• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

First Jacquouille Mock for 2018

I like Nelson but I after thinking about it I would be disappointed if we took him that high. I really want a difference maker here, I want someone who is going to seriously change our entire offense or defense. I just don't think Nelson is that transcendent, I think his impact on the OL will surely be felt, but a WR or Edge would be a bigger impact IMO.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Just because he isn’t a skill player doesn’t mean he isn’t a transcendent player. Your obviously seeing now how much I’d a difference Yanda makes for our offensive line and our entire offense. Having a top rated offense would be huge @TheCity5

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Lol Mayfeild is an alcoholic that makes too many Madden "wow" plays. Have you not heard his bar incident? And have you not seen him play. Hes at his best when plays break down and he has to make something out of nothing. With his stature, that wont work in the nfl
Mayfield is a much better pocket passer and it's not even a question. How many plays did he run out of the pocket against Ohio State? There were plays where he stood where a lot of QBs would have tuck it and run.
But hey, there was a video in a bar... Definite sign he's going to be an alcoholic bust.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

1st round: Rashaan Evans, LB, Bama
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Welp, didn't take long to catch up on the hype train. He's an animal. He hits the wrong gaps at times but apart from that? His range, closing speed, agression and motor are superb. He can directly become our starting WLB and kick outside on obvious passing downs like he does at Bama. He's elite at both. We have a top5 secondary, you add this guy to our front seven and oh god this will be a heck of a defense instantly. It's also said his character is off the charts good.

2nd round: Billy Price, OG, Ohio State
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

It's not just Nelson in this class. Price is an excellent prospect. He's strong, could stop a whale with his punch, and a great locker room guy as an added bonus. Yanda, Jensen, Price? Good fucking luck against that. This has the makeup of a dominant interior which would propel our offense to reach maximum potential.

3rd round: Marcel Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

This is my guy. He's exactly what I've been asking for the last 3 years now. He's a physical and tall receiver that wins at the catch point and has an uncanny ability to high point the ball. Joe would love to have a WR that can win some balls for him. He doesn't have that right now and that has led to turnovers. Ateman would bring instant competitiveness and would fit right in in our group.

4th round: Durham Smythe, TE, Notre Dame
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

It was Jeff Zrebiec who first talked about the need to have a speed TE to stretch the field and catch passes over the middle. It kinda stayed in the back of my head since and it directly lead me to Smythe, who has really impressed me this season. I watch a good bunch of ND tape and he jumps out a lot as a QB's best friend. When focusing on him I also noticed a good to very good blocker. He's pretty much flying under the radar but I think he should get serious consideration from us.

5th round: Mike Weber, RB, OSU
b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Might as well take the guy Price blocked for. Weber is in the contention for most underrated player in this class. Due to the emergence of Dobbins, some injuries to begin the season and a very deep class, he'll be drafted way later than he deserves to be. The thing that jumps off with Weber is how complete he is a RB. He's a great receiver and a great blocker. And as a runner? He is patient, follows his blocks well, has great vision and acceleration, nice breakaway speed, and most of all he's strong. Really strong. Tacklers have a hell of a hard time bringing him down and he always picks up extra yards and fights on every snap for every inch. He's really opened my eyes this year and his skillset is pro ready. He could come in and be the Day One starter, and a 3 down back at that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I haven’t watched tape on price, but I have seen some games and what I’ve seen looks good. I won’t know for sure until I watch some tape, which I’ll get to in the offseason. If we are taking a guard in the 2nd round, I’d rather take a wr in the first, if one is available.

Where do you have us picking?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I haven’t watched tape on price, but I have seen some games and what I’ve seen looks good. I won’t know for sure until I watch some tape, which I’ll get to in the offseason. If we are taking a guard in the 2nd round, I’d rather take a wr in the first, if one is available.

Where do you have us picking?
Between 12 and 15 for now.

We take a LB first round and I give up on the ravens lol
Last time you said something like that was when I mocked Zeke to us, and the time before that was for Mosley. Honestly Evans is awesome.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Between 12 and 15 for now.

Last time you said something like that was when I mocked Zeke to us, and the time before that was for Mosley. Honestly Evans is awesome.
I always knew Mosley was gonna likely be the best player available(unless Beckham was there) but we had just invested heavily in ILB, some had the foresight that art brown was a bust lol. And I changed my tune on zeke big time, I was all for taking him at 6 come draft time.

However, our offense wasn't in the dire straits it's in now. This is the worst our offense has ever been in the harbaugh era and it's due to more than injuries this time. Maclin and Wallace won't be here long and after that we have nothing, maxx is fading into obscurity, yanda could retire any year, we have James hurst and Alex Lewis as our top 2 LGs, and joe is regressing big time. We simply can't afford to go bpa anymore after ignoring our offense so badly. I'd rather have a solid receiver or TE or an elite guard than an elite defender at any position at this point, and I've always been a BPA guy, there just comes a point where enough is enough and you need to focus on offense lol

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Jacquouille im not sure Marcel Ateman lasts till round 3. His stock has been rising like crazy. I think hes underratedly fast and elusive. He doesnt have clunky movements, and has exceptional body control. Match that with his frame, vertical, and highpointing ability. Not to mention that hes not a 'clap' catcher (like perriman is). He just seems so natural and fluid in his movements that its tough to see him go 3rd round. I think hes climbing up to the first round

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I always knew Mosley was gonna likely be the best player available(unless Beckham was there) but we had just invested heavily in ILB, some had the foresight that art brown was a bust lol. And I changed my tune on zeke big time, I was all for taking him at 6 come draft time.

