• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Penalties and Everything Else

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought this was basically widely known at this point.

Like I have about as much confidence in him getting his shit together and becoming a relevant, quality NFL player again as I do him going on some sort of like profanity-laced, physical assault filled tirade that results in him either dying or killing himself.

There is no question in my mind he has some serious mental health problems, and CTE would, at a minimum, help explain some of that.

I've been given no reason to believe this guy has changed at all. I live in South Florida and he was seeing my best friends cousin at the time. Dude is not all there

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The empty backfield is not working for Lamar this year because our pass blocking against the blitz has sucked bad .

i think that's more about reading - so much of what was great about lamar in empty vs the blitz last year was that he would see the free blitzer and back himself to step up/make enough time for the extra man to come free on the route

this year he's constantly backing away from the blitz pressure even if it doesnt get to him (which invariably makes the edges lose because their geography's off)

i think it's partly the OL in the sense that lamar doesn't trust them in those situations but it's also partly on lamar doing the exact opposite to what he's done last year in those situations

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The guy who's in prison for being convicted of dealing drugs multiple times... what has he learned? The guy who's in prison for getting 5 DUIs... what has he learned?

the guy with 5 DUIs is completely self-inflicted

the multiple time drug dealer not so much - he's learned that the society that he's supposed to live in won't allow him back into it, nor really allowed him in the first time around so the only route he has to surviving (because of the lack of welfare or alternative opportunities being unavailable to him) is to go back to something illegal

if you had a society where there was a reasonable route back into society for people who've done their time then i'd say you might have a point but you have a welfare system where people frequently fall out of the bottom of society for whatever reasons e.g. medical debt, losing their job, losing their home, divorce or many other reasons...

if you had a society where the legal system didn't criminalise certain groups at a higher rate than other groups then i'd say you might have a point

but you dont so i cant agree with that statement nor the premise that prisons are a good way of articulating that many people dont learn from their mistakes

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
tbf EDC did try and see how much it would cost to get all the way up for Cody Ford
That was unnecessary to begin with, the ravens have failed miserably at addressing the iOL because it seems as if they don’t believe it is a high value area of the team, I feel like anyone who had watched film could’ve predicted that we would regret taking Hayden hurst over will hernandez(among many others but were talking iOL and he was the obvious choice). It’s been a long running issue that hasn’t been addressed since KO. We draft for iOL on day 3 and even then we seem to favor big programs as the main trait, Ben powers and Ben bredeson were strange picks to me and it felt like they just took a name from a big school in round 4 and hope it sticks, I saw Ben powers as a round 6 type and didn’t watch bredeson at all.

we need to stop acting like iOL is disposable and draft there early, I swear if creed Humphrey or Wyatt Davis or Alex leatherwood is available for us in 2021 and we pass on them for a db or some shit, I’m gonna lose my shit. It seems extremely clear that Lamar’s offense needs a quality OL, period, Roman can’t save it, RBs can’t, neither can lamar, get an OL and let him operate FROM THE POCKET or ruin him and slam our SB window shut. We gotta be able to cleanly block a 4 man rush for 3-4 seconds routinely, we could last year, we can’t this year.

this year is looking like a real solid OL class early on, we gotta start treating it like an important position

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That was unnecessary to begin with, the ravens have failed miserably at addressing the iOL because it seems as if they don’t believe it is a high value area of the team, I feel like anyone who had watched film could’ve predicted that we would regret taking Hayden hurst over will hernandez(among many others but were talking iOL and he was the obvious choice). It’s been a long running issue that hasn’t been addressed since KO. We draft for iOL on day 3 and even then we seem to favor big programs as the main trait, Ben powers and Ben bredeson were strange picks to me and it felt like they just took a name from a big school in round 4 and hope it sticks, I saw Ben powers as a round 6 type and didn’t watch bredeson at all.

we need to stop acting like iOL is disposable and draft there early, I swear if creed Humphrey or Wyatt Davis or Alex leatherwood is available for us in 2021 and we pass on them for a db or some shit, I’m gonna lose my shit. It seems extremely clear that Lamar’s offense needs a quality OL, period, Roman can’t save it, RBs can’t, neither can lamar, get an OL and let him operate FROM THE POCKET or ruin him and slam our SB window shut. We gotta be able to cleanly block a 4 man rush for 3-4 seconds routinely, we could last year, we can’t this year.

this year is looking like a real solid OL class early on, we gotta start treating it like an important position

part of it obviously is that with Yanda on the team we didnt need to invest heavily on interior guys because he made them better just by the virtue of playing with him

that's obviously not the case now so our demand at that spot should have changed - id expect us to prioritise an IOL if there's a quality one available

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
the guy with 5 DUIs is completely self-inflicted

the multiple time drug dealer not so much - he's learned that the society that he's supposed to live in won't allow him back into it, nor really allowed him in the first time around so the only route he has to surviving (because of the lack of welfare or alternative opportunities being unavailable to him) is to go back to something illegal

if you had a society where there was a reasonable route back into society for people who've done their time then i'd say you might have a point but you have a welfare system where people frequently fall out of the bottom of society for whatever reasons e.g. medical debt, losing their job, losing their home, divorce or many other reasons...

