• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

First Jacquouille Mock for 2018

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Okay, I have 20min to write this one down so let's not waste time with useless speeches. This one is based mostly on players that I liked because as Ozzie taught me, a good mock draft is a mock draft with good players, end of the story. Here goes:

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Deon Cain
For my money and for now, Deon Cain is the best WR in this class. The more I watch, the more I like. He's fast, he's not the tallest but he has plenty of size at 6'1, he plays really big and can climb the ladder, has good hands, and most importantly he's a magnificent route runner. That's not to say he has a very developped route tree, but his understanding of leverage, his feet quickness and his maturity as a route runner is exceptionnal. I was disappointed to not see him produce more this year but when turning on the tape it's obvious he is a victim of his QB and the running first offense Clemson plays. Cain is a complete WR and he has the demeanor to be a true No1 in the NFL.

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Nick Chubb
Yes, I know, it's becoming redundant. But fuck it, Nick Chubb is born to be a Raven and to run under Greg Roman. It's written somewhere in its DNA. This guy's vision, patience and acceleration are a beauty, and his ability to finish runs and to exhaust a defense would make our offense truly dangerous and soooo fun to watch.

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Braden Smith
Welp, it's not a mock draft if there's not an OL right? But Smith is a really good one. He has a guard strenght in a OT body. His arms look a little short which is why I'd take him as a G but he can also switch at RT if needed. I discovered him when he made Christian Wilkins look like Kapron Lewis-Moore this year. He was absolutely dominant whether in the run game or in pass protection. Versatility, power, smartness, this guy is the real deal.

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Duke Ejiofor
Hey, you can never have too many pass rushers right? Ejiofor can play OLB or DE in our system and be a force against both the run and the pass. He's pretty stiff but he has power, refined hand usage and closing speed to be an important piece of our defense. Most importantly, he's an excellent run defender as he can either set the edge or penetrate in the backfield to take down the RB. He's the kind of player that would give a big boost to our OLB group.

I'll stop here, I don't know this class enough to look further or try to predict who'll be there in the 5th. Hope you enjoyed it! Ok I did it in 15 min, nice!

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
You like Cain over miller?
No disrespect to Miller but yeah everyday of the week. Tbh I've yet to catch up on the Miller hype train.

i have to say in terms of individual players i like these guys but i have to be nervous about not taking an ol in the first 2 rounds
This mock is based on two asumptions: 1)Nelson is already picked when we're on the clock. 2) Ozzie won't get hasty and draft an OL for the sake of it. I could have gone with McGlinchey though, but in the end Cain won me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
No disrespect to Miller but yeah everyday of the week. Tbh I've yet to catch up on the Miller hype train.

This mock is based on two asumptions: 1)Nelson is already picked when we're on the clock. 2) Ozzie won't get hasty and draft an OL for the sake of it. I could have gone with McGlinchey though, but in the end Cain won me.
Miller is special man, Cain is gifted, but miller has much more of the personality you desperately want from a wr. He's got that Derrick mason type of fire and commitment, he wants everything he can get on every play and he is a master at his craft. He plays with great refinement and savvy when needed but also plays with a good kind of reckless abandon when needed. He really leaves it all on the field.

Cain vs miller checklist, I'd say
Routes: miller
Speed: Cain
Burst: even
Size: Cain
Hands: miller
Aggression: miller
Body control/ball attacking: miller
YAC: slight edge to miller because his awareness is stellar

I honestly think miller is far and away the best wr prospect this year, and when putting in work with a pro staff I think he pulls away from the pack even more because he is such a fierce competitor and he will improve tenfold on work ethic alone

Also wanna throw in that I was touting deon Cain for a while preseason/early season and miller bypassed him by a mile for me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nick Chubb in mawk. I approve
I was scrolling down just to see if you would comment!

Good job on the mock, but I’d prefer an OL such as Nelson in the first round. We need a stout interior ams having him next to Jensen and Yanda would be amazing. He’s also end up being Yandas replacement.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Miller is special man, Cain is gifted, but miller has much more of the personality you desperately want from a wr. He's got that Derrick mason type of fire and commitment, he wants everything he can get on every play and he is a master at his craft. He plays with great refinement and savvy when needed but also plays with a good kind of reckless abandon when needed. He really leaves it all on the field.

Cain vs miller checklist, I'd say
Routes: miller
Speed: Cain
Burst: even
Size: Cain
Hands: miller
Aggression: miller
Body control/ball attacking: miller
YAC: slight edge to miller because his awareness is stellar

I honestly think miller is far and away the best wr prospect this year, and when putting in work with a pro staff I think he pulls away from the pack even more because he is such a fierce competitor and he will improve tenfold on work ethic alone

Also wanna throw in that I was touting deon Cain for a while preseason/early season and miller bypassed him by a mile for me.

