• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Is this the End of an Era in Baltimore?

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
What the hell is going on in Baltimore? John and Joe's Ravens have had a good run since 2008 but it looks like things are coming to a screeching, painful halt this season. Historical amounts of injuries, historically bad offense, horrific coaching all across the boards specifically on offense. I think it's safe to say all eyes are on John Harbaugh at this point and if changes are not made to get us at least pushing and contending for a wildcard spot I wouldn't be surprised to see Harbaugh fired.

The biggest change I want to see happen is the firing of Marty Mornenwhig and promoting someone as interim OC. Idk why on Earth anyone would want this guy as OC in the first place but we have got to get this situation figured out. We have been though several different OCs since John Harbaugh famously fired Cam Cameron during the regular season before we went on our superbowl run, Jim Caldwell was promoted and things really changed from a play calling and offensive flow perspective.

Now we definitely had a better offensive line back then than we do now that actually gave Joe time to throw down field...but at least we were throwing down field and not these Patty cake 2nd and long shotgun runs in the 4th Q when we are down 2 scores...what planet does this guy live on? He's done it a handful of times on a handful of different important drives where it's either 2nd and long OR EVEN 3rd and long and he's running it out of the shotgun for an easy 3and out for the opposing D. ?????? MEDIOCRE. He's not throwing to our WRs who are probably our best group in a long time if not the most talented group in the Harbaugh era (debatable) but of course our O-line is horrendous and gives Joe no time to throw down field which I guess explains all the orchestrated dump offs, check downs and 2-5 yard routes Mornenwhig likes to call.

I think if any change comes our OC will be fired before Harbaugh does because Harbs has had success and turned things around before by switching OCs, so I think this needs to happen asap. Idc if Flacco has no time to throw we need to be taking shots deep all day everyday when your losing in the 4th Q. Also the days of Mornenwhigs awful rotational backfields need to end. Terrance West had his chance to shine and he showed he deserves to be a backup, Buck Allen aswell, Alex Collins is our clear cut best RB and deserves to start and see the majority of the snaps. I really miss the Ray Rice days where he was our guy played all 3 downs 90% of the snaps and was able to get hot and stay hot, as opposed to play 2 downs and rotate in and out with 2-3 other backs. If you need to rely on mutiple RBs to do the job a single RB should be able to do- run, catch, block...you need yourself a new RB.

My next question is what the hell is in the drinking water in Baltimore that is causing all of these signifcant injuries year in and year out? Taxes, Flacco throwing an INT every game, and the Ravens leading the league in IR players. Whether we need to step up our training, maybe the players are out of shape, overworked, or maybe we are not taking enough cautionary and preventative measures whatever the case maybe we have got to make an effort to try and better prepare out players for battle because these injuries are half the reason we suck right now. I know this is football and sometimes freak accidents happen that you can't control, but if I'm Steve, Harbs, and Ozzie there's got to be something we can do better to avoid injuries, hard to do but damn we have lost mutiple game changing players ever year for the past 3-5 seasons. So God help us is I guess all we can really hope and pray for.

Finally I saw a couple weeks ago that we restructured Tony Jefferson's contract to free up a little bit cap space...I pray that we use that on some type of O-linemen, also potentially work some trade magic for someone to help our pathetic O-line. It makes Ronnie Stanley look like he's playing with 4 high schoolers. I think Austin Howard can be a serviceable RT but we need to add muscle to the middle after losing Yanda. So maybe that happens maybe not. But I think there are a few things we can do as an organization to try and plug the holes, change things around so this ship doesnt sink.

If we find a way to give Joe a little more time...whether it's using more TEs to block, going after a free agent or trade for a G/T, pass protection along with better play calling will make all the difference to this historically bad offense. A couple years ago Joe had the pass protection but lacked the weapons/separation down field to make plays, now the script is flipped.

