• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just came here to ask about this because I scrolled past something on fb about it.

surgeries in high school... how much does that really matter at this point? Is this a Todd gurley type of deal where he’s got degenerative issues ?

Edit: supposedly he had a lower leg injury similar to dak Prescott’s and a torn ACL in high school, and a stress fracture in his foot in college. all 3 requiring surgeries.

if it's about the medical in indy - it's more likely something structural or lingering damage has shown up on scans or whatever rather than there being actual renewed interest in old injuries just because they happened...

each team's medical staffs were able to have a look for themselves though so it's certainly possible that some teams are trying to get him to drop by feeding DJ the info...

Simba

Staff Member
I guess when talking about all these other receivers over and over again, Bateman was sort of slipping out of my mind's eye a bit

Just went back over some of his tape again, and ive fallen in love all over again lol

Not totally in play style (although I do see a lot of similarities), but he reminds me a lot of Justin Jefferson last year. Almost as solid of a player as it gets but because he doesn't have that one standout trait, he kind of gets overlooked in the scouting process.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I guess when talking about all these other receivers over and over again, Bateman was sort of slipping out of my mind's eye a bit

Just went back over some of his tape again, and ive fallen in love all over again lol
Funny, I was just coming back here to say the same thing about an entirely different player, I fell asleep on ihmir smith-marsette and I just went back and watched him again and man, ima be honest with you, I don’t see a big gap between him and dyami brown, both are dynamic vertical route runners with stellar ball tracking down the field, and both can put on some moves and burners to pick up chunks on YAC, but both are limited catchers. I think where they stand apart is just marsette looks more explosive and jukey on tape, brown using his size better and being tougher and longer in general, and the differences aren’t that great in those regards either.

I’d really like to see us take a swing there, he could be a great value in round 4/5, I think we would challenge a second deep safety with ease if we pair him and Hollywood with andrews, that’s a lot of conflict for those dbs if Lamar is protected and teams know we’re coming at them with both big runs and play action

Simba

Staff Member
Tony Pauline reporting that the Ravens love Marlon Williams out of UCF on day 3. I’ve done nothing on him. Anyone have any thoughts?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tony Pauline reporting that the Ravens love Marlon Williams out of UCF on day 3. I’ve done nothing on him. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thickly built (6'0", 222) wr that has really strong hands and a really fiery personality on the field. Not an elite athlete or anything, but can be very reliable. Jarvis Landry would be a good nfl comparison.

He has the potential to be a real hidden gem. He kinda reminds me of Gus Edwards in how he runs after the catch.

Last edited:

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thickly built (6'0", 222) wr that has really strong hands and a really fiery personality on the field. Not an elite athlete or anything, but can be very reliable. Jarvis Landry would be a good nfl comparison.

He has the potential to be a real hidden gem. He kinda reminds me of Gus Edwards in how he runs after the catch.

Dude plays like Boldin! Tough kid.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Stiff but physical - big slot type - limited route tree and very limited athlete but effective after the catch

I think he’s a udfa but if they spent the 210th on him I wouldn’t be mad
I see his limitations, but I also see a dog and a tone setter for our pass game, when you’re making late day 3 picks you aren’t looking for perfect prospects, just guys who have something to work with, I feel like he’s got something to work with.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He’s a day 3 guy, probably round 6 or later, he’s got really fun tape because he’s like Brandon Jacobs playing WR, absolute bull this guy, and the obvious trade off there is stiffness and lack of explosion, but as far as physicality goes not even jamarr chase is messing with him, he is an interesting late round wr who’s got a very obvious skill set and will likely always be limited to slants, posts, and go routes, offers big upside as a blocker on the boundary, should lay punishing blocks on LBs, corners, and safeties alike, consistently. Get him the ball on a slant with a 1v1 matchup and watch the secondary bounce off of his pads as he rumbles down the field.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I see his limitations, but I also see a dog and a tone setter for our pass game, when you’re making late day 3 picks you aren’t looking for perfect prospects, just guys who have something to work with, I feel like he’s got something to work with.

hes certainly got a toolkit with his frame... but I do think he’s a borderline not good enough athlete

I look at him similarly to how I looked at jauan Jennings in 2020

Simba

Staff Member
Good info. Thanks all. Definitely lacking on some of the late rounders this year. Sounds like an effort guy more than anything. Would prefer him as a UDFA based on the profiles here but no harm with our last pick I guess.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Good info. Thanks all. Definitely lacking on some of the late rounders this year. Sounds like an effort guy more than anything. Would prefer him as a UDFA based on the profiles here but no harm with our last pick I guess.

Trevon Grimes
Frank Darby
Dez Fitzpatrick
Josh Imatorbhebhe
Marquez Stevenson
Simi Fehoko (might sneak up earlier according to some)
Ihmir Smith-Marsette

all potentially day 3 guys with better athleticism than williams who you might want to have a look at (if you haven't already)

Racey McMath too if you want a guy who's going to earn his way onto a team via special teams and blocking but also has 4.3 speed to maybe develop (although i dont see it on film lol)

some other day 3 guys you might have watched already (who have a chance to go day 2)

Cade Johnson
Jonathan Adams Jr
Seth Williams
Jaelon Darden
Shi Smith

someone who ive not graded or watched enough to have a solid opinion on who probably goes day 3 and didn't hate the brief snippets ive seen of him:
Dax Milne

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Trevon Grimes
Frank Darby
Dez Fitzpatrick
Josh Imatorbhebhe
Marquez Stevenson
Ihmir Smith-Marsette

all potentially day 3 guys with better athleticism than williams who you might want to have a look at (if you haven't already)

Racey McMath too if you want a guy who's going to earn his way onto a team via special teams and blocking but also has 4.3 speed to maybe develop (although i dont see it on film lol)

some other day 3 guys you might have watched already (who have a chance to go day 2)

Cade Johnson
Jonathan Adams Jr
Seth Williams
Jaelon Darden
Shi Smith

someone who ive not graded or watched enough to have a solid opinion on who probably goes day 3 and didn't hate the brief snippets ive seen of him:
Dax Milne
I'd add in Austin Watkins and Dazz Newsome as day 3 gems that are worth looking at.

Simba

Staff Member
Trevon Grimes
Frank Darby
Dez Fitzpatrick
Josh Imatorbhebhe
Marquez Stevenson
Ihmir Smith-Marsette

Cade Johnson
Jonathan Adams Jr
Seth Williams
Jaelon Darden
Shi Smith

Dax Milne

Yep I've been able to check out about a good amount of these guys at least. Williams just wasn't one that I got to because he didn't have a draftable grade per most sites I've seen. Mostly cut ups than any substantial study, but I do like Darby, Imatorbhebhe, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, S. Williams, Darden, and Smith at varying levels. Fitzpatrick and Stevenson the only ones of these I've watched some and didn't really come away impressed. I know McMath as the stud STer but haven't done any WR work on him. The rest I haven't watched at all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yep I've been able to check out about a good amount of these guys at least. Williams just wasn't one that I got to because he didn't have a draftable grade per most sites I've seen. Mostly cut ups than any substantial study, but I do like Darby, Imatorbhebhe, Fehoko, Smith-Marsette, S. Williams, Darden, and Smith at varying levels. Fitzpatrick and Stevenson the only ones of these I've watched some and didn't really come away impressed. I know McMath as the stud STer but haven't done any WR work on him. The rest I haven't watched at all.

Cade Johnson was a small school prospect who was rinsing guys at the senior bowl so he could be fun
and jonathan adams jr is really fun - arrogant at the catchpoint