• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Penalties and Everything Else

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He's done a really good job setting the edge, he does remind me of 2014 McPhee and has been a force there. Bowser has stepped up his game and if Judon can get it together then this DL will help this defense make some noise.
2020 tyus bowser and 2019 Judon would be a formidable edge tandem, but we have 2020 Judon which doesn’t seem to be all that formidable. He seems to be coming on slowly the past 3 weeks though

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2020 tyus bowser and 2019 Judon would be a formidable edge tandem, but we have 2020 Judon which doesn’t seem to be all that formidable. He seems to be coming on slowly the past 3 weeks though

judon's been pretty good tbh - he's just not the game-wrecking edge you hope for when you tag him - but he's been consistently getting pressure after a couple of sluggish games to start the year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
judon's been pretty good tbh - he's just not the game-wrecking edge you hope for when you tag him - but he's been consistently getting pressure after a couple of sluggish games to start the year
yeah ive been noticing him a lot more, that chiefs game was an aberration for the defense as a whole, and a lot of it came from reid and bienimy just flexing on primetime, they went absolutely bonkers with their trickery in their gameplan, the thing about judon though is that the whole defense looked elite in weeks 1 and 2 except for him, its as if when we played the chiefs the rest of the D came down to judons level for a week and then they all came back up together.

the most we can hope for is judon to have come on by seasons end and get hot in december/january

rossihunter2

Staff Member
yeah ive been noticing him a lot more, that chiefs game was an aberration for the defense as a whole, and a lot of it came from reid and bienimy just flexing on primetime, they went absolutely bonkers with their trickery in their gameplan, the thing about judon though is that the whole defense looked elite in weeks 1 and 2 except for him, its as if when we played the chiefs the rest of the D came down to judons level for a week and then they all came back up together.

the most we can hope for is judon to have come on by seasons end and get hot in december/january

tbf the last 2 seasons judon has progressed massively later in the year - seems to start slow every year (at least from a stat compiling standpoint)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i know there was tons of speculation about whether Tyre keeps his job post-game with the hand injury and getting pulled at the end and whether it was an excuse

ken's article paints a picture that it wasnt as bad as thought:

https://www.filmstudybaltimore.com/week-6-offense-2020/

that old adage of 'it's never as bad or as good as you think' is coming true - also key to mention he had an incredibly tough matchup in fletcher cox and survived in the running game and looked pretty decent in the passing game for the mostpart

as ken says, i'd be surprised if he's not still the starter against the steelers in week 8

D1City55

Pro Bowler
We’ll see, he seems healthy so theres no excuse for his poor play. Thats kind of a good thing because it means he can definitely get back to where he should be at least soon.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
At $17M I can’t say his play has been good at all. Yeah it’s a 1 year deal but you can get elite talent at $17M. The Ravens have asked him to do more then what hes usually asked but hes been a disappointment in the pass rush and has had issues with finishing on plays. I’m pretty disappointed with him so far.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
At $17M I can’t say his play has been good at all. Yeah it’s a 1 year deal but you can get elite talent at $17M. The Ravens have asked him to do more then what hes usually asked but hes been a disappointment in the pass rush and has had issues with finishing on plays. I’m pretty disappointed with him so far.

i mean i get that people see the dumb stuff and have enduring memories of him not quite finishing but the last 3 years he's been consistently at the top of the NFL in terms of pass rush win rate - partly that's scheme but if it was all scheme then we wouldnt have had a need at edge in the first place

judon's not a world beater (and its naive to think that's what you're getting for 17m) but he's a good player who's inconsistent at times and occasionally throws in a stinker but for the mostpart is a dangerous edge player

but he's not getting paid superstar money - frank clark, demarcus lawrence, khalil mack, myles garrett and joey bosa are all getting over 20m/yr

judon's getting 16.8m for 1 year...

idk what sort of production people expected from him to not be disappointed

dont get me wrong i dont want to throw a longterm deal his way but the idea that he's played trash and not done anything is insane - he just didnt have big days in the first 2 games of the year that's all