I still think Harbaugh is a solid HC, and who is even out there that would do a better job if he were let go? I think Steve and Ozzie know that and will give him a medium sized leash as this season goes on given all the injuries and lack of personnel. But change is inevitable somewhere, and I'm 99% sure Marty Mornenwhig is the man with he short straw.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
all good things come to an end. harbs had a stacked team from 2008-2012. that team was dismanned and now hes gotta coach lesser ability players because oz and decost have not kept up. he hasn't been getting as much out of them because he is not a game changing coach.

oz is what 65 he is part of our past, but you can't make him part of our future.

season isn't over yet, but its lookin like a no brainer.

Christian Schwarz

Practice Squad
all good things come to an end. harbs had a stacked team from 2008-2012. that team was dismanned and now hes gotta coach lesser ability players because oz and decost have not kept up. he hasn't been getting as much out of them because he is not a game changing coach.

oz is what 65 he is part of our past, but you can't make him part of our future.

I wouldn't say those teams from 08-12 we're stacked by any means. Sure we have always had great defenses through the years with Ed, Suggs, and Ray...but offense has ALWAYS been a huge problem. Back then it was our lack of talented WRs only having Derrick Mason, Heap and Mark Clayton. Then it was our lack of run game from an aged Willis McGahee/Leron McClain which quickly changed in Ray Rice's 2nd year when he took over as a huge focal point to our offense. But despite the so called "stacked teams" from 08-12 that were playing contenders year in and year out we could never get it done. Ozzie Newsome and Eric Decosta had a huge impact on our super bowl/playoff success, drafting guys like lardarius Webb, Paul Kruger, Courtney Upshaw, Torrey Smith, Kelechi Osemele. Finding gems like Pernell McPhee and Cary Williams to name a few. Jimmy Smith was drafted right before our super bowl run and who can forget the last play of the SB where he held Crabtree out of the Endzone.

They added pivotal free agents like Corey Graham and Bernard Pollard who bolstered our secondary, the trade for Anquan Boldin was a steal, Jacoby Jones and Vonta Leach helped our offense. And the list goes on and on with all the important moves Ozzie, Eric and our front office made to make us 2 time SB champs.

Now of course Ozzie is not perfect, he has made his share of mistakes in the draft/free agency that I could list along side all the good moves. But the good moves out weigh the bad because we won the super bowl and it wouldn't have happened without Ozzie Eric and our FO.

There's a reason Eric Decosta gets GM opportunities every offseason...because he is a solid player personnel guy and the right hand man to arguably the most respected GMs in the league.

I feel like we are in the same boat this year...solid defense, not so solid offense. Just like when we started in '08, maybe even a little better offensively just without the oline. Once we pass protect better and fire Marty mornewhig and change our offensive style up a little more to attack down field like we did in the Mason/Heap/Boldin/T.Smith days, with this defense I think we can be a real threat for sure. We are way to one sided right now our defense looks great when everyone's healthy but our o needs to get in gear

Last edited:

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s the beginning of the end for sure . The Harbaugh - Flacco era overall was pretty productive . Should have been two
rings though .
It is time to move on but not sure what we can do with Flacco . I’m sure we will be looking for another QB in the draft
next year .

RayRayRaven

Veteran
I feel like we are in the same boat this year...solid defense, not so solid offense. Just like when we started in '08, maybe even a little better offensively just without the oline. Once we pass protect better and fire Marty mornewhig and change our offensive style up a little more to attack down field like we did in the Mason/Heap/Boldin/T.Smith days, with this defense I think we can be a real threat for sure. We are way to one sided right now our defense looks great when everyone's healthy but our o needs to get in gear[/QUOTE]

weve been in the same boat since 2013. what got us a wild card playoff spot and playoff win in 2014 was kubiak. we were not a good team in 2014. we are almost the same team now 3 yrs down the road. clearly worse offensively. i use to sing the oz praises to but those days are gone as is the chemistry/STACKING we had in 2008-2012. sorry to bust the bubble. it was gonna happen sooner or later this yr anyways. but what i write is not opinion.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I feel like we are in the same boat this year...solid defense, not so solid offense. Just like when we started in '08, maybe even a little better offensively just without the oline. Once we pass protect better and fire Marty mornewhig and change our offensive style up a little more to attack down field like we did in the Mason/Heap/Boldin/T.Smith days, with this defense I think we can be a real threat for sure. We are way to one sided right now our defense looks great when everyone's healthy but our o needs to get in gear

