• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good (?), the Bad and the Ugly: Week 4 Edition

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Thats what makes it worse, we have had glaring issues for over a year with no real solutions.
joe was 1 td back shoulder and 2 pics. when you realize our FO extended joe off those subpar years didn't get him no talent and let his oline walk. wouldn't trade him when a good return was possible and I don't want to hear about dead cap. and have us where we are now. its nauseous.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hopefully this game serves as a wakeup call for Ozzie to actually address the offensive line next offseason. Resign Jensen. Sign Norwell. Draft someone.

We do that, and Flacco turns his game around(which I think he will eventually. Him holding himself accountable is a very good sign. A new coaching staff and an oline might do the guy wonders. Get him a real QB coach please), and we find ourself a full time RB option. I think we'll be fine.

Even if the season looks bleak atm, there's a lot to play and I still think we've set ourselves up decently for the future if we can play our cards right.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Hopefully this game serves as a wakeup call for Ozzie to actually address the offensive line next offseason. Resign Jensen. Sign Norwell. Draft someone.

We do that, and Flacco turns his game around(which I think he will eventually. Him holding himself accountable is a very good sign. A new coaching staff and an oline might do the guy wonders. Get him a real QB coach please), and we find ourself a full time RB option. I think we'll be fine.

Even if the season looks bleak atm, there's a lot to play and I still think we've set ourselves up decently for the future if we can play our cards right.
I just don't understand how a team doesn't have a qb coach. Sure mornhinweg was the qb coach last year, but now he's OC (cough cough) and maybe for only a few hours more. You need someone who is designated to the qb.

arnie_uk

Veteran
joe was 1 td back shoulder and 2 pics. when you realize our FO extended joe off those subpar years didn't get him no talent and let his oline walk. wouldn't trade him when a good return was possible and I don't want to hear about dead cap. and have us where we are now. its nauseous.
Criticise flacco all you want but that td pass was perfect. If he lead wallace they way he was running his route the defender that dived across him likely intercepts that.

It was his best throw all year

arnie_uk

Veteran

One play joe got sacked by bud dupree. They had 4 rushers. We had 6 blockers and watson chipped and bud dupree came right up the middle unblocked and smashed flacco.

Thats neither Marty or flaccos fault, thats oir oline.

How many times were west and collins hit in the backfield? Flacco was hurried probably every other pass

arnie_uk

Veteran
How can flacco miss a wide open perriman for a td (who still should have caught that) then throw that td pass?

Cmon man

Ones an elite pass only a handful of qbs can make, the one to perriman i reckon i could hit

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Criticise flacco all you want but that td pass was perfect. If he lead wallace they way he was running his route the defender that dived across him likely intercepts that.

it was throwed right where it had to be. he still has a 30 yard laser but hat ball did wobble some. got no problem with that throw, it was a dang good one. its the rest of his game and we are eating that bad deal it don't m atter if joe is there or not. said all along mallet can do the job. can mallet do it better? maybe not but we don't have to hold onto joe or our FO that got us here

ALI624

Pro Bowler
I don’t think we should address the o line without having a new starting QB to go along with it. I am hoping that Flacco retires at the end of the season, doubtful that will happen, but a fan can dream.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

It's the best throw I've seen him make in years. It's why I have hope he can turn it around eventually.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It's the best throw I've seen him make in years. It's why I have hope he can turn it around eventually.

then he turned around the next couple of drives and made garbage throws again and missed open receivers again - i saw that throw and thought, hey we have a chance, joe's finally made a pass that he hasn't even been seeing for the last couple of years he's turning the corner - and then misery from then out

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
then he turned around the next couple of drives and made garbage throws again and missed open receivers again - i saw that throw and thought, hey we have a chance, joe's finally made a pass that he hasn't even been seeing for the last couple of years he's turning the corner - and then misery from then out
That, added with the fact that he knows he's playing bad. I doubt that Flacco is gonna be this bad for long. Him admitting it shows that he's not Jay Cutler and at least gives a damn. Which is beneficial for all parties.

