straight to the other team. Watching Collins, if he can somehow hold a ball he is an all star. It seems he only fumbles when he is tries to fight it when he's basically on the ground he just has to go down. 50 yard run! That's the only Ravens run of 50+ dating back 35 fricken games. We've had 2 other 50+ yard runs dating back to 2012. Collins is the play maker we need. Legit the lone spark on offense.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Hopefully this game serves as a wakeup call for Ozzie to actually address the offensive line next offseason. Resign Jensen. Sign Norwell. Draft someone.

We do that, and Flacco turns his game around(which I think he will eventually. Him holding himself accountable is a very good sign. A new coaching staff and an oline might do the guy wonders. Get him a real QB coach please), and we find ourself a full time RB option. I think we'll be fine.

Even if the season looks bleak atm, there's a lot to play and I still think we've set ourselves up decently for the future if we can play our cards right.
While I applaud Flacco for holding himself accountable, I (well I think everyone does) want him to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. DON'T JUST TALK THAT SHIT, BE ABOUT IT! With this "offensive line," I doubt our production on offense will improve much as the season progresses. Once this offseason starts (can't believe I'm talking about this this early in the season), Oz better make this about offense all offseason long.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Were this team to somehow turn it around and go 6-10 or 7-9, it would be a terrible thing as it might encourage yet more trust and faith be placed into a quarterback that has not lived up to his end.

It's time for a regime change and a change in philosophy both in coaching and in player acquisition and development.

I'm of the opinion that the best thing for the organization going forward would be to finish 2-14.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Were this team to somehow turn it around and go 6-10 or 7-9, it would be a terrible thing as it might encourage yet more trust and faith be placed into a quarterback that has not lived up to his end.

It's time for a regime change and a change in philosophy both in coaching and in player acquisition and development.

I'm of the opinion that the best thing for the organization going forward would be to finish 2-14.
You may be right . It is time for a regime change no doubt .

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
You may be right . It is time for a regime change no doubt .
I don't mind harbs or dean, but we really need some big changes. The problem is I know this team sucks but I can't see us going worse than 7-9 or better than 8-8. It's games like the dolphins browns colts bears I just can't see us losing. Ugh this might be tough.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
When Marty walked out, I screamed at him run the ball. We made eye contact and he nodded. I probably just saved the season to be honest loll
Ha! Good on you. The only person I've ever had the chance to yell at while making eye contact is Peyton Manning during the 2006 Playoffs. unspeakable things were said.