• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Head Coaching Candidates

Cant fix joe imo. He doesnt even step into throws anymore. Mechanics all fked up and moves like a robot. He is done. Best thing we couldve done is give him an outstanding defensive and run game

This is the biggest part of the problem, you cant just "fix" a QB like Flacco

Pitta's New Hip

Practice Squad
Bringing in an offensive minded coach doesn't guarantee anything. Hue Jackson sure as hell hasn't turned Cleveland's offense around. And Harbs replaced an offensive minded coach, Billick, who never gave us that great of an offense. Better than the current one, but still not that good.

Idk if that's a good example. The browns don't have any offensive talent. No WR's and QB's are inexperienced/garbage.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
This is the biggest part of the problem, you cant just "fix" a QB like Flacco
No.. But you can come close. Flacco is always going to have his faults. Maddening inconsitency and the occasional "fuck it" throw was always there.

But you can fix his footwork and tailor an offense to his strengths. Kubiak knew how to do that and actually took time to try to improve him. It's not a coincidence Flacco's best season came with him. And as stiff as Flacco has become(and no he was not always like this. I still think the back is somewhat of a problem), he used to be more mobile and knew how to work a pocket. I just have to ask what happened. I still think he can turn it around, but not in this system(which btw. is clearly not a fit for him. I know the two camps are the "Flacco is total ass" and the "fire Marty" camps... But let's be honest for a second: It's both. Not sure which one is overpowering which because we honestly can't tell until one of them is removed from the equation. But both are the problem and it's obvious).

Honestly. Get Harbaugh the hell out of town. Get Austin in to control the defense and run the team. He knows how to maximize talent on that side of the ball: take advantage of it.

And give Kubiak whatever he wants money wise. He wants to come back? He's fixed Joe before, he can do it again. He's brilliant at halftime adjustments and his offensive is timeless. Use him. Our oline even with it's faults is a hell of a lot better than the Broncos' was in 2015.

I know Flacco's detractors are loving that he's playing badly now "I was always right."

1. No you weren't. He's always been a good postseason QB. Flacco has sucked for about 2 years now(2015 he kept us in a lot of games so I can't get too mad at him for that year). A lot of his issues are with the footwork. You're just caught up with the box score. In 2010, 2011,2012 Flacco was a good QB who didn't put up good stats, but didn't lose us any games only to show up big in the postseason. Not a good fantasy QB, but during that time period I would've rather had Flacco than several others.

2. Shame on you. Why would you want the guy to fail? It's like wanting the captain of your ship to intentionally sink it. Makes no sense.

3. "Kubiak can't fix him". You're right. Flacco isn't perfect. But there are things about him that you can make work. Get an offense that's actually tailored to his strengths. Marty isn't total ass like some think, but Flacco just isn't a pure WCO guy(Marty isn't good either.. So yeah). And if you bring in a Kubiak type, someone who successfully fixed his footwork the first go round he was here and knew how to maximize Joe I think he'll go back to what he was in 2010, 2011, 2012. Which is fine. I don't need to draft Joe for my fantasy team. But that Joe won us games.

I don't think Joe is done. He flashes that he can still be a good QB, but is clearly going through a rough patch right now. Injuries and a bad supporting cast with an offense that really isn't good for him. Let's be clear: Flacco is part of the problem. He isn't the whole problem. Outside of Maclin and Collins our supporting cast really hasn't contributed and the oline has been marred with injuries.

The goal this offseason should be to get skill position players and another piece or two on the oline. We have no choice but to give Flacco another season given how that contract is worked out. Might as well maximize it. If Flacco stinks up the joint again next season, then the new QB will have a talented defense and a good supporting cast to grow around. Dak Prescott was a massive success his first season because he had a good supporting cast around him. Give us two offseasons with some focus on the offense and we can do that for a new QB too.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Idk if that's a good example. The browns don't have any offensive talent. No WR's and QB's are inexperienced/garbage.
It's a terrible example. Kizer isn't a good QB and those WRs get hurt a lot.
Hue is coach. Not a manager. His problems are opposite what we have here. We have a good talent evaluator (and the last two drafts have kind of saved Ozzie's ass) but horrible coaching at the moment.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
No.. But you can come close. Flacco is always going to have his faults. Maddening inconsitency and the occasional "fuck it" throw was always there.

