• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
His entire life, flacco has been super inconsistent. He would be amazing one game and awful the next. Flacco has finally put it together and is easily one of the most consistent qbs in the NFL. He is extremely consistent at throwing picks and sucking. No denying we need a new qb (wether that be in the 3rd or the the first). Honestly if we end up with a top 10 pick, I think there are 5 guys who go top 10. We might have a nice option. Here's my board:
1. Sam Darnold
2. Josh Rosen
3. Josh Allen
4. Mason Rudolph
5. Lamar Jackson

I think we have a chance at Mason Rudolph (guessing we finish around 6-10, 8-12 overall) and maybe A josh but we will have to see. I don't like Lamar Jackson but would love any of the others.
Of course that's just the top 5 for me. I don't really know anything besides those elite 5.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If you want this bad version of flacco, Rudolph looks like the guy. I see a lot of the same issues with the small amount of film I've watched of him. Even when he torched Tulsa I saw a lot of staring down and statuesque pocket presence.

I like Rosen and Allen best, there my guys in this class, darnold seems to have some clunky looking mechanics and I'm not sure he can get away with it in the NFL. He's got that long, wide swinging release and really let's the ball get away from his body, it's worrisome. But he also seems to be able to put it on the money without even stepping into the throw, so idk.

If I had my choice though I'm taking rosen

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Watching Rosen stand in the pocket after seeing Flacco against the Steelers, it's.... Aaahhh.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ok so while getting a qb might be the option I want no part of Lamar Jackson or mason rudolph anywhere near the top 10 tbh - you could argue atm that Rosen, darnold and Allen are all bpa possibilities in the top 10 but there's too much talent at other positions already evident for me to take a flier on Rudolph or Jackson that high

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Ok so while getting a qb might be the option I want no part of Lamar Jackson or mason rudolph anywhere near the top 10 tbh - you could argue atm that Rosen, darnold and Allen are all bpa possibilities in the top 10 but there's too much talent at other positions already evident for me to take a flier on Rudolph or Jackson that high
They're not even first round options to me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'll second @Jacquouille . They aren't NFL qbs to me. If Jackson has a great work ethic he could become a Russell Wilson type guy with better downfield running ability, but it will take a lot of work for him to become the kinda passer Wilson is, and he isn't even an elite passer

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
If you want this bad version of flacco, Rudolph looks like the guy. I see a lot of the same issues with the small amount of film I've watched of him. Even when he torched Tulsa I saw a lot of staring down and statuesque pocket presence.

I like Rosen and Allen best, there my guys in this class, darnold seems to have some clunky looking mechanics and I'm not sure he can get away with it in the NFL. He's got that long, wide swinging release and really let's the ball get away from his body, it's worrisome. But he also seems to be able to put it on the money without even stepping into the throw, so idk.

If I had my choice though I'm taking rosen
I would describe Darnold's mechanics and unorthodox: but effective. Look at Stephen Curry. Best shooter in the NBA right now. People criticized him for his unorthodox form... But it works. Darnold can straight up deliver dimes and he has a gun for an arm despite these mechanical errors. If he has a good supporting cast I could easily see him working out. I think he has the highest ceiling here because his arm is better than Rosen's and so is his pocket presence and his ability to maneuver a pocket(trust me.. I hate this as I fucking hate USC as a Colorado Boy). Rosen is more accurate and mechanically sound, and has a higher football IQ. But the difference between the two is honestly minimal. Both could be elite QBs at the NFL level. People are saying this is Manning and Leaf 2.0 with Darnold being Manning and Rosen being Leaf(he has a lot of haters). I don't see that. I see this as Matt Ryan and Flacco 2.0. Sure, Darnold's mechanics would remind some of Phillip Rivers(a comparison I see for him a lot). But his playstyle is far more Matt Ryan. He's kind of a gunslinger and has a big arm. Rosen has a weaker arm than Joe, but his arm strength is more akin to an Aaron Rodgers. It's big, but not massive. That said, when Rosen's on his A game: he's unstoppable. He can make throws in terms of a combination of accuracy and arm strength that most quarterbacks just can't make. He's good at maneuvering in the pocket, is smart at the LOS, good pocket presence, and can make a bad supporting cast look solid.

