• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Penalties and Everything Else

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Justin Tucker is really the goat. I'm sure we would've lost this game if we had another kicker than Tucker.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Justin Tucker is really the goat. I'm sure we would've lost this game if we had another kicker than Tucker.

tucker's the only point scoring guy from the flacco era left other than nick boyle, chris moore and ronnie stanley (and let's be honest nick boyle spent most of his first 2 years suspended)

he knows the hard times and he built his career out of making those stilted drives successes

this is easy for him lol - he's probably just excited that he gets the chance to kick field goals this year unlike last year

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
maybe it's premature but i really think I'm done with Boykin - i dont care if he's getting open if he and lamar are never gonna be on the same page

it seems to be a weekly occurrence right now - and it's not happening with anyone else on the roster
I don’t think it’s premature. He needs to ride pine .

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
Roman must change the offensive play calling or we can only hope he gets a head coaching job .

I am not surprised like last year with any of his play calling .

Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
we need to start finding a replacement for boykin right now. AB will be reinstated very soon and frankly we need him, its a handicap for the defense when they can key in on hollywood and andrews and we are still gonna throw to them.

that said, lamar needs to get it the fuck together. i put a ton of blame on roman but lamar isnt executing the gameplan and he should be, hes an mvp and our team is built around him, he needs to be able to execute even in uncomfortable sequences. likewise, roman needs to stop going so hard against the grain as far as lamars skillset goes, he is at his best when he takes a 3-5-7 drop and keeps eyes on the field so he can see the play develop and the defense flow, the plays where we take his eyes off the field for the first 2 full seconds of the play with the boots and the rollouts and those play fakes where lamar turns all the way around and then rolls out, are failing, because lamar cant stay in his rhythm and within his mechanics and he cant see the field so not only is he breaking down mechanically he is losing his poise because he cant see the field.

lamar needs to execute better but roman is really fucking up all the progress lamar made his first 2 years by changing his game to something too cute and exotic.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
now that my initial overreactions are out of the way im not so worried about the defence at all

they got screwed over by some flukey plays including a fumble recovered for a td, a jump ball to the heavens among others (including that ridiculous DPI call) and dropped 3 interceptions - queen, mcphee and elliott and also had another interception taken off the board by an unnecessary roughing the passer by jihad ward (had literally no reason to make that play)

if even 1 of those plays gets corrected then this is still a 2 score game, if we just make the easy ones then this is an easy blowout

our defence is fine and they came up big at the end (i'd be less willing to excuse these flukey plays if they hadn't got the big stop on the 2pt conversion)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
There were a bunch of ticky tack penalties called today, none bigger than the 49 yard NON Pass Interference on Marcus Peters.

However we had 4 penalites on Ronnie Stanley today. This could have been his worst game as a Raven if not, it was one of the worst and it was a huge reason we couldn't get anything on track in the second half.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
All I have to say is what the fuck was that? I really don't understand how we've managed to turn a 5-1 start of a season into something so painful. Idk maybe my eye is completely off. I thought Clevland was gonna whip Pitt today and the exact opposite happened which really gives me pause for when we play them. The team that played the second half of our game today would not win more than 2 games in a 16 game season. I'm almost never the person who says the sky is falling, but what reason do we have to believe we beat Pitt after the bye?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i dont care what it is but we need to either find another weapon or we need to start changing these route concepts

it cant be true that defences are simultaneously able to sell out for the run and also lock us up downfield - either we have a massive talent deficit on offence (which seems unlikely) or the offensive design is poor - be that schematically or otherwise

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
All I have to say is what the fuck was that? I really don't understand how we've managed to turn a 5-1 start of a season into something so painful. Idk maybe my eye is completely off. I thought Clevland was gonna whip Pitt today and the exact opposite happened which really gives me pause for when we play them. The team that played the second half of our game today would not win more than 2 games in a 16 game season. I'm almost never the person who says the sky is falling, but what reason do we have to believe we beat Pitt after the bye?
I think the offense will get fixed and the 1st half defense is more like our typical defense.

BTW, Devin Bush tore his ACL today.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i just dont understand how one of the most efficient offences in the history of the NFL can regress to become one of the worst in the NFL in the space of 1 offseason despite losing only 1 starter while also adding reinforcements

like Yanda was amazing but his absence didn't break this offence alone

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Eagles were supposed to have a weak linebacker group, and we couldn't expose that today.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
i just dont understand how one of the most efficient offences in the history of the NFL can regress to become one of the worst in the NFL in the space of 1 offseason despite losing only 1 starter while also adding reinforcements

like Yanda was amazing but his absence didn't break this offence alone
This happens when you're beating opponents mostly with your scheme and not based on having the better players. Scheme got figured out and Roman couldn't expand our offense - we gave him better WRs and yet he's not using them.