• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Is this the End of an Era in Baltimore?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
First thing I wanted to hit on was that I read somewhere that the team re-structured Jefferson, B.Williams and whoever else it was because they had to free up a little space due to the unusually high volume of injuries, to both sign guys and have a little room in case of more injuries. It's the first quarter of the season and the team already has as many IR players as last year I believe.

I didn't like the idea of them retaining Marty to begin with and here's why: when the team fired Cam Cameron and put Caldwell in we saw a tangible difference in how the team attacked offensively. We witness Boldin finally being moved to the slot and the offense finally attacked the middle of field more. Last year Trestman was fired and Marty didn't change a thing, they even had a few games where the run game was looking good and they abandoned it still.
There really was no reason to bring him back other than continuity for the offense, that made little sense since they weren't building towards anything anyway.

I was at the top of the list complaining about Cam Cameron constantly having all the WRs run curls and digs seemingly every play that wasn't a long downfield pass. But outside of the 2012 playoffs and 2014 Kubiak the passing game has always been painful to watch.
We had a long term OC in Cameron that wore out his welcome and since then everyone else has been in and out rather quickly with not so great results.
So I'm starting to wonder now if these OCs are restricted or micro-managed in anyway. I mean
Mornhinweg was apart of some good offenses in SF & Philly, same could be said for Trestman and even Cam Cameron had top10 offenses in SD before coming here. Now Caldwell has Stafford playing much more efficiently in Detroit his interceptions have declined while his completion percentage has risen.
You might be onto something here.

We all should just look for common denominator(s) throughout these years:
- Harbaugh
- Flacco
- mostly bad drafting on offense

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...Steelers/1127ee42-7fff-4124-ab64-74f8ce88bf55

Hard to Win If Flacco’s Interceptions Continue
A day before the game, I predicted in print that the Ravens would win if Flacco snapped his streak of consecutive games with an interception, which stood at nine. He didn’t have a pick in the first three quarters as the Ravens fell 19 points behind and then started to rally. Just when the rally was picking up steam, though, with the Ravens down by 10 points and driving near midfield, Flacco rolled wide and underthrew a pass intended for tight end Benjamin Watson . Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier picked it off. A few minutes later, Flacco threw another pick when the Ravens went for it on fourth down in Pittsburgh territory. But the throw he most regretted wasn’t a pick. After the Ravens intercepted Roethlisberger to give them possession in the red zone early in the third quarter, Breshad Perriman was open for a touchdown and Flacco overthrew him. The drive ended with a field goal. “I wasn’t good enough to get us back in the game,” Flacco said.

^^
1. Flacco "underthrew" Watson...Shazier picked it off
2. Flacco "threw" another pick
3. Flacco "overthrew" Perriman...who was open for a TD

So we have 3 different scenarios...but ONE common denominator....FLACCO! And one of the most honest things that he has ever said is;
"I WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET US BACK IN THE GAME!" End of story!
It's hard to read your posts with all these colors - lot of us are using white theme.

One interesting snippet from Eisenberg's article:
"Danny Woodhead , out since suffering an injury on the Ravens’ first series of the season, has more catches in 2017 than Perriman"

I just can't blame Perriman for that. I'm sure he didn't forget to run since coming to Baltimore.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Not every pass will be perfect. Why cant we have nice things that catch a pass thats slightly off target.
If fans paid attention to other teams they would see that their QBs are never 100% "on the money" and their WRs make the catches that guys like Wallace and Perriman just can't seem to make. Yes Flacco has been off, but his receivers not named Watson have completely let him down. Who knows, those guys make some plays, rhythm, momentum and confidence are developed and we see a much different Flacco and offense.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Go on stop using colours. Can't even read the yellow text

It's hard to read your posts with all these colors - lot of us are using white theme.

One interesting snippet from Eisenberg's article:
"Danny Woodhead , out since suffering an injury on the Ravens’ first series of the season, has more catches in 2017 than Perriman"

I just can't blame Perriman for that. I'm sure he didn't forget to run since coming to Baltimore.

I can see them! But, hey! For my blind brothers in the room....Kool!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
You might be onto something here.

