• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Win, The Penalties and Everything Else

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Well ET's release has more to do with how the locker room viewed him vs the gang bang he put on with his brother that almost ended in his demise lol. I'll wait and see on AB's case, if it's proven false sign him if not then oh well we move on. But it seems at the very least our Franchise QB and a few other skills players would love to have him, and with our O struggling-ish perhaps that is enough

AB doesn't have a good image himself and has been considered a cancer in the locker room as well. There is a reason why The Steelers traded him .There's a reason why no team has decided to sign him to a contract even while he serves his suspension. I don't know if AB sexual assaults case will be proven false this year since it's been going on since last year and not sure if The Ravens have the time to wait on that without any proven evidence that he was proven not guilty. Lamar Jackson and Hollywood Brown are the only Ravens to my understanding that have endorse The Ravens to sign AB but Jackson is a young man that still has a lot to learn in life and Hollywood is simply just AB cousin. Why wouldn't he give his cousin some endorsement and all three of them are from Florida. Lamar Jackson is also the same quarterback that was endorsing The Ravens to sign Tyreek Hill while Hill was dealing with a case involving him harming his son which possibly was leading to The Chiefs to cut him.

organizedchaos21

Practice Squad
A lot of big plays or big non-plays are being brought up, but you don’t even have to bring those up, if we don’t have so many illegal formations bringing back quality gains on first and 2nd down then this game probably never gets close.

The Ravens had 4 alignment penalties yesterday: 3 illegal formations, and 1 ineligible man downfield (Boyle [questionably] on LoS, covered by WR also on LoS [I think Brown]). They gained a total of 9 yards, all coming on a single play. The other 3 snaps resulted in incomplete passes.

They lost a 6 yard gain to Boyle on a ticky-tack illegal block above the waist (Q2, 07:12, the third straight play with a penalty), 12 yard gain to Mekari's hold (Q4, 08:29), and a 5 yard gain to Ricard's hold (Q4, 03:42). 3 other penalties were false starts (presnap).

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
Personally, I would pump the brakes on AB. He's good but I honestly don't see Lamar getting the ball to him often enough. Everyone here knows what happens next with that...::cough ET::

I think Greg Roman is to blame for the offense looking sloppy today...flat out. Defense took the 2nd half off...I mean it happens...hopefully this game opens there eyes a bit. I mean keep in mind our defense is pretty young. Outside of that Marlon was everywhere...he remains one of my favorite players.

John should address the game plan with Greg Roman because that was like watching someone try to fit a square peg in a round hole. I would also vote to promote Duvernay immediately. Strong hands, smooth route runner. Oh...and last thing...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...please acquire OL help.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
What’s worse for the locker room in your opinion... the risk of signing AB, or desperately needing a wr for a super bowl push and not signing this all star wr that the players are clamoring for and is also the cousin of our WR1?

the latter is much worse for the locker room, if the offense was looking good then I wouldn’t have this point of view, but what does it say when you have the piece right there to get it clicking and you just say no...

AB may be quiet now but how humble do you really think he's going to be in Greg Roman offense? Lamar Jackson himself isn't showing all that much chemistry or solid awareness on the field to throw to other receivers and we suppose to expect AB to just be humble when he's wide open and not have a temper tantrum after LJ decides to throw to Mark Andrews instead?. Doesn't add up to me especially If things don't work out you putting your franchise quarterback along with your first round receiver in a emotional situation that may not end up bad. The Ravens may have solid leadership in their locker room but that same leadership wasn't good enough to keep Earl Thomas from showing up late to meetings and telling The Ravens he only was late cause had to get his car washed but yet it suppose to keep AB in check ? I understand that AB could be pretty helpful for The Ravens but I don't think The Ravens offensive problems get resolved by signing him. Roman needs to get better with his creativity with his passing attack, the offensive line run blocking needs to get better because it's making all the running backs look slow, and Lamar Jackson just needs to get better at throwing the ball. It doesn't matter what receiver The Ravens sign, trade for, or decide to not add a receiver at all if LJ doesn't get better throwing the ball.