However, our offense wasn't in the dire straits it's in now. This is the worst our offense has ever been in the harbaugh era and it's due to more than injuries this time. Maclin and Wallace won't be here long and after that we have nothing, maxx is fading into obscurity, yanda could retire any year, we have James hurst and Alex Lewis as our top 2 LGs, and joe is regressing big time. We simply can't afford to go bpa anymore after ignoring our offense so badly. I'd rather have a solid receiver or TE or an elite guard than an elite defender at any position at this point, and I've always been a BPA guy, there just comes a point where enough is enough and you need to focus on offense lol

yeah id be disappointed if we went linebacker round 1 - i mean id understand but id be disappointed

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
@Jacquouille im not sure Marcel Ateman lasts till round 3. His stock has been rising like crazy. I think hes underratedly fast and elusive. He doesnt have clunky movements, and has exceptional body control. Match that with his frame, vertical, and highpointing ability. Not to mention that hes not a 'clap' catcher (like perriman is). He just seems so natural and fluid in his movements that its tough to see him go 3rd round. I think hes climbing up to the first round
That's a very legitimate concern. Kinda cheated a little bit on that one probably aha

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
yeah id be disappointed if we went linebacker round 1 - i mean id understand but id be disappointed
Enough is enough man. I've been thinking that we're on a 2 year plan, but that means jack shit when you draft defense 4 straight to start the 2017 draft and then draft a fucking linebacker first round 2018 lol.

Not to mention(and I haven't watched any of this guy yet) that jacq's report on him sounds strikingly similar to bowser(and to an extent, Judon) then like... why? Like I'm a huge Bradley Chubb fan, but I wouldn't want him either, just because we so desperately need to address the offense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Enough is enough man. I've been thinking that we're on a 2 year plan, but that means jack shit when you draft defense 4 straight to start the 2017 draft and then draft a fucking linebacker first round 2018 lol.

Not to mention(and I haven't watched any of this guy yet) that jacq's report on him sounds strikingly similar to bowser(and to an extent, Judon) then like... why? Like I'm a huge Bradley Chubb fan, but I wouldn't want him either, just because we so desperately need to address the offense.
Yeah, BOPA, unless Fitzpatrick is available. (BOPAUFA)

Last edited:

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

It's not like our defense is anything special right now. It could be but it's not perfect enough that we're going to completely focus on the offense next offseason. When I see Evans I see the guy who comes in and fixes all of our issues, and bring an agressive style that we just don't have. One defensive pick, 4 on the offense (could actually be 5 if I took into account the 3rd round comp, which I would have spend on a QB) is fine to me. Make no mistakes, this draft is weak. In a weak draft, if you select based on needs you're screwed. We've been once. Needs can be fixed in FA or in the second and third day. First round you take a guy who's going to bring an instant impact and be a cornerstone of your franchise. That's my mindset and it's always been. The best picks are picks that didn't necessarily answer a need but brought an A++ player to a team.

And no, Evans is not Bowser or Judon. He's got a world of instincts and IQ that both don't have (yes he tends to miss on some reads, but he also makes excellent ones and blows up plays by himself).

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
It's not like our defense is anything special right now. It could be but it's not perfect enough that we're going to completely focus on the offense next offseason. When I see Evans I see the guy who comes in and fixes all of our issues, and bring an agressive style that we just don't have. One defensive pick, 4 on the offense (could actually be 5 if I took into account the 3rd round comp, which I would have spend on a QB) is fine to me. Make no mistakes, this draft is weak. In a weak draft, if you select based on needs you're screwed. We've been once. Needs can be fixed in FA or in the second and third day. First round you take a guy who's going to bring an instant impact and be a cornerstone of your franchise. That's my mindset and it's always been. The best picks are picks that didn't necessarily answer a need but brought an A++ player to a team.

And no, Evans is not Bowser or Judon. He's got a world of instincts and IQ that both don't have (yes he tends to miss on some reads, but he also makes excellent ones and blows up plays by himself).
You all know how I feel about Bama players and I reckon Evans is elite talent but taking him with our first would be terrible decision.
Beside the fact that he wouldn't be exactly the right fit for our D, I think he is OLB in a 4-man front, missing on the best available offensive playmaker with our most likely high draft pick would drive me absolutely mental.
The only defensive player in this draft we should consider in the first round is Fitzpatrick. No other player is very good at his base job(s) AND can run defense on the field. I don't see us with a top 5 pick though and that's where Minkah will go.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I’m not sure about a two year plan. This started back in 2016.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
You all know how I feel about Bama players and I reckon Evans is elite talent but taking him with our first would be terrible decision.
Beside the fact that he wouldn't be exactly the right fit for our D, I think he is OLB in a 4-man front, missing on the best available offensive playmaker with our most likely high draft pick would drive me absolutely mental.
The only defensive player in this draft we should consider in the first round is Fitzpatrick. No other player is very good at his base job(s) AND can run defense on the field. I don't see us with a top 5 pick though and that's where Minkah will go.
The only elite offensive talents we have a shot at are Guice and Nelson (not even sure about Nelson). If we're picking top 15 there's a good chance our pick is a defensive player. Get ready for it because Ozzie won't think like you guys.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure about a two year plan. This started back in 2016.
I think after getting so many young foundational guys in 2016 and then missing the playoffs due to poor secondary depth and pass rush, we decided to stack our defense and hope we can stack the offense the following year. I can't explain any other reasoning for going 4 straight defenders in the 2017 draft