if you had a society where the legal system didn't criminalise certain groups at a higher rate than other groups then i'd say you might have a point

but you dont so i cant agree with that statement nor the premise that prisons are a good way of articulating that many people dont learn from their mistakes
Yeah we're not going to agree on this, and its not the right avenue to discuss it. The thought that people have been incarcerated can't get employment isn't rooted in anything factual. Its true they will be blackballed from certain industries, due to those industries requiring a higher level of integrity, security, discretion, etc., and because they simply don't have the skills to work in those industries, but that was also true before they were criminals. There is no shortage of employers in the States who will hire felons, misdemeanors, etc. They're just not the type of jobs that are likely going to allow vast career growth and/or pay a "living wage" without working substantial amounts of hours, which in my eyes, is kind of the whole purpose of the punishment to begin with.

Regardless, none of this has to do with AB. AB, in my opinion, is clinically unstable between the ears, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my football team.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah we're not going to agree on this, and its not the right avenue to discuss it. The thought that people have been incarcerated can't get employment isn't rooted in anything factual. Its true they will be blackballed from certain industries, due to those industries requiring a higher level of integrity, security, discretion, etc., and because they simply don't have the skills to work in those industries, but that was also true before they were criminals. There is no shortage of employers in the States who will hire felons, misdemeanors, etc. They're just not the type of jobs that are likely going to allow vast career growth and/or pay a "living wage" without working substantial amounts of hours, which in my eyes, is kind of the whole purpose of the punishment to begin with.

Regardless, none of this has to do with AB. AB, in my opinion, is clinically unstable between the ears, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my football team.
as you said, you two have different viewpoints. It may be good for you to move on.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
that was one of the few points i didnt agree with - conceptually we dont draft for need, especially in the 2nd round - on their board dobbins was clearly the top player remaining so you have to make that pick regardless of positional need

the assumption also is that we'd allotted that 2nd pick to "fix" our running game but if we hadnt drafted dobbins there's nothing to suggest we would have drafted a guard - the IOL class this year was notably sparse

it also ignores the fact that we held the 60th pick too and could have easily taken damien lewis there if we wanted but we traded out of that pick - and even at pick 71 (where we took madubuike), the only IOL to go between our 2nd and 3rd picks was damien lewis

jonah jackson and every other interior offensive lineman who was available when we selected dobbins other than damien lewis was available still at pick 71

we just didnt like the interior OL options which i completely understand - it was a really weak interior class

And you're correct in all of those points. It's why I don't second guess picks, for the most part. We don't actually know the exact value they have on players. but we can make some educated guesses based upon who they picka nd who they don't. Of those you mentioned, but for Dobbins being the best available at that pick, they probably stuck to their value scales. Doubtful they had a player valued higher on their board or they would have picked him and then maybe we'd be talking about how great it would have been to have Dobbins to help out. ^_^ I think losing a HOFer is far worse and impactful than not picking this or that iOLmen that may or may not have worked out...

I've been on the bandwagon that the O-line needs adjustment and bodies for a few weeks. It's clear they aren't gelling very well, so Roman needs to find what they do well and get better at that. We proved last year that sticking with what you're good at and having a couple other options in situations of choice pays pretty good dividends. I'm concerned with the play but I'm patient and feel that they will improve - - - barring injury, which could be a killer! Then it would really be time to worry. But Llamar needs to help too and not scramble and run from protection. He gets outside of his remaining blockers when rolling to his right.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And you're correct in all of those points. It's why I don't second guess picks, for the most part. We don't actually know the exact value they have on players. but we can make some educated guesses based upon who they picka nd who they don't. Of those you mentioned, but for Dobbins being the best available at that pick, they probably stuck to their value scales. Doubtful they had a player valued higher on their board or they would have picked him and then maybe we'd be talking about how great it would have been to have Dobbins to help out. ^_^ I think losing a HOFer is far worse and impactful than not picking this or that iOLmen that may or may not have worked out...

I've been on the bandwagon that the O-line needs adjustment and bodies for a few weeks. It's clear they aren't gelling very well, so Roman needs to find what they do well and get better at that. We proved last year that sticking with what you're good at and having a couple other options in situations of choice pays pretty good dividends. I'm concerned with the play but I'm patient and feel that they will improve - - - barring injury, which could be a killer! Then it would really be time to worry. But Llamar needs to help too and not scramble and run from protection. He gets outside of his remaining blockers when rolling to his right.

we know that this team and organisation really value analytics and notoriously analytics dont like linebackers and running backs and yet the ravens drafted a LB in round 1 and a RB in round 2 which suggests to me that they were incredibly high on their board vs everyone else available because the positional value of both those picks was lower

so i think its a 100% guarantee based on that information that dobbins was the highest rated player on their board and probably by quite some distance or else they probably would have traded down from that 55th pick to gather more picks just like they did with pick 60

