• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Quarterback thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Where are the numbers?

i couldnt tell you the numbers - i was parroting something i heard filmstudy say on his podcast maybe a couple of weeks ago... maybe even last week (talking about the season as a whole) - i couldnt say for sure though

but then again pff seems to have him as low/lower than usual even vs pressure so im really not sure

and it doesnt jive with anything ive seen although i will say ive seen some of our better looking passing plays coming on quick passes on short dropbacks vs blitzes - there was a nice one to camp yesterday that i remember, i remember maclin's touchdown vs the bengals came on a 7 man blitz - so im confused and getting mixed messages on this stat but im not sure its as cut and dry as in previous years

but who knows

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we use a high draft pick on a QB, what do we do with flacco? Based on his contract, the earliest we can get rid of him is 2020.
Say we draft a 2nd round Qb and have him sit til flacco is done. That's 1 solid year of starting before we have to decide if we wanna pay him big money with a 2nd contract. Could be a 1 year wonder and we're stuck with another Bad QB.
I think the best option is to just build a strong O-line and draft a legit running back. Do what jags have done with bortles. Strong D and run game and make bortles throw as little as possible. Draft a QB in 2019 or so..

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If we use a high draft pick on a QB, what do we do with flacco? Based on his contract, the earliest we can get rid of him is 2020.
Say we draft a 2nd round Qb and have him sit til flacco is done. That's 1 solid year of starting before we have to decide if we wanna pay him big money with a 2nd contract. Could be a 1 year wonder and we're stuck with another Bad QB.
I think the best option is to just build a strong O-line and draft a legit running back. Do what jags have done with bortles. Strong D and run game and make bortles throw as little as possible. Draft a QB in 2019 or so..

i think it would be a case of flacco would start 2018, they'd compete 2019 and if the young guy won then we'd probably try and trade flacco in 2019, take the cap hit (we wouldnt lose cap if we got rid of him in 2019 but there would still be a lot of dead money) and if we couldnt trade him we'd have a phenomenal backup level qb who we could trade/cut again in 2020 for even less loss

if it were to happen it could work as long as competition is allowed if flacco continues to struggle - the best case in that scenario would be that we draft a young guy who looks good but flacco plays well enough that we dont start asking to see the young guy until 2020 or so...

the reason people are touting taking a qb this year is because the qb class is good not because its a larger need than it would be next year - it certainly would make more sense to leave taking a qb for another year but it might be that the value is too good this year and the class after looks extra bad (i have no idea what that class looks like at the moment - although there is a chance that both sam darnold and josh rosen could go back and play their senior years if they dont like the looks of the teams picking at the top of the draft which would be hilarious)

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I still think we should wait for Hurts. By the time he's eligible, he might just become a monster and there wouldn't be any guesses/calculations around the Flacco cap hit. We eat it now and get our shit together with scouting/drafting next couple drafts.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still think we should wait for Hurts. By the time he's eligible, he might just become a monster and there wouldn't be any guesses/calculations around the Flacco cap hit. We eat it now and get our shit together with scouting/drafting next couple drafts.

Hurts can't throw in college. I doubt he'll ever be good enough for NFL throws.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Is Bayker Mayfield a bad idea? I mean, not especially in love with him but just the idea of going from Flacco to him when under pressure is exciting to say the least. Like, a QB extending plays, and not get sacked at the end, how would that feel? I don't know and I want to know.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Is Bayker Mayfield a bad idea? I mean, not especially in love with him but just the idea of going from Flacco to him when under pressure is exciting to say the least. Like, a QB extending plays, and not get sacked at the end, how would that feel? I don't know and I want to know.

i dunno - im kinda tired of having a qb with bad footwork under center for the ravens - mayfield is good at extending plays but he doesnt set his feet or use his front foot well when throwing from inside the pocket - also quite inaccurate from the pocket on intermediate throws

all this just makes me think of flacco at the moment and maybe mayfield would be better but im tired of seeing those flaws under center for us

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I kinda like the idea of giving Browning a shot to develop. Hes got arm talent, not sure if he has a rocket but his arm is strong enough. Hes pretty athletic too. Hes a pain in the ass to watch. Its like watching a pitcher who has no control at times

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like Mayfield a lot. I think what most people forget in their analysis is to check their behavior and the intelligence. Thats why I also watch some interviews and see how they respond to tricky questions. He hasn't thrown more than 9 ints a season despite all those wild throws.
Another name to watch is Will Grier.

DMk8jlOX4AoZlCM.jpg:large

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
3.32 seconds is the least amount of time to throw amongst the top 13 eligible quarterbacks...? I would bet Joe would KILL for that type of time.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
No question. Sometimes he doesn’t get half a second.
According to a post made by someone in the Flacco thread, he gets the 7th most time in the NFL... at 2.74 seconds or something close to that.

Mayfield is getting over 3.5 and it's the worst of 13 quarterbacks? What...?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
According to a post made by someone in the Flacco thread, he gets the 7th most time in the NFL... at 2.74 seconds or something close to that.

Lol. I guess that's why rookies say it'll be better next year, when the game slows down a bit.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Those are averages, but yeah with the time that he has on average he should be able to do much better than he has to this point

rossihunter2

Staff Member
part of that time to throw comes down to athleticism in the college game - these qbs can run and move around a lot easier and make up for any problems - also a lot of read option and play fakes or even triple option offence which gives qbs even more time because the defences arent athletic enough most of the time to deal with it so have to play conservatively - that would be my reasoning for why the numbers are higher and why its probably not an important number - sam darnold doesnt have great pockets to work in but he moves around, extends plays and throws outside of the pocket which naturally will extend his time to throw - the stat should really be average time in the pocket tbh to get a real idea of the lines they are playing behind

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
part of that time to throw comes down to athleticism in the college game - these qbs can run and move around a lot easier and make up for any problems - also a lot of read option and play fakes or even triple option offence which gives qbs even more time because the defences arent athletic enough most of the time to deal with it so have to play conservatively - that would be my reasoning for why the numbers are higher and why its probably not an important number - sam darnold doesnt have great pockets to work in but he moves around, extends plays and throws outside of the pocket which naturally will extend his time to throw - the stat should really be average time in the pocket tbh to get a real idea of the lines they are playing behind
Well, tbat was actually my question, honestly. If the pass rush breaks the pocket but we have an athletic quartetback, does it still count as time to throw? I wouldn't.