• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

First Jacquouille Mock for 2018

Another wr we could look at in free agency would be Allen Robinson. Coming off of injury, there could be a deal to be had and he’s still young.
I would imagine it being a 1 YR deal and I still think we'll draft a receiver early if we were to sign him.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would imagine it being a 1 YR deal and I still think we'll draft a receiver early if we were to sign him.

If I was a FA WR taking a 1 year prove it deal, Baltimore wouldn't be it. We're not a high powered passing offense that would increase a WR value. Sadly

If I was a FA WR taking a 1 year prove it deal, Baltimore wouldn't be it. We're not a high powered passing offense that would increase a WR value. Sadly
I'm not sure if I agree there, look at what we did with Mike Wallace, I mean yeah we don't have a high powered offense but we can certainly maximize people potential here. Just how great has Torrey looked since leaving us? We also did very well with Steve Smith Sr. when people considered him finished.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm not sure if I agree there, look at what we did with Mike Wallace, I mean yeah we don't have a high powered offense but we can certainly maximize people potential here. Just how great has Torrey looked since leaving us? We also did very well with Steve Smith Sr. when people considered him finished.

yeah the death of these guys will be in year 2 of a contract so as long as they stick to a 1 year prove it deal baltimore is the best place for them to remake their careers - just dont stay too long or you'll disappear/get injured

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Okay, new one today. After a loss to Vikings in which we showed horrible run D, a QB that will lose his balance anytime he's given the occasion and an OL that will give him a ton of opportunity to do so, my disappointment is at an all time high, like everyone probably. In these conditions, only one thing can heal broken hearts: let's fix an entire franchise in one mock. Prediction top 10 pick.

1st round: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

I'm not going to give a long explanation about this guy. The first thing you notice when you watch him is that he just makes everyone around him better. He transcends the OLine he's in by making everyone's job easier. He would give us the best interior in the league coupled with an up and coming LT and Grag Roman's schemes. The run game as well as the pass protection would be boosted by a huge margin and the whole offense would be kicking with all cylinders. All in one pick. It's becoming boring but it just makes so much sense.

2nd round: Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Based on my last comments and discussions, it might look like I want to be this forum's Baker supporter and want him to be my guy. That's not true. I have some concerns with him and my very relative knowledge of the QB position prevents me from falling in love with any QB prospect. What I can say, however, is that I'm tired of hearing that all our QB can do is throw of play action. If that's all our QB can do, he's a bad one. So what I do when I study a QB is I ask myself "What do I want to not see anymore from my QB?". Here's what popped in my mind:
*Being able, through mobility, pocket awareness and poise, to keep composure under pressure and keep plays alive as long as possible (= more than 3s)
*Being accurate at every level, showing touch and zip, and showing consistency in the quality of the throws.
*Having a rapport with the receivers.
*Being a leader and a winner.

I could have other criterias that would lead me to other QBs, but right now Baker Mayfield is the QB that makes me say "If only we had this guy". I don't care that he's small, it's actually good that he isn't a 6'5" tree trunk waiting to get sacked. I don't care that he doesn't have a cannon, I don't need 50 yards bomb to feel good about my offense. Our offense is inept and empty, and we need a warrior to push some life back into it. If all it takes is a second round, sign me up.

3rd round: Jaylen Samuels, WR/RB, NC State

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

After adding a straight up mauler and a dynamic QB, we add another boost to the offense with Jaylen Samuels, a guy who has WR athleticism in a RB body. I think this guy would fit extremely well with a QB like Mayfield and Greg Roman would have a ton of fun getting him designed touches. I love him as a slot receiver but he can also take carries, end around and shovel passes. He can really add a new dimension to the offense and make it less predictible. And even if used stricty as a receiver, he's got great speed and quickness to get separation.

4th round: Duke Ejiofor

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

I will stick with the same guy in round 4, as we obviously need help in the front seven. Ejiofor is strong and has active hands and great hussle. He can play anywhere on the line, inside or outside and hopefully be the edge setting presence we need opposite Sizzle.