We all should just look for common denominator(s) throughout these years:
- Harbaugh
- Flacco
- mostly bad drafting on offense

Bad drafting and lack of drafting: our only day1/2 talent on offence since the Super Bowl is: perriman, maxx, crockett, stanley...

Weve wasted so many picks on defensive players that didnt pan out and not enough on offence

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Coaches have to develop players further and put them in positions to succeed as well. I mean we drafted a WR in the 4th round a year ago C.Moore then he doesn't actually get a chance to play even though our passing game is abysmal.
Other teams have no issue playing young WRs or coaching them up or creating mismatches to get them involved. KC drafted T.Hill in the 5th round last year dude played RB for a couple years in college they've got him at WR find ways to utilize the kid get the ball in his hands. Patriots drafted M.Mitchell five picks after we picked Moore and he was relied on even in the Super Bowl as rookie. S.Diggs was a 5th rounder for the Vikings they weren't worried about his injury history or if he dropped a pass.

On defense they'll give an undrafted guy a chance to shine no issues but on offense its a struggle to develop talent. Juice & Wagner are two of the few that were developed as later draft picks recently. Osemele was a 2nd rounder so it was an expectation he'd fulfill potential.

I still think it's a shame how Bernard Pierce looked so good his rookie year then fell off a cliff and isn't even in the league anymore. At first he looked like he could have been our back of the future.
To be fair Tyreek Hill would have likely been a 2nd round pick if it werent for the off the feild issues. Diggs went way to far considering how he looked in college and Mitchell was vastly underrated at Goergia (was a 5 star recruit). They all had emense talent you could see on the feild. Moore on the other hand? Was a big play threat for cincinnati lol. He had drops issues and the only guy he chewed up was eli apple (who sucks, his names apple and he cant even cook)

A lot of those guys also won those reps in practice and won their playing time on the feild. We just havent been able to see talent at offensive skill position players.

Since 2010 the RBs, WRs, and TEs weve drafted are as follows

Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta, David Reed, Torrey Smith, Tandon Doss, Anthony Allen, Tommy Streeter, Aaron Mallet, Crocket Gilmore, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Michael Campanaro, Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams, Buck Allen, Nick Boyle, Darren Waller, Chris Moore, Kenneth Dixon, and keenan Reynolds

Thats a pretty depressing list of offensive playmakers if you ask me. Now i know offense doeant win superbowls but you need some kind of threat. Pitta and Torrey were the only 2 guys who were good out of the bunch....and they still had issues. So yes some of it could be coaching. Either way...we havent had an elite offensive weapon since Ray Rice. And we are struggling to find one

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
What background do you use? Im on the white

Ohhhh! No wonder why you can't see them. I use the "black" background so the colors are a nice compliment to it and distinct for me. They look nice. I use a purple color for my main posts. My apologies for assuming that everyone's background was like mine.

Last edited:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
To be fair Tyreek Hill would have likely been a 2nd round pick if it werent for the off the feild issues. Diggs went way to far considering how he looked in college and Mitchell was vastly underrated at Goergia (was a 5 star recruit). They all had emense talent you could see on the feild. Moore on the other hand? Was a big play threat for cincinnati lol. He had drops issues and the only guy he chewed up was eli apple (who sucks, his names apple and he cant even cook)

A lot of those guys also won those reps in practice and won their playing time on the feild. We just havent been able to see talent at offensive skill position players.

Since 2010 the RBs, WRs, and TEs weve drafted are as follows

Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta, David Reed, Torrey Smith, Tandon Doss, Anthony Allen, Tommy Streeter, Aaron Mallet, Crocket Gilmore, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Michael Campanaro, Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams, Buck Allen, Nick Boyle, Darren Waller, Chris Moore, Kenneth Dixon, and keenan Reynolds

Thats a pretty depressing list of offensive playmakers if you ask me. Now i know offense doeant win superbowls but you need some kind of threat. Pitta and Torrey were the only 2 guys who were good out of the bunch....and they still had issues. So yes some of it could be coaching. Either way...we havent had an elite offensive weapon since Ray Rice. And we are struggling to find one

Wow. That really is depressing.