Where do you see miller falling to?
1st round? Or 2nd to 3rd?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Where do you see miller falling to?
1st round? Or 2nd to 3rd?
That's really hard to call. I'm gonna say early/mid second right now, but say he has one or 2 trademark moments this season to really put a stamp on his name, along with a strong combine, then he could absolutely end up in the mid first. He's playing as well as any wr in the nation right now and plays a pro style game, he should be seen as a legit pro wr, but the small school and average measurable could hurt him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
That's really hard to call. I'm gonna say early/mid second right now, but say he has one or 2 trademark moments this season to really put a stamp on his name, along with a strong combine, then he could absolutely end up in the mid first. He's playing as well as any wr in the nation right now and plays a pro style game, he should be seen as a legit pro wr, but the small school and average measurable could hurt him.
Yeah the measurable and level of competition matter, but sometimes you have to ask yourself if he is a football player or not. Playing in a pro style offense and running good routes will help tremendously.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I don't think Miller's route running is better than Cain's. He does flashes great COD skills but from the UCLA game I watched, he's getting a ton of scheme open touches or simple go routes.
He is feisty alright but I think you're underestimating Cain's body control and agressiveness. When Cain run a route he gets into the CB face and keeps on pushing until the CB is forced to turn around and then he makes his cut. This was evident on a play against Adonis Alexander of VT who is one of the calmest CB I've seen, yet Cain completely pushed him out of his confort zone and took advantage of it. That's what I call being agressive.

In regards to Miller, like I said I only saw one game but he just looks like a small, quick, «plays big» receiver and I don't see what makes him better than Pettis, Burnett or even the kid from MTSU

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah the measurable and level of competition matter, but sometimes you have to ask yourself if he is a football player or not. Playing in a pro style offense and running good routes will help tremendously.
Well if the question is "is he a football player?" Then hell yes lol. He's as much of a real deal baller as anyone in this class when you're talking about having a natural knack for making plays and loving the game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't think Miller's route running is better than Cain's. He does flashes great COD skills but from the UCLA game I watched, he's getting a ton of scheme open touches or simple go routes.
He is feisty alright but I think you're underestimating Cain's body control and agressiveness. When Cain run a route he gets into the CB face and keeps on pushing until the CB is forced to turn around and then he makes his cut. This was evident on a play against Adonis Alexander of VT who is one of the calmest CB I've seen, yet Cain completely pushed him out of his confort zone and took advantage of it. That's what I call being agressive.

In regards to Miller, like I said I only saw one game but he just looks like a small, quick, «plays big» receiver and I don't see what makes him better than Pettis, Burnett or even the kid from MTSU
I haven't watched Cain in a while so maybe I need a refresher, but I still like Cain, just from what I remember compared to what I've seen recently from miller I'm going with miller. I'll look some more at Cain when I get a chance

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i just like watching miller - he's fun to watch and i always appreciate that in a prospect - its why i fell in love with tim williams and ryan anderson and corey davis and malik mcdowell in the pre-draft process and some others like ahkello witherspoon too
I remember the second day of the draft I wanted Timmy Williams or Carl Lawson bad and I mean really bad. When we ended up landing TWill in the 3rd I was ecstatic and add Bowser who I really liked as well and it made my day, now the question I pose for you, is if Carl Lawson is available at our fourth round pick, do we take him. I certainly wouldn’t have been upset.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I haven't watched Cain in a while so maybe I need a refresher, but I still like Cain, just from what I remember compared to what I've seen recently from miller I'm going with miller. I'll look some more at Cain when I get a chance
I mean, whatever your judgement is on Cain, you have to love his game. There's really something great about it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I remember the second day of the draft I wanted Timmy Williams or Carl Lawson bad and I mean really bad. When we ended up landing TWill in the 3rd I was ecstatic and add Bowser who I really liked as well and it made my day, now the question I pose for you, is if Carl Lawson is available at our fourth round pick, do we take him. I certainly wouldn’t have been upset.

yes... i had him pegged to us despite bowser and timmy just on pure BPA (by a huge margin) if he had made it to us...

Just my opinion but I think we pick a pass rusher earlier. I know it will drive people crazy but I think we're going to take an edge player who can rush the passer and set the edge because at the moment we don't have that.

I legit think we pick a WR in round 1 or 2. It's going to be the biggest hole on this team IMO. We need a playmaker and lack them. I don't think we rush for an OL because WR could be a big problem for us and I don't think we sign anyone big like maybe Larry Fitzgerald who would change every thing for this offense but I do think we'll make a move for someone since Ozzie always seems to find a guy for us. I think Cain is our guy because he has a high ceiling and a high floor. I think he'll contribute immediately and could potentially do great things down the road, I really like that pick and I imagine that he'll be available maybe in the 2nd round.

Round 3 I think is where we pick an RB. Round 1 I honestly think goes to pass rusher.

Just my opinion but I like this mock a lot, good job.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just my opinion but I think we pick a pass rusher earlier. I know it will drive people crazy but I think we're going to take an edge player who can rush the passer and set the edge because at the moment we don't have that.

I legit think we pick a WR in round 1 or 2. It's going to be the biggest hole on this team IMO. We need a playmaker and lack them. I don't think we rush for an OL because WR could be a big problem for us and I don't think we sign anyone big like maybe Larry Fitzgerald who would change every thing for this offense but I do think we'll make a move for someone since Ozzie always seems to find a guy for us. I think Cain is our guy because he has a high ceiling and a high floor. I think he'll contribute immediately and could potentially do great things down the road, I really like that pick and I imagine that he'll be available maybe in the 2nd round.

Round 3 I think is where we pick an RB. Round 1 I honestly think goes to pass rusher.

Just my opinion but I like this mock a lot, good job.
Another wr we could look at in free agency would be Allen Robinson. Coming off of injury, there could be a deal to be had and he’s still young.