5th round: Azeem Victor

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

To me, WLB is the biggest weakness on our defense and the biggest reason we've been routinely gashed. So it is imperative we fix that. "You idiot, why wait round five then?!" Well, because I could wait a round or two more and still get starting caliber material at LB. Since this is a 5 round mock, I'll jump on Azeem Victor. In an insanely crowded class (no seriously, it's the best I've ever seen my two miles) his ACL injury last year and suspension to open the season will push him back a little. I project him as a two down LB at the next level, but there's nothing wrong with this. We have two good 3rd down LB in Peanut and Levine, so getting a thumper who will put us in 3rd and longs is imperative. Victor is just that. He's meh in coverage and lacks the twitch, but he has range and play strength to bring physicality to our front seven. He hits hard, plays nasty and violent and it's what we need in the trenches.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
when talking about baker mayfield im coming around slightly on the fact that he's a career backup - im starting to see potential starting traits - i like that he's now going through progressions in the pocket when he hasnt in previous years although im not sure mayfield has the upside of russel wilson or anything like that it's not an awful comparison

however this is all tempered by his limitations and while im not sure colt mccoy 2.0 is a fair comparison i think daniel jeremiah made some good points in his first look analysis: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...irst-look-scouting-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield

that being said i dont think its a horrible idea to take him and while id normally balk at taking him in the 2nd round - one team will so if we want him that's where we'll likely have to take him

outside of the top 2 qbs in this class rosen and darnold - my idea of where qbs will go and in what order is starting to become more and more of a mess as some qbs elevate and others play poorly

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
when talking about baker mayfield im coming around slightly on the fact that he's a career backup - im starting to see potential starting traits - i like that he's now going through progressions in the pocket when he hasnt in previous years although im not sure mayfield has the upside of russel wilson or anything like that it's not an awful comparison

however this is all tempered by his limitations and while im not sure colt mccoy 2.0 is a fair comparison i think daniel jeremiah made some good points in his first look analysis: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...irst-look-scouting-oklahoma-qb-baker-mayfield

that being said i dont think its a horrible idea to take him and while id normally balk at taking him in the 2nd round - one team will so if we want him that's where we'll likely have to take him

outside of the top 2 qbs in this class rosen and darnold - my idea of where qbs will go and in what order is starting to become more and more of a mess as some qbs elevate and others play poorly
That's a very interesting opinion. I think we all agree Baker is not Russ and to me that's fine. That's fine if he ends up being a game manager. I hope people realize how bad Flacco is right now. He's fumbling on his own, he's falling on his two feets, he can't go through progression, he has no timing, no rapport with his receivers,... I could go on and on but here's the thing: CJ Beatherd is outplaying him. He was supposed to go UDFA. Even if Baker ends up a Tyrod Taylor-lite game manager/mid tier QB, I'm completely happy. I'll be happy because he offers more to our offense for all the reasons I mentionned and his legs, and with a defense keeping us in games he'll give us W. Simple as that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's a very interesting opinion. I think we all agree Baker is not Russ and to me that's fine. That's fine if he ends up being a game manager. I hope people realize how bad Flacco is right now. He's fumbling on his own, he's falling on his two feets, he can't go through progression, he has no timing, no rapport with his receivers,... I could go on and on but here's the thing: CJ Beatherd is outplaying him. He was supposed to go UDFA. Even if Baker ends up a Tyrod Taylor-lite game manager/mid tier QB, I'm completely happy. I'll be happy because he offers more to our offense for all the reasons I mentionned and his legs, and with a defense keeping us in games he'll give us W. Simple as that.

that's a kneejerk reaction though - he may be better than flacco is right now but that doesnt make him the right pick - id probably prefer one of the other qbs who may make it to our 2nd round pick over mayfield - baker is definitely a guy id pick but id want him in the 3rd at the earliest and tbh probably not til the 4th