Reactions: cdp

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
One other thing I noticed about this game is that
Should we start another thread Fire Roman ?

...maybe make an alternative John H one was well

I am not a Harbaugh fan...at all. I think HE should approach his staff and question their decisions around game plans. Greg Roman rolled out a offense to beat the eagles but there was nothing special with that approach in regards to avoiding the opponents strengths. No tweaks...basically we're just more talented.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
- Offensive playcalling was reminiscent of Cam freakin' Cameron. Sheesh! :-1:
- Lamar's constant sidearming is alarming to me. I don't like it!
- I'd love to see more downfield shots for big chunks to our receivers SOMETIMES opposed to just the TE's.
- The rollout plays to move the pocket were annoying as hell and would take Lamar back 5-10 yards at times and end in throwaways. :brickwall:
- Defense set the tone early and Calais was a BEAST! They started to fizzle later in the game though.
- OFFENSIVE LINE WAS PURE TRASH! Too many penalties!

Sure, the Ravens are 5-1 and that's great but the Ravens haven't looked pristine in their execution for a few weeks now. Bye week!

FIX IT!

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

So Cole's post is a great take.

It's hard for me to have many takeaways from this game. The offense still struggled to move the ball consistently, but that's also not a one game problem, so its mostly status quo.

1. Offensive line was terrible. They were pedestrian in protection, and the penalties were terrible. 8 offensive penalties called on the Oline alone, with 6 being accepted. To further illustrate that...

Ravens ran 65 offensive plays (67, minus two kneels). 21 of those plays involved 10+ yards on distance to a first down, excluding 1st and down. That means that 1 out of every 3 offensive plays, ignoring 1st and 10s, involved us needing 10+ yards to get a first down. That means we were in second and third and long frequently, or 1st and long after a penalty. You REALLY hamstring your playbooks when its 2nd and 10+ a lot.

2. Want to see a stark contract from last season:
Break down of rushing plays by our RBs (not Lamar):
0, 2, 9, 4, -2, 2, 3, 2, 5, -2, 0, 16, 5, 6, 2, 1, -2, -1, 4, 6, 1, 0, 5, -4, 3, 1, 5, -3

Can't argue its a volume issue, since there's 28 RB carries in there, which is more than plenty.
A grand total of one carry over 10 yards (Dobbins 16 yard run)
28.5% of runs were 5+ yards
Roughly 2/3 of our RB carries were for 3 yards or less
Roughly 1/3 of our RB carries were for negative or zero yardage

THIS is the problem. It may seem obvious, but we're sucking running the ball. The box score will show you 5 YPC and 182 rushing yards, but its a mirage. It's all Lamar. He's got 9 for 108, the rest of the team has 28 for 74. That ain't good.

Its pretty clear now... if you can slow down the Ravens rushing attack, you can keep this offense in check. The ONLY way I see to fix that, outside of much better play from our Oline, is to let Lamar run more. I'm not even sure that will yield productivity, because Lamar isn't going to average 12 YPC if he gets more carries. Much of his effectiveness at running yesterday was due to lower frequency, with improvised runs yielding much bigger chunks.

Team needs to get back to more rushing volume (did better yesterday, just not effective). We've got some tough teams on our schedule against the run coming up (namely Pittsburgh), and if our backs are only going to get 3 YPC, we're going to continue to struggle to score points.

3. I honestly don't really read much into the defense's "collapse" yesterday. If we look at the breakdown:
a) shut them out in the first half. They had ONE total yard in their first 5 drives. They had one long drive towards end of half, but we clamped down on short yardage and made the stop. Missed FG drive was largely a product of a ticky tack, should have been non-called, roughing penalty on Campbell after the Sanders run. Ball was intercepted and would have ended the drive.
b) We give up the one big long run to Sanders in the middle of the 3rd. Definitely one big breakdown, but something that can be corrected.
c) Blown coverage on late 3rd quarter TD drive leads to big play, Ravens almost force stoppage on 3rd and goal at the 5, but Jihad Ward had a stupid roughing penalty to keep drive alive.
d) I basically write off the final TD drive for the Eagles entirely, because its a bogus DPI call on Peters. Pretty standard no flag on that play.