weve been in the same boat since 2013. what got us a wild card playoff spot and playoff win in 2014 was kubiak. we were not a good team in 2014. we are almost the same team now 3 yrs down the road. clearly worse offensively. i use to sing the oz praises to but those days are gone as is the chemistry/STACKING we had in 2008-2012. sorry to bust the bubble. it was gonna happen sooner or later this yr anyways. but what i write is not opinion.[/QUOTE]
Did you forget all the secondary injuries that year. Suggs and doom also balled that year, quarterbacking our way into the playoffs. On offense Forest had a career year and our oline was very good. We were a contender in 2014 and came very close to competing in the super bowl. If we get past the pats we would most definitely beat the Colts.

You don't make it that far without being a very good all around team. Kubiak didn't coach the defense.

The failure to develop players is because of Harbaugh and our huge yearly injury toll, Ozzy is not a coach he gets the talent here and the rest is on our coaches and the whim of the football gods.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
The era came to an end for me the moment that Ray Lewis and Ed Reed left.

Sure, those cats didn't play defense and the Ravens still lost with them on the roster. I'm talking about that "L" word again....LEADERSHIP! Those guys had it! They were leaders of men! Joe Flacco? He's NOT that guy! At all! NEVER HAS BEEN and NEVER WILL BE! He's the "HO-HUM BUM!" He couldn't lead a horse to water while walking through a stream.

I saw NO LEADERSHIP out there with the Ravens today-NONE! Down 19-0 and NOT ONE player was on the sidelines, in one another's faces encouraging them or inspiring them to step up their game...NOT ONE! They just stood around and some even stood or sat by themselves. Then they came up the steps after the half and walked very slowly while the Steelers players ran back out onto the field.

The only fire that I clearly saw (and mind you...I was sitting in section 126 in row 4) was from Maciln who was actually pissed at Marty on the sidelines. I screamed out; "That's what I'm talking about Mac! Someone besides me needs to be pissed off by this b.s. ya'll putting on the field!"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The era came to an end for me the moment that Ray Lewis and Ed Reed left.

Sure, those cats didn't play defense and the Ravens still lost with them on the roster. I'm talking about that "L" word again....LEADERSHIP! Those guys had it! They were leaders of men! Joe Flacco? He's NOT that guy! At all! NEVER HAS BEEN and NEVER WILL BE! He's the "HO-HUM BUM!" He couldn't lead a horse to water while walking through a stream.

I saw NO LEADERSHIP out there with the Ravens today-NONE! Down 19-0 and NOT ONE player was on the sidelines, in one another's faces encouraging them or inspiring them to step up their game...NOT ONE! They just stood around and some even stood or sat by themselves. Then they came up the steps after the half and walked very slowly while the Steelers players ran back out onto the field.

The only fire that I clearly saw (and mind you...I was sitting in section 126 in row 4) was from Maciln who was actually pissed at Marty on the sidelines. I screamed out; "That's what I'm talking about Mac! Someone besides me needs to be pissed off by this b.s. ya'll putting on the field!"
Interesting as Maclin and Morninhweg are familiar with one another, from their days in Philly.

Still can't believe how bad this team has been. I have been a huge Flacco fan but if he sucks it up the next game bench him. Also for how much the team has invested in the D they also sucked. Gave up way too many yards rushing. Still give up too many 3rd and long. Sad how easily the Steelers convert a 3rd an 18. And I know injuries happen but this is ridiculous to lead the NFL in injuries. Our players are made of glass.
Still shocked that we played this bad after getting embarrassed by Jacksonville.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Still can't believe how bad this team has been. I have been a huge Flacco fan but if he sucks it up the next game bench him. Also for how much the team has invested in the D they also sucked. Gave up way too many yards rushing. Still give up too many 3rd and long. Sad how easily the Steelers convert a 3rd an 18. And I know injuries happen but this is ridiculous to lead the NFL in injuries. Our players are made of glass.
Still shocked that we played this bad after getting embarrassed by Jacksonville.