D1City55

Pro Bowler
i mean i get that people see the dumb stuff and have enduring memories of him not quite finishing but the last 3 years he's been consistently at the top of the NFL in terms of pass rush win rate - partly that's scheme but if it was all scheme then we wouldnt have had a need at edge in the first place

judon's not a world beater (and its naive to think that's what you're getting for 17m) but he's a good player who's inconsistent at times and occasionally throws in a stinker but for the mostpart is a dangerous edge player

but he's not getting paid superstar money - frank clark, demarcus lawrence, khalil mack, myles garrett and joey bosa are all getting over 20m/yr

judon's getting 16.8m for 1 year...

idk what sort of production people expected from him to not be disappointed

dont get me wrong i dont want to throw a longterm deal his way but the idea that he's played trash and not done anything is insane - he just didnt have big days in the first 2 games of the year that's all
There's no mention of him playing like trash, just not up to the standards that we have expected, especially with more additions on the DL. He's not getting paid superstar money because he's never produced like one in his career. Clark, Lawrence(At his peak), Garrett, and Bosa are worlds better then Judon if we're being honest here. Those guys would all be making the exact amount Judon would make if they were tagged.

Yes, I acknowledge the 1 year commitment but franchise tags are about proving your value to teams and whether your production is worth the salary that you command. So far, Judon is not showing that his play is worth his cap hit. With Yannick joining I seriously hope he steps his game up because if he fails to I hardly find it realistic that any team would provide him the contract that he's looking for.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
There's no mention of him playing like trash, just not up to the standards that we have expected, especially with more additions on the DL. He's not getting paid superstar money because he's never produced like one in his career. Clark, Lawrence(At his peak), Garrett, and Bosa are worlds better then Judon if we're being honest here. Those guys would all be making the exact amount Judon would make if they were tagged.

Yes, I acknowledge the 1 year commitment but franchise tags are about proving your value to teams and whether your production is worth the salary that you command. So far, Judon is not showing that his play is worth his cap hit. With Yannick joining I seriously hope he steps his game up because if he fails to I hardly find it realistic that any team would provide him the contract that he's looking for.

judons technically on a lower franchise tag because he agreed to compromise with the ravens and his tag amount is half way between the LB number and the DL number

what would judon have to do (for you) to justify his current price tag

is there anything he could do?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
judons technically on a lower franchise tag because he agreed to compromise with the ravens and his tag amount is half way between the LB number and the DL number

what would judon have to do (for you) to justify his current price tag

is there anything he could do?
Average a half sack a game and don’t commit stupid fucking penalties. He could be the best run defender in the league but if he can’t reach 8 sacks and goes on long stretches without getting pressures either and he commits dumb penalties, then he’s not worth 17mil

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Average a half sack a game and don’t commit stupid fucking penalties. He could be the best run defender in the league but if he can’t reach 8 sacks and goes on long stretches without getting pressures either and he commits dumb penalties, then he’s not worth 17mil
I have been as disappointed by Judon as anyone but I also am not surprised either. I mean is there anyone here who thought he would solve our pass rush problems? That is just simply not Judon; however, what he does bring is someone balanced in all those areas without excelling in almost any but he does have very high averages in those areas. What I’m saying is he can’t and won’t do it alone but with someone opposite of him, I think they will complement each other and bring out his best. Is he worth his price? I never thought he was but he was better than nothing if we didn’t tag him.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I have been as disappointed by Judon as anyone but I also am not surprised either. I mean is there anyone here who thought he would solve our pass rush problems? That is just simply not Judon; however, what he does bring is someone balanced in all those areas without excelling in almost any but he does have very high averages in those areas. What I’m saying is he can’t and won’t do it alone but with someone opposite of him, I think they will complement each other and bring out his best. Is he worth his price? I never thought he was but he was better than nothing if we didn’t tag him.
I really think the reason we franchised him was due to the fact we didn't want the same thing happening to us that happened when ZDS went to Green Bay. We were giving him another season to see if he would evolve into a better pass rusher, even though he is in coverage with us a lot. I don't see him being worth the money and I don't believe anyone on any message board believes he is as well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Being the number 1 rusher and getting 8 sacks isn’t asking him to solve our pass rush problems, it’s asking him to be part of the solution along with others, and he hasn’t really even been that, for the most part he’s been entirely ghost in the pass rush.