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
we know that this team and organisation really value analytics and notoriously analytics dont like linebackers and running backs and yet the ravens drafted a LB in round 1 and a RB in round 2 which suggests to me that they were incredibly high on their board vs everyone else available because the positional value of both those picks was lower

so i think its a 100% guarantee based on that information that dobbins was the highest rated player on their board and probably by quite some distance or else they probably would have traded down from that 55th pick to gather more picks just like they did with pick 60
i would be willing to bet dobbins was 2-3 spots behind queen on the big board, i feel like we may have valued marlon davidson and chase claypool highly, i dont see any other players between our 1 and 2 that i feel like we valued over dobbins.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i would be willing to bet dobbins was 2-3 spots behind queen on the big board, i feel like we may have valued marlon davidson and chase claypool highly, i dont see any other players between our 1 and 2 that i feel like we valued over dobbins.

i think it came out pretty soon post-draft that tee higgins was super high on our board and if queen was gone higgins was next on our board at 28

if we valued higgins that high, it does suggest we'd value claypool highly (especially given the similar athletic profile as Boykin and the fact they came out of the same system in college)

marlon davidson would seem like a ravens kind of prospect but there's been no specific buzz (or clues) regarding their thoughts on him

they also said they had a 1st round grade on dobbins and thought he'd get taken in that sort of range (Hortiz said they had high grades on 4 RBs at the top - CEH, Dobbins, Taylor and Swift) and I think they felt extremely lucky that not only did dobbins fall because he was taken last of those 4 guys but that a guy not in their top tier of RBs got taken ahead too

so it wouldnt surprise me if Dobbins had a round 1 grade - we know he was at least 2 spots behind Queen on the big board though because of Higgins

Hortiz mentioned their 2nd tier being Cam Akers, AJ Dillon and I think Zack Moss (may be misremembering on moss though)

another unspoken of prospects between our 1st and 2nd picks who i feel like we'd have been interested in is Robert Hunt, but you're right that there may not have been many prospects we would have actually picked (i think there will have been some of those defensive backs high on our board but we would have traded out of that selection if 1 or 2 of those guys were there when we picked)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think it came out pretty soon post-draft that tee higgins was super high on our board and if queen was gone higgins was next on our board at 28

if we valued higgins that high, it does suggest we'd value claypool highly (especially given the similar athletic profile as Boykin and the fact they came out of the same system in college)

marlon davidson would seem like a ravens kind of prospect but there's been no specific buzz (or clues) regarding their thoughts on him

they also said they had a 1st round grade on dobbins and thought he'd get taken in that sort of range (Hortiz said they had high grades on 4 RBs at the top - CEH, Dobbins, Taylor and Swift) and I think they felt extremely lucky that not only did dobbins fall because he was taken last of those 4 guys but that a guy not in their top tier of RBs got taken ahead too

so it wouldnt surprise me if Dobbins had a round 1 grade - we know he was at least 2 spots behind Queen on the big board though because of Higgins

Hortiz mentioned their 2nd tier being Cam Akers, AJ Dillon and I think Zack Moss (may be misremembering on moss though)

another unspoken of prospects between our 1st and 2nd picks who i feel like we'd have been interested in is Robert Hunt, but you're right that there may not have been many prospects we would have actually picked (i think there will have been some of those defensive backs high on our board but we would have traded out of that selection if 1 or 2 of those guys were there when we picked)
Man I’m glad we weren’t left to take Higgins, I think he may be solid but I’m so much happier about queen lol.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
Man I’m glad we weren’t left to take Higgins, I think he may be solid but I’m so much happier about queen lol.

Agreed. Imagining this defense without Queen is unpleasant.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
pernell mcphee the last 2 weeks has been awesome, he's been the least lauded guy so far this year in that ravens front but he's been quietly dominant off the edge (ironically i think he's been least effective inside despite that being where he made his money in his first stint in baltimore - and even last year pre-injury)
He's done a really good job setting the edge, he does remind me of 2014 McPhee and has been a force there. Bowser has stepped up his game and if Judon can get it together then this DL will help this defense make some noise.

D1City55

Pro Bowler

what a weird answer... it's happened so often why is it always boykin, is it simply because he's furthest away from Lamar because he always plays on the outside - that seems exceedingly unlikely

and if it really is a hearing problem, then it's not going to be any better when there are actually fans attending in full stadiums...

and if it is boykin really just not hearing the audible then that's really a problem because lamar therefore audibled into a play that made boykin the 1st read in 1v1 coverage to convert a 3rd down in a big spot and he not only did not come up big he literally ran the wrong route

This could be a massive problem. Mistakes like this could easily lead to a turnover. This just makes me more puzzled with Boykin atm and it's unfortunate because we don't really have much to turn to a WR2. I like Duvernay but he's far from a finished product at the moment and forcing him there won't really make the offense that much better. The draft network did a break down of Boykin pre-draft and I have to say that a lot of this was on the money, you could really see it on the NFL level.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/miles-boykin