• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 WR Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
in terms of leverage smith can absolutely destroy a CB's leverage
not 100% sure about press yet because i havent seen much of anyone get hands on him yet - the closest i can find so far are a couple of clips from this thread vs stingley in the 2019 matchup but stingley doesnt get hands on (and doesnt try that much either)

- but im pretty sure there'll be tons of tape of it to find because i found this from PFF and it was apparently a very similar number last year too:

now i will say that from what ive seen so far he doesnt have that many varied releases (but again that's just from what ive seen so far which is obviously not a ton) but he's been lethal statistically from press

if a team thinks devonta smith can be up at 190 or 