But you can fix his footwork and tailor an offense to his strengths. Kubiak knew how to do that and actually took time to try to improve him. It's not a coincidence Flacco's best season came with him. And as stiff as Flacco has become(and no he was not always like this. I still think the back is somewhat of a problem), he used to be more mobile and knew how to work a pocket. I just have to ask what happened. I still think he can turn it around, but not in this system(which btw. is clearly not a fit for him. I know the two camps are the "Flacco is total ass" and the "fire Marty" camps... But let's be honest for a second: It's both. Not sure which one is overpowering which because we honestly can't tell until one of them is removed from the equation. But both are the problem and it's obvious).

Honestly. Get Harbaugh the hell out of town. Get Austin in to control the defense and run the team. He knows how to maximize talent on that side of the ball: take advantage of it.

And give Kubiak whatever he wants money wise. He wants to come back? He's fixed Joe before, he can do it again. He's brilliant at halftime adjustments and his offensive is timeless. Use him. Our oline even with it's faults is a hell of a lot better than the Broncos' was in 2015.

I know Flacco's detractors are loving that he's playing badly now "I was always right."

1. No you weren't. He's always been a good postseason QB. Flacco has sucked for about 2 years now(2015 he kept us in a lot of games so I can't get too mad at him for that year). A lot of his issues are with the footwork. You're just caught up with the box score. In 2010, 2011,2012 Flacco was a good QB who didn't put up good stats, but didn't lose us any games only to show up big in the postseason. Not a good fantasy QB, but during that time period I would've rather had Flacco than several others.

2. Shame on you. Why would you want the guy to fail? It's like wanting the captain of your ship to intentionally sink it. Makes no sense.

3. "Kubiak can't fix him". You're right. Flacco isn't perfect. But there are things about him that you can make work. Get an offense that's actually tailored to his strengths. Marty isn't total ass like some think, but Flacco just isn't a pure WCO guy(Marty isn't good either.. So yeah). And if you bring in a Kubiak type, someone who successfully fixed his footwork the first go round he was here and knew how to maximize Joe I think he'll go back to what he was in 2010, 2011, 2012. Which is fine. I don't need to draft Joe for my fantasy team. But that Joe won us games.

I don't think Joe is done. He flashes that he can still be a good QB, but is clearly going through a rough patch right now. Injuries and a bad supporting cast with an offense that really isn't good for him. Let's be clear: Flacco is part of the problem. He isn't the whole problem. Outside of Maclin and Collins our supporting cast really hasn't contributed and the oline has been marred with injuries.

The goal this offseason should be to get skill position players and another piece or two on the oline. We have no choice but to give Flacco another season given how that contract is worked out. Might as well maximize it. If Flacco stinks up the joint again next season, then the new QB will have a talented defense and a good supporting cast to grow around. Dak Prescott was a massive success his first season because he had a good supporting cast around him. Give us two offseasons with some focus on the offense and we can do that for a new QB too.
I understand you have faith in flacco but i just dont see it. Havent seen anything good outta him last few seasons. Its a mind thing with him and he is just not coming out of it. he always made dumb reads his whole career and very inconsistent. Now mix that in with bad throwing mechanics, bad footwork and terrible ass football IQ.. we need another qb bro

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I understand you have faith in flacco but i just dont see it. Havent seen anything good outta him last few seasons. Its a mind thing with him and he is just not coming out of it. he always made dumb reads his whole career and very inconsistent. Now mix that in with bad throwing mechanics, bad footwork and terrible ass football IQ.. we need another qb bro
Your point is invalid.

Kubiak took significant time to help Flacco fix all of those things(mechanics, footwork, and his IQ is NOT as bad as you claim). He'd do it again because he clearly wants to win, and frankly if we bring him in and make some good personel moves on offense we can do it again. Dean Pees had his best season in 2014 too. Partially because we had a very experienced AND talented defense(and yes.. He was good in 2014. Injuries in the secondary cost us a SB appearance).

I agree. it's time to find Flacco's future replacement.. But if anyone can fix him it's Kubiak. He did it before.

Flacco never won a SB on his own. No QB has and if you think they have your kidding yourself. Flacco's always needed a good supporting cast. He doesn't have that on the offensive side of the ball right now. Having Kubiak would make it easier since his scheme has made some mediocre players(Zuttah) look good before.

Fact of the matter is. We're stuck with Joe. That contract is setup poorly. Maximize him. If not, then cut your losses in 2019 and give your new QB an ideal situation to grow in. That's the path.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Your point is invalid.