I still think we should find someone to be his future replacement this draft.. But I also think he'll turn it around.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
The issue with criticizing the lack of moves along the offensive line is that there was no reason to address the offensive line so heavily.

We know Jensen is a pretty decent starter. The front office predicted that and made the correct call in determining not seeking more help for a center. Between Urschel and Jensen, one would win and be a pretty decent starter. Then, the other is a really quality top backup along the three interior backup spots.

At tackle, the Ravens did make a move for Austin Howard and I think it was the right move. Sure, he's not playing great and he's a little uneven, but he's been alright. Thought the first two weeks were okay and the past two are the ones that are slipping. Anyway, by signing Howard, you have Stanley (who closed out the end of the season on a tear) and Howard as the starters and Hurst as your swingman and we know that Hurst looked okay in the preseason.

Realistically, the Ravens were pretty set with a line of Stanley-Lewis-Jensen-Yanda-Howard. Is it great? Not at all. Is it serviceable? Absolutely. Then, as backups, you have Hurst, Urschel, and Siragusa as your primary backups and it actually looks okay.

At what point do you ever expect to lose Urschel, Siragusa, Yanda, and Lewis? You just lost two starters and two of your primary backups. Tell me at what point an offensive line predicts the loss of four players and plans accordingly for it.

The issue with criticizing the lack of moves along the offensive line is that there was no reason to address the offensive line so heavily.

We know Jensen is a pretty decent starter. The front office predicted that and made the correct call in determining not seeking more help for a center. Between Urschel and Jensen, one would win and be a pretty decent starter. Then, the other is a really quality top backup along the three interior backup spots.

At tackle, the Ravens did make a move for Austin Howard and I think it was the right move. Sure, he's not playing great and he's a little uneven, but he's been alright. Thought the first two weeks were okay and the past two are the ones that are slipping. Anyway, by signing Howard, you have Stanley (who closed out the end of the season on a tear) and Howard as the starters and Hurst as your swingman and we know that Hurst looked okay in the preseason.

Realistically, the Ravens were pretty set with a line of Stanley-Lewis-Jensen-Yanda-Howard. Is it great? Not at all. Is it serviceable? Absolutely. Then, as backups, you have Hurst, Urschel, and Siragusa as your primary backups and it actually looks okay.

At what point do you ever expect to lose Urschel, Siragusa, Yanda, and Lewis? You just lost two starters and two of your primary backups. Tell me at what point an offensive line predicts the loss of four players and plans accordingly for it.

There were a few of us banging the drum that the line wasn't good enough to start with. I identified a need to acquire at least two linemen via trade before the injuries and retirement... but we didnt make any moves before or after and here we are throwing another season away.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
There were a few of us banging the drum that the line wasn't good enough to start with. I identified a need to acquire at least two linemen via trade before the injuries and retirement... but we didnt make any moves before or after and here we are throwing another season away.
Just curious, but about when did you make these claims and who were you calling to trade for?

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
I went to the game, so I have a few observations.

The crowd. One word: electric. There definitely was a sense of patriotism, but a few misnomers from the media and their anthem coverage. First, before the prayer, the PA guy said they were gonna kneel to pray for dignity, diversity, and peace of nation and whatnot. There wasn't one guy that didn't applaud the message. Some media ignored that. However, we know about the boos when they kneeled. The media made it seem like everyone booed, but really, maybe a third of fans booed and they booed loud. During the game, our team didn't give us anything to cheer for.

Offense: Train wreck. Fire Marty, and I'm this close to supporting benching Joe. 5 yard dump offs every play won't cut it in this league. They are leaving this defense hanging to dry, it's pathetic.

Defense: Sorely missed BW. But they played good, despite the offense's inability to move the ball. Held AB to < 40 yards. They were on the field 11 minutes more than our offense was. Can't have that kind of discrepancy.