Why do you guys keep saying "the next" game....after Flacco's been horrendous for 2 games in a row? He is what he is and we all know what that is! Some of us just keep holding on to what he did for the team in the past and refuse to acknowledge and face what he is in the present! Flacco is trash! He's a bum bro! And, the team played that badly because.....here's a thought.....THEY ARE....THAT BAD!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Why do you guys keep saying "the next" game....after Flacco's been horrendous for 2 games in a row? He is what he is and we all know what that is! Some of us just keep holding on to what he did for the team in the past and refuse to acknowledge and face what he is in the present! Flacco is trash! He's a bum bro! And, the team played that badly because.....here's a thought.....THEY ARE....THAT BAD!
I'm still giving him time to get back up to speed, since he did miss the entire preseason and so did one of his wide receivers. That and let's hope a little chemistry between Flacco and the WRs, plus improved oline helps his overall play.

If that doesn't work I'll be calling for his head also.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm still giving him time to get back up to speed, since he did miss the entire preseason and so did one of his wide receivers. That and let's hope a little chemistry between Flacco and the WRs, plus improved oline helps his overall play.

If that doesn't work I'll be calling for his head also.

I hear you but we really can't use that excuse anymore! He's 4 weeks in now and STILL plays like ish! Bell missed time as well and it took him a few games to get back to his old self and he did it against us. And Flacco? Trash bro! He even said it himself at his presser; "I SUCKED!" Case close!

RayRayRaven

Veteran
The failure to develop players is because of Harbaugh and our huge yearly injury toll, Ozzy is not a coach he gets the talent here and the rest is on our coaches and the whim of the football gods.

ozze gets the talent here? Since about 2010? You really think so? because the talent is our problem. we lack top flight talent, though we pay for it, and we have about no depth. we are one of the thinnest teams in the nfl due to draftin errors and that is why injuries take a toll on us. other teams overcome injuries. in Baltimore though its an excuse.

flacco needed to go two yrs ago. sunday we need to start mallet. if we play well we may finish 8-8 and maybe be in the playoff hunt til week 16, but ozze will take our pick and miss select again. its getting to be depressin

harball was pitiful in the presser. we need a comprehensuv rebuild plan...you know that sales sign, "everything must go"

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I hear you but we really can't use that excuse anymore! He's 4 weeks in now and STILL plays like ish! Bell missed time as well and it took him a few games to get back to his old self and he did it against us. And Flacco? Trash bro! He even said it himself at his presser; "I SUCKED!" Case close!
You can't really compare a running back to a qb. That's really not an apples to oranges comparison.

Not many qbs would be very good without a decent offensive line. If we could get average offensive line play I have no doubt Flacco would be better. That doesn't mean I don't want him replaced or to look for his replacement in this years draft, because I definitely believe it's time.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
The problem isn't Marty. Avoid all names, what if I told you there's an NFL qb who is averaging an interception 5.1% of passes, 150 yards a game, and 1 td a game? Oh and a season qbr of 65. Try being an O coordinator when your qb can't throw a 5 yard slant. Flacco pisses me the hell off. He use to be up and down and now he is only down. It's gross to watch Flacco. I saw him live today and all thought both should have been caught, we win if he doesn't far overthrow Wallace and perriman. I have hopped 100% of the Flacco train

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
You can't really compare a running back to a qb. That's really not an apples to oranges comparison.

Not many qbs would be very good without a decent offensive line. If we could get average offensive line play I have no doubt Flacco would be better. That doesn't mean I don't want him replaced or to look for his replacement in this years draft, because I definitely believe it's time.
Flacco has had some good lines, along with todd heap derrick Mason boldin, rice, Pitta, Torrey smith, Steve smith, maclin and Wallace. Imagine Brady with those guys.