• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Fire Dean Pees Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So yeah, don't mind me just creating some of our old famous threads and starting a new one(Flacco thread so people can complain about Flacco in one thread) lol. I think this thread may have more meaning after the draft. When you look at what we did and how we focused on getting younger at pass rush, added another Marlon in the first), then in FA the past couple years with Carr, Jefferson, and Weddle last year.

Has Ozzie pretty much ensured that Pees has no excuses when things go wrong(like blowing 4th quarter leads) and that it's truly make or break for Pees in 2017? I feel as if Ozzie pretty much saying he's giving Pees the weapons to do his job better or he may be gone whether mid season, or at the end of the season. What do you guys think? After a defensive heavy draft, and spending in FA the past two seasons, is it make or break for Dean?

K-Dog

MVP
Considering how many weeks we had a top ten defense last season with the injuries we had, I think Pees haters are going to seriously lack ammunition this season.

RavensPunkXVX

Pro Bowler
I think it is make or break. At some point, you can't just be contingent on having a solid defense, but giving up big plays and still losing games. It's all about the W's. He has a loaded defense, barring any injuries, he should have all the tools he needs to help win games defensively.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If we don't field one of the best units in the league, and if we give up a bunch of fourth quarter leads, then I think it's over.

But I don't think it happens. I think this is finally the year we all understand why harbs has kept him around. He is brilliant with the front seven, and now that we have pass rush we should do real damage. And his secondary scheme is essentially a man-zone concept, jimmy is often isolated in man coverage or in a isolated zone look, while the rest of the secondary is in a cover 2 top down concept, often rotating assignments for the sake of confusion. This doesn't work without attacking cover 2 corners and a high iq safety tandem.

We literally have the exact ideal dream lineup for a pees defense. He has to be a happy man. And the way he likes to call disguised zone drops from his linebackers, I'm sure he is salivating over the idea of Mosley and bowser up front.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
JO.....

We're in a new home now! Out with the old and in with the new my man! Just messing with ya. Do your thing bro!
:D

Last edited:

theFRANCHISE

Practice Squad
wouldnt that be a turn-up - he has a dominant defence and then that's finally the year he gets fired lol
I think the saving grace of the defense is the talent of the players and the skill of the positional coaches. Pees doesn't know how to call plays when the offense has given the D any sort of cushion, and that goes with Harbaugh's mantra that the team needs to learn how to finish games.

Too often, I've said that the team has scored too quickly at the end of games -- and no one should ever say that's a bad thing about any team, but with this one, that had become a huge liability with the defense's lack of urgency. It's why the team leads the league in games decided by fewer than 10 points, and in games settled in the final quarter.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He absolutely has all the weapons he needs at this point and I'm as sick as everyone else is with losing 4th quarter leads. Now he has a pass rush and a secondary, but what happens if the offense doesn't put the defense in position to succeed. It's a team effort and works both ways.

theFRANCHISE

Practice Squad
He absolutely has all the weapons he needs at this point and I'm as sick as everyone else is with losing 4th quarter leads. Now he has a pass rush and a secondary, but what happens if the offense doesn't put the defense in position to succeed. It's a team effort and works both ways.
In fairness to the offense, there have been several moments over the past couple of seasons where the offense has erased a deficit in the second half, only for the defense to choke. And vice versa, of course -- but the most glaring instance of the D's failings was the Steelers game this past Christmas Day, when Juice scored to take the lead, only for the secondary to collapse.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think the saving grace of the defense is the talent of the players and the skill of the positional coaches. Pees doesn't know how to call plays when the offense has given the D any sort of cushion, and that goes with Harbaugh's mantra that the team needs to learn how to finish games.

Too often, I've said that the team has scored too quickly at the end of games -- and no one should ever say that's a bad thing about any team, but with this one, that had become a huge liability with the defense's lack of urgency. It's why the team leads the league in games decided by fewer than 10 points, and in games settled in the final quarter.
Heck, we lead in games decided by under 8 points (one score)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
In fairness to the offense, there have been several moments over the past couple of seasons where the offense has erased a deficit in the second half, only for the defense to choke. And vice versa, of course -- but the most glaring instance of the D's failings was the Steelers game this past Christmas Day, when Juice scored to take the lead, only for the secondary to collapse.
Absolutely. I was watching the Christmas Day game on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. More Ravens fans than Steeler fans. That place was rockin....tough one to lose, but a great game either way.

theFRANCHISE

Practice Squad
Absolutely. I was watching the Christmas Day game on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. More Ravens fans than Steeler fans. That place was rockin....tough one to lose, but a great game either way.
I was watching that Christmas Day game at my in-laws, and you have to keep in mind, it was a mixture of Ravens, Cowboys, Colts, Eagles, and Bengals fans (my wife started rooting for Cincy because of Ocho Cinco) -- and we all wanted the Steelers to lose so badly, so we were all silent at the end of the game and were even more offended when the NFL Network had on a (scheduled) documentary about the Rooney family immediately after.

Worst Christmas ever. lol.

The Greek

Veteran
So yeah, don't mind me just creating some of our old famous threads and starting a new one(Flacco thread so people can complain about Flacco in one thread) lol. I think this thread may have more meaning after the draft. When you look at what we did and how we focused on getting younger at pass rush, added another Marlon in the first), then in FA the past couple years with Carr, Jefferson, and Weddle last year.

Has Ozzie pretty much ensured that Pees has no excuses when things go wrong(like blowing 4th quarter leads) and that it's truly make or break for Pees in 2017? I feel as if Ozzie pretty much saying he's giving Pees the weapons to do his job better or he may be gone whether mid season, or at the end of the season. What do you guys think? After a defensive heavy draft, and spending in FA the past two seasons, is it make or break for Dean?
i have criticized pees for years and wished harbs canned him after last season. sure the defense finished #7 but against the playoff teams we faced the defense was not good. i agree there can no longer be any excuses made ifor him f the defense struggles. hope he proves me wrong.

We've brought in enough help that I don't want to hear injury as an excuse for failure unless the squad is just decimated. If we lose Jimmy again, we can't just say "oh well" if the unit goes into the tank again. If he can't have the defense prepared in a way where we can fill in for injury and not fall off a cliff, that's a problem that will need to be addressed by a new coordinator.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
As long as we don't go softy in critical situations I'll give him a pass but as some may know I'm not a supporter.

The Greek

Veteran
As long as we don't go softy in critical situations I'll give him a pass but as some may know I'm not a supporter.
that has been his biggest problem. he goes into prevent instead of sticking with what was working. atlanta did the same thing in the superbowl and it cost them

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that has been his biggest problem. he goes into prevent instead of sticking with what was working. atlanta did the same thing in the superbowl and it cost them
in many games he was cover 0. Christmas Day game had us in a full out pass rush and we just didn't get there. We weren't getting to the qb the last qtr of thr year.

Status
Not open for further replies.