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
that's a kneejerk reaction though - he may be better than flacco is right now but that doesnt make him the right pick - id probably prefer one of the other qbs who may make it to our 2nd round pick over mayfield - baker is definitely a guy id pick but id want him in the 3rd at the earliest and tbh probably not til the 4th
Well like I said, of all the things I want corrected, he brings the most to the table. Rudolph could be nice on Day 2 but apart from that no one really sticks out as a potential starter outside the Big 3.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well like I said, of all the things I want corrected, he brings the most to the table. Rudolph could be nice on Day 2 but apart from that no one really sticks out as a potential starter outside the Big 3.

as much as flacco has sucked his contract means we dont need to find instant coffee at qb we just need to find a guy we like and develop them behind an established starter (maybe only for 1 year, but likely 2 at least) - partly this is important because ryan mallet doesnt really cut it as the backup - we should be looking to upgrade both qb positions tbh - starter and backup

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I definitely don't want a game manager as my 2nd round pick. Especially a high 2nd round pick.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Same attitude. Walks around like hes hot shit. Typical frat boy personality. His mind will never leave college shows by his actions.
Dude, most QBs have a frat boy hot shit personality. You kind of need an ego to play the position. Not a valid criticism. Manziel's probalem was that he was an alcoholic who made too many Madden "wow" plays that would never work in the NFL. Mayfield looks like he's gonna be a good backup

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Dude, most QBs have a frat boy hot shit personality. You kind of need an ego to play the position. Not a valid criticism. Manziel's probalem was that he was an alcoholic who made too many Madden "wow" plays that would never work in the NFL. Mayfield looks like he's gonna be a good backup
Lol Mayfeild is an alcoholic that makes too many Madden "wow" plays. Have you not heard his bar incident? And have you not seen him play. Hes at his best when plays break down and he has to make something out of nothing. With his stature, that wont work in the nfl

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Lol Mayfeild is an alcoholic that makes too many Madden "wow" plays. Have you not heard his bar incident? And have you not seen him play. Hes at his best when plays break down and he has to make something out of nothing. With his stature, that wont work in the nfl
They're not the same kind of madden wow plays, and Mayfield isn't horrible in the pocket and is a lot better than Manziel could ever hope to be trait wise. He's got all the makings of a backup. I don't agree with the Colt McCoy comparison but he's better than Manziel who was an obvious bust coming from a mile away.

And yes I've seen him play plenty. He does some things Manziel did but has overall better pocket presence and can make some money throws. He's a better passer without the publicity because NFL teams have learned their lesson. Oh and btw, unlike Manziel he tends to be a little more pass first. His problems? Well sometimes his plays are madden "wow" plays and some of the plays won't work. His arm isn't as strong as Manziel's was either. But to sit there and say he's a clone is just a unideal/misleading comparison. He's a similar kind of athlete but is a lot better of a passer. He's the most efficient passer in NCAA history. He doesn't have the big arm that Manziel did, but it's big enough to be a pro. Good athlete, acccurate, and for the most part a pretty conservative decision maker. He's money for the most part, and while he has a cocky attitude, that's not abnormal for a QB. That just reams backup at the NFL level. That wasn't similar to Manziel at all. Manziel, was more dynamic, more impulsive on the field, and had megastud Mike Evans to bail him out of tough situations far more than anyone has ever bailed out Mayfield. He was also far less disciplined on the field and was too quick to look to make a play himself rather than let it develop. That was in addition to the madden "wow" plays. Mayfield, is far more paitent, has better pocket presence, is more accurate in the short yardage situations, doesn't throw off his back foot nearly as often as Johnny did, and generally makes smart decisions. Sorry, not the same guy. They have similarities but nothing close on the field other than sheer athletic ability.

And yes, I'm well aware of the drunk charge but this seems a lot different than Manziel, as he will be forced to complete an alcohol education class as well as community service. And given that the NFL will crack down on his drug bullshit, I highly doubt it'll be nearly as big of a problem. Especially since he's not going to be drafted to be a starter from day one. He won't get nearly as scrutinized or near the same level.

I had a fifth round grade on Manziel. I turned out to be right there. I think Mayfield is a better prospect and I have a low 3rd to high fourth round grade, but since he's a quarterback he's likely to be overdrafted. Which is understandable. But I think he's gonna be a good backup at the NFL level. He's not Johnny Football, and he's not a shit prospect