Let's be clear here for a minute: As bad as Flacco's been this year. He's had a very good career. Won a super bowl, plays well in lots of big games, playoff success, one of the best playoff runs ever. Rosen is all of Flacco's good traits without the maddening inconsistency. He's the literally the perfect QB to replace Joe. Josh Allen wouldn't be bad either.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still kinda like Luke Falk. Not many people are talking about him and he deals with a pain in the ass head coach all the time. His recievers drop like 5 balls a game too lol

One weird game he had though was vs Boise st. He was struggling and they were down big so he got benched and the backup brought them back to win the game. It was a weird game, he just wasnt seeing the throws that were clearly there yet the backup was able to see the feild just fine. Thought it was kind of an odd game

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I have not had the opportunity to watch Darnold much and agree his mechanics seem unorthodox. I've seen on twitter that Tony Pauline said an insider said, Darnold is a "one read wonder". Obviously it's just one insider and you have to take Pauline with a grain of salt as well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I have not had the opportunity to watch Darnold much and agree his mechanics seem unorthodox. I've seen on twitter that Tony Pauline said an insider said, Darnold is a "one read wonder". Obviously it's just one insider and you have to take Pauline with a grain of salt as well.

its an awkward mechanic to watch but its not a long release and it generates power fine and doesnt hinder his footwork so while his release is a bit awkward to look at its not a brock osweiler type long delivery - its just different - my suggestion would be not to worry too much about the delivery and mechanics if you can get past how weird it looks

from what ive seen he's a little quick to leave the pocket but not like lamar jackson - he needs to learn to stay in the pocket a little longer and trust his protection but its not a major issue for me

id say the biggest issue with darnold is whether or not he actually decides to come out or not - if im darnold i have a look at the potential top 5 picking teams in the draft before i decide whether to stay in school or come out tbh - i was sure it would be the jets but at the moment it looks like its between the giants, browns and 49ers to be in position to take those top 3 qbs and they all need them...

if im darnold i look at that list and think to myself that the browns may well have a new coaching staff and maybe a new front office by the time he's in the building, the giants may also have a new head coach but have a great receiving corps to play with albeit an awful offensive line and the 49ers have kyle shanahan - if im darnold, whoever's picking 1st and 2nd affects whether i come out or not

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
its an awkward mechanic to watch but its not a long release and it generates power fine and doesnt hinder his footwork so while his release is a bit awkward to look at its not a brock osweiler type long delivery - its just different - my suggestion would be not to worry too much about the delivery and mechanics if you can get past how weird it looks

from what ive seen he's a little quick to leave the pocket but not like lamar jackson - he needs to learn to stay in the pocket a little longer and trust his protection but its not a major issue for me

id say the biggest issue with darnold is whether or not he actually decides to come out or not - if im darnold i have a look at the potential top 5 picking teams in the draft before i decide whether to stay in school or come out tbh - i was sure it would be the jets but at the moment it looks like its between the giants, browns and 49ers to be in position to take those top 3 qbs and they all need them...

if im darnold i look at that list and think to myself that the browns may well have a new coaching staff and maybe a new front office by the time he's in the building, the giants may also have a new head coach but have a great receiving corps to play with albeit an awful offensive line and the 49ers have kyle shanahan - if im darnold, whoever's picking 1st and 2nd affects whether i come out or not
It's not the length of the windup but how far he lets the ball get away from his body. He has a low wide side-swing type of throw like he's playing jaialai(I'm cultured af, thanks jackass and archer) and he is gonna fumble a shit ton of balls against good edge rush because of it. Plus that low release can be troublesome when every player in front of him is typically taller than 6'4".

His release makes me real weary, I can see a lot of tips and strip sacks coming from him in the NFL if he doesn't clean up his throwing motion

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It's not the length of the windup but how far he lets the ball get away from his body. He has a low wide side-swing type of throw like he's playing jaialai(I'm cultured af, thanks jackass and archer) and he is gonna fumble a shit ton of balls against good edge rush because of it. Plus that low release can be troublesome when every player in front of him is typically taller than 6'4".

His release makes me real weary, I can see a lot of tips and strip sacks coming from him in the NFL if he doesn't clean up his throwing motion
And mechanics are pretty darn difficult to change. Not impossible, but difficult.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
I really really like Mason Rudolph. I mean this guy's last name is Rudolph, he can lead our team on foggy Christmas days! I don't know too much about scouting Qbs, but he looks nothing like Flacco to me. He is actually incredible against the rush and pressure, so I don't know what you guys see there. He has insane accuracy on slants and shorter routes, and his arm is strong but not in the long ball. I don't see Flacco at all.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Here is my question; if the Red Nose Rudolph is sitting there in the middle of the second round and we are on the clock, would you pull that trigger?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really really like Mason Rudolph. I mean this guy's last name is Rudolph, he can lead our team on foggy Christmas days! I don't know too much about scouting Qbs, but he looks nothing like Flacco to me. He is actually incredible against the rush and pressure, so I don't know what you guys see there. He has insane accuracy on slants and shorter routes, and his arm is strong but not in the long ball. I don't see Flacco at all.

just putting this out there - flacco has actually been pretty good vs blitz and pressure this year