So I'm seeing the defense on the hook for somewhere around 14-17 points, primarily from 2-3 big plays given up. That's a pretty comfortable win. One bad penalty call leads to a TD, and another was a stupid penalty that would have stalled the drive.

Obviously not happy with the big runs from Sanders and Wentz, but I also think our expectations were a bit too high after a dominant first half.

purp

Practice Squad
There were a bunch of ticky tack penalties called today, none bigger than the 49 yard NON Pass Interference on Marcus Peters.

However we had 4 penalites on Ronnie Stanley today. This could have been his worst game as a Raven if not, it was one of the worst and it was a huge reason we couldn't get anything on track in the second half.

This is on Roman and Harbs tbh. Teams have pre-game meetings with refs and identify things they see on tape to watch. Remember when all of a sudden Michael Oher went from "the quickest first step at LT" to "False start machine"? He didn't change, the way the refs looked at him did.

Eagles clearly harped on the way we line up. We've been playing around the guys on the LOS since we got burned by the Pats in the playoffs way back when. Guys didn't suddenly forget how line up on the LOS. It's a problem with the scheme.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The Ravens had 4 alignment penalties yesterday: 3 illegal formations, and 1 ineligible man downfield (Boyle [questionably] on LoS, covered by WR also on LoS [I think Brown]). They gained a total of 9 yards, all coming on a single play. The other 3 snaps resulted in incomplete passes.

They lost a 6 yard gain to Boyle on a ticky-tack illegal block above the waist (Q2, 07:12, the third straight play with a penalty), 12 yard gain to Mekari's hold (Q4, 08:29), and a 5 yard gain to Ricard's hold (Q4, 03:42). 3 other penalties were false starts (presnap).
In other words, positive gains turning into 5 yard losses and getting us behind in the down and distance, which I said.

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
AB doesn't have a good image himself and has been considered a cancer in the locker room as well. There is a reason why The Steelers traded him .There's a reason why no team has decided to sign him to a contract even while he serves his suspension. I don't know if AB sexual assaults case will be proven false this year since it's been going on since last year and not sure if The Ravens have the time to wait on that without any proven evidence that he was proven not guilty. Lamar Jackson and Hollywood Brown are the only Ravens to my understanding that have endorse The Ravens to sign AB but Jackson is a young man that still has a lot to learn in life and Hollywood is simply just AB cousin. Why wouldn't he give his cousin some endorsement and all three of them are from Florida. Lamar Jackson is also the same quarterback that was endorsing The Ravens to sign Tyreek Hill while Hill was dealing with a case involving him harming his son which possibly was leading to The Chiefs to cut him.

I'm not gonna stand on a soapbox with some psuedomoralistic stance on Tyreek or AB, this is the NFL and that means millions if not billions of dollars if you win. If AB is good enough for Lamar then I'm fine with it. I think we can at least put up a fight against the Chiefs and Titans in the playoffs without AB but with a "Functioning AB" I think we win those games with room to spare.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
AB may be quiet now but how humble do you really think he's going to be in Greg Roman offense? Lamar Jackson himself isn't showing all that much chemistry or solid awareness on the field to throw to other receivers and we suppose to expect AB to just be humble when he's wide open and not have a temper tantrum after LJ decides to throw to Mark Andrews instead?. Doesn't add up to me especially If things don't work out you putting your franchise quarterback along with your first round receiver in a emotional situation that may not end up bad. The Ravens may have solid leadership in their locker room but that same leadership wasn't good enough to keep Earl Thomas from showing up late to meetings and telling The Ravens he only was late cause had to get his car washed but yet it suppose to keep AB in check ? I understand that AB could be pretty helpful for The Ravens but I don't think The Ravens offensive problems get resolved by signing him. Roman needs to get better with his creativity with his passing attack, the offensive line run blocking needs to get better because it's making all the running backs look slow, and Lamar Jackson just needs to get better at throwing the ball. It doesn't matter what receiver The Ravens sign, trade for, or decide to not add a receiver at all if LJ doesn't get better throwing the ball.
We aren’t looking for a 4 year contract, we are looking for about 6 weeks assuming it takes 2 weeks to get comfortably acclimated for game action, and a playoff run, that’s it.