At the rate Judon is playing he simply is nowhere near 17m, I didn’t expect him to save our pass rush but I at least hoped we didn’t shudder at that 17m. The bare minimum you should ask from a starting 3-4 OLB is making 17m is 8 sacks, that’s a lot of money and that’s a fairly low sack total for a teams top edge rusher. I didn’t expect much from Judon but I expected better, like you said maybe he’s just coming on slowly as he’s been one to do but I don’t wanna hear that shit at his price point lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Being the number 1 rusher and getting 8 sacks isn’t asking him to solve our pass rush problems, it’s asking him to be part of the solution along with others, and he hasn’t really even been that, for the most part he’s been entirely ghost in the pass rush.

At the rate Judon is playing he simply is nowhere near 17m, I didn’t expect him to save our pass rush but I at least hoped we didn’t shudder at that 17m. The bare minimum you should ask from a starting 3-4 OLB is making 17m is 8 sacks, that’s a lot of money and that’s a fairly low sack total for a teams top edge rusher. I didn’t expect much from Judon but I expected better, like you said maybe he’s just coming on slowly as he’s been one to do but I don’t wanna hear that shit at his price point lol

people keep saying stuff like this here and i find it to be fundamentally completely untrue
yes we'd like him to have more sacks but he's consistently been creating pressure at a very high rate - he's top 15 in the NFL right new in pressures despite rushing a lot less than the rest of his counterparts

he's currently T-5th in pass-rush win rate with 27% with Joey Bosa only behind Garrett, TJ Watt, Jerry Hughes and Brian Burns

people always get way too stuck on a particular narrative with Judon based on personal biases because he's never had 10 sacks in a season but the tape tells a completely different story - would you like to see him finish more? absolutely... is he going to get a long-term deal? unlikely at this point... has he played well? 100% yes

btw sidenote: Ronnie Stanley is atop the league tackle rankings in terms of pass-block win-rate with 97% which is 2% better than any other tackle in the league, Skura is 10th in the center rankings in that same category

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That is the most encouraging play by Patrick Queen so far, getting to that ball was a pro play, showing that kind of ability in zone coverage this early in his rookie season is awesome

there were a few wobbles against the browns and texans and he got victimised by the chiefs (as expected but we always have a tendency to over-react and assume that players can't improve when we see them early in their careers)

but since then he's looked like everything we could have hoped for - attacking blockers downfield, using his quickness to get off blocks and get through the trash, making good reads in the running game, showing his athleticism covering the flats and coming downhill from deep drops, has a feel for zones (still work to do not getting overeager and being pulled out of his zone) and has the athleticism to cover downfield in man (again stuff to work on here but the upside is tangible)

but on one of the most complex defences in the NFL that relies on communication and deception he's right at the heart of it and looks at home - he's going to be fun for at least the next 4 and a half seasons

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
people keep saying stuff like this here and i find it to be fundamentally completely untrue
yes we'd like him to have more sacks but he's consistently been creating pressure at a very high rate - he's top 15 in the NFL right new in pressures despite rushing a lot less than the rest of his counterparts

he's currently T-5th in pass-rush win rate with 27% with Joey Bosa only behind Garrett, TJ Watt, Jerry Hughes and Brian Burns

people always get way too stuck on a particular narrative with Judon based on personal biases because he's never had 10 sacks in a season but the tape tells a completely different story - would you like to see him finish more? absolutely... is he going to get a long-term deal? unlikely at this point... has he played well? 100% yes

btw sidenote: Ronnie Stanley is atop the league tackle rankings in terms of pass-block win-rate with 97% which is 2% better than any other tackle in the league, Skura is 10th in the center rankings in that same category
Skura has always been a decent pass blocker, it's his run blocking that is really bad and with this offense, it's obviously extremely important.

Another thing to consider is that Wink tends to put Judon in positions when he comes in unblocked or his sacks, atleast last season were mostly coverage sacks.