Kubiak took significant time to help Flacco fix all of those things(mechanics, footwork, and his IQ is NOT as bad as you claim). He'd do it again because he clearly wants to win, and frankly if we bring him in and make some good personel moves on offense we can do it again. Dean Pees had his best season in 2014 too. Partially because we had a very experienced AND talented defense(and yes.. He was good in 2014. Injuries in the secondary cost us a SB appearance).

I agree. it's time to find Flacco's future replacement.. But if anyone can fix him it's Kubiak. He did it before.

Flacco never won a SB on his own. No QB has and if you think they have your kidding yourself. Flacco's always needed a good supporting cast. He doesn't have that on the offensive side of the ball right now. Having Kubiak would make it easier since his scheme has made some mediocre players(Zuttah) look good before.

Fact of the matter is. We're stuck with Joe. That contract is setup poorly. Maximize him. If not, then cut your losses in 2019 and give your new QB an ideal situation to grow in. That's the path.

Kubiak made goddam James Hurst look like a quality OL. JAMES FUCKING HURST. We were averaging 30 in the playoffs with James Hurst at LT. I'd walk to his house to beg him to comeback.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Kubiak made goddam James Hurst look like a quality OL. JAMES FUCKING HURST. We were averaging 30 in the playoffs with James Hurst at LT. I'd walk to his house to beg him to comeback.
Um... No he didn't lol. Hurst was still the token worst olinemen in the league in 2014. Now the valid statement is Urschel. He made Urschel look starter caliber in 2014.

RayRayRaven

Veteran

if you are a hardcore ravens fan by now you have to realize that flacco does not read a defense or the field well. He does not work through progressions quickly and he loves the safe 3 yard no yac completion as a safety valve.

sunday was arguably his best game of the year and he threw 52 times for 260 yards, lots of throws for little yardage. he was picked twice. this is not a 2nd year QB. its the same old joe he's always been and its not gonna change....unless

we get kubiak back.

until then if our O.C. and head coach are gonna rely upon joe to win with 50 plus throws per game we are gonna look silly.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Your point is invalid.

If Kubiak took his time and helped flacco with all those things how did he just somehow forget his mechanics and use of footwork? Great players work on that stuff bro. he been in lg 10 yrs, he not all of a sudden gonna develop good football IQ. I agree with you on giving him a supporting cast and all but even still I wouldnt have any faith in him.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
If Kubiak took his time and helped flacco with all those things how did he just somehow forget his mechanics and use of footwork? Great players work on that stuff bro. he been in lg 10 yrs, he not all of a sudden gonna develop good football IQ. I agree with you on giving him a supporting cast and all but even still I wouldnt have any faith in him.
Mechanics are usually one of the most difficult things to fix upon entering the league because you've done them since you were five years old. Fixing them as a 10 year vet? Forget about it.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Mechanics are usually one of the most difficult things to fix upon entering the league because you've done them since you were five years old. Fixing them as a 10 year vet? Forget about it.
Exactly. and all of the delay of games, bad clock management, excessive TO usage, not changing plays at line scrimmage, not reading defenses and throwing ball when clearly pass the line of scrimmage is just very low football Iq from a 10 yr vet!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We need a offensive minded HC plain and simple. Look at what the Rams offense is doing in the first year under Sean McVay, someone who can come in and give one final effort to fix Joe and the offense.
McVay is an absolute genius. Not many coaches like him in the league. He learned was a TE coach under Shanahan and promoted to OC under Gruden where both coaches ran the WCO. Now he is running a spread offense with the Rams. In Washington he was always labeled a brilliant coach who would succeed as a head coach.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Cant fix joe imo. He doesnt even step into throws anymore. Mechanics all fked up and moves like a robot. He is done. Best thing we couldve done is give him an outstanding defensive and run game
The only person, imo, who could fix Joe would be Gary Kubiak. When I say fix, I don’t mean make him elite, because he never was elite, but bring him back to atleast 2014 Joe.

Last edited:

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
For people wanting an offensive minded head coach, what about Frank Reich? The guy certainly knows how to build offenses (did a great job as the Chargers' OC in the past, and is doing amazing things with the Eagles now).

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I say we just complete the Alabama transition and bring in Saban as HC and Lane Kiffin as OC. There... Championships for years.

*Obvious Sarcasm*

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I say we just complete the Alabama transition and bring in Saban as HC and Lane Kiffin as OC. There... Championships for years.

*Obvious Sarcasm*
Kiffin is HC at Florida Atlantic. Not really good OC.
I agree with the rest of your post.
*Not Sarcasm*