AB has behaved atrociously over the years, but I’m sorry you can not convince me that his recent experiences haven’t humbled him enough for a 2 and a half month stretch on a team that he could make a run at a super bowl with.

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
We aren’t looking for a 4 year contract, we are looking for about 6 weeks assuming it takes 2 weeks to get comfortably acclimated for game action, and a playoff run, that’s it.

AB has behaved atrociously over the years, but I’m sorry you can not convince me that his recent experiences haven’t humbled him enough for a 2 and a half month stretch on a team that he could make a run at a super bowl with.

Exactly this is legit a short term rental with little downside, he acts up he's gone he acts like he is now with a fraction of what he's capable of and it could mean the difference between Lamar being 0-3 in the playoffs and 3-2 with a superbowl victory

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Should we start another thread Fire Roman ?
No HC is goint to fire his OC after a 5-1 start.
Does anybody know if the roles of Culley, Urban and Roman changed? I wonder if they rearranged responsibilities.
Also who thought it would be a great idea to replace a hof guard with a college LT? We're not generating enough push and i don't see our guards climbing to the second level as well as last year. I say it's time to start Colon-Castillo. We need a mauler up front.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler

I'm not gonna stand on a soapbox with some psuedomoralistic stance on Tyreek or AB, this is the NFL and that means millions if not billions of dollars if you win. If AB is good enough for Lamar then I'm fine with it. I think we can at least put up a fight against the Chiefs and Titans in the playoffs without AB but with a "Functioning AB" I think we win those games with room to spare.

You guys know how serious The Ravens stance are when it comes to domestic violence but for some reason AB talent is going to be so undeniable that The Ravens are going to be more than willing to sign him? Come on man there's probably 95 percent chance The Ravens are not going to sign AB at all base off his sexual assault case that's still pending to this day. It's most likely not going to happen and you guys know this.

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
You guys know how serious The Ravens stance are when it comes to domestic violence but for some reason AB talent is going to be so undeniable that The Ravens are going to be more than willing to sign him? Come on man there's probably 95 percent chance The Ravens are not going to sign AB at all base off his sexual assault case that's still pending to this day. It's most likely not going to happen and you guys know this.

I understand that, I'm only going based off of what Our franchise QB has asked for and the struggles we've had. The Ravens probably won't sign him based on that issue or his numerous behavioral issues oh well no big deal. I don't care about the Ravens stance on DV I care about them winning using whatever means is necessary.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

And you can't convince me that AB would be humbled by literally anything. There isn't a single shred of evidence of that.

But there is evidence that he's not. A currently unemployed player saying he won't play for the Bears (who are 5-1 mind you and leading their division) because he doesn't like their QB.

Stay classy, AB. Happy to know he won't be here. I'd sign Earl Thomas back before I signed him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I also don't know what kind of "talent" we're getting from a 32 year old player, who may or may not be anywhere near game shape, and who's been out of the league for over a year at this point. I'm quite confident I'm not getting 2015 AB, so...

Justin Diaz-Thomas

Practice Squad
I also don't know what kind of "talent" we're getting from a 32 year old player, who may or may not be anywhere near game shape, and who's been out of the league for over a year at this point. I'm quite confident I'm not getting 2015 AB, so...

I think that's a fair argument but AB at 50% of what he was in 2015 is still 100% better than Boykin and Snead lol. I suppose it's a non factor at this point I'd just like to see something done for that WR1/2 position for when teams take away Andrews, Boykin ain't it and it might be asking too much of Devin and Proche right now.