arnie_uk

Veteran
Ohhhh! No wonder why you can't see them. I use the "black" background so the colors are a nice compliment to it and distinct for me. They look nice. I use a purple color for my main posts. My apologies for assuming that everyone's background was like mine.
The purple is ok. Yellow is totally illegible on the white

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wow. That really is depressing.
Its sad honestly. Thats why I want a cant miss offensive player like Saquon Barkley or Christian Kirk next year. Even a guy like Bryce Love would do us wonders. Hed give us some sort of home run threat. A dynamic, someone the defense has to respect. SOMEONE WHO CAN CREATE ON THEIR OWN!!!! Its getting pathetic! We have no playmakers!!!!

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
If fans paid attention to other teams they would see that their QBs are never 100% "on the money" and their WRs make the catches that guys like Wallace and Perriman just can't seem to make. Yes Flacco has been off, but his receivers not named Watson have completely let him down. Who knows, those guys make some plays, rhythm, momentum and confidence are developed and we see a much different Flacco and offense.

I know AJ Green is making that catch. I've seen some on Russel forums saying that our offense needs to be perfect just to have a TD drive, they don't have the playmaking talent to overcome a bad drop or a hold or a sack. This has been blatantly apparent ever since Kubiak left, it's manifested in all stats that reflect efficiency; passing yards per attempt, rushing yards per attempt, points per drive, etc.

Everything once again looks so difficult on offense, this problem is bigger than Flacco, what changes with the next guy? I know I've always been an adamant defender of Flacco and I think a large reason is due to me watching all of his and Andy Dalton's career. I'm just sick watching it, it is painful. Dalton threw a screen to Bernard yesterday and he proceeded to run in a straight line for 50 yards without being touched, can you see us scheming that? He is surrounded with playmakers, Joe is not Aaron Rodgers but the one time he did manage to buy time literally no one got open (Maclin got DPIed, no call), this is a perpetual problem and Flacco isn't the one running routes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The purple is ok. Yellow is totally illegible on the white
Yes it is. @Truth put up an article a couple months ago with some key codes using different colors. One of which was yellow. I had to change the background color to black for that article.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know AJ Green is making that catch. I've seen some on Russel forums saying that our offense needs to be perfect just to have a TD drive, they don't have the playmaking talent to overcome a bad drop or a hold or a sack. This has been blatantly apparent ever since Kubiak left, it's manifested in all stats that reflect efficiency; passing yards per attempt, rushing yards per attempt, points per drive, etc.

Everything once again looks so difficult on offense, this problem is bigger than Flacco, what changes with the next guy? I know I've always been an adamant defender of Flacco and I think a large reason is due to me watching all of his and Andy Dalton's career. I'm just sick watching it, it is painful. Dalton threw a screen to Bernard yesterday and he proceeded to run in a straight line for 50 yards without being touched, can you see us scheming that? He is surrounded with playmakers, Joe is not Aaron Rodgers but the one time he did manage to buy time literally no one got open (Maclin got DPIed, no call), this is a perpetual problem and Flacco isn't the one running routes.

I think Collins' 50 yard run has been the 1st 40+ yard run since 2014. Most catches are contested, no wide open WR at all. I want to see something like OJ Howards TD yesterday. Flacco can only attack defenses over the middle. Thats why he looked great against the Dolphins last season.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think Collins' 50 yard run has been the 1st 40+ yard run since 2014. Most catches are contested, no wide open WR at all. I want to see something like OJ Howards TD yesterday. Flacco can only attack defenses over the middle. Thats why he looked great against the Dolphins last season.

You're so right, it's just painful to watch

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Its sad honestly. Thats why I want a cant miss offensive player like Saquon Barkley or Christian Kirk next year. Even a guy like Bryce Love would do us wonders. Hed give us some sort of home run threat. A dynamic, someone the defense has to respect. SOMEONE WHO CAN CREATE ON THEIR OWN!!!! Its getting pathetic! We have no playmakers!!!!

Ray Lewis use to ask; "Any dawgs in the house?" Well,when it comes to the offense, please allow me to answer that question with an emphatic.....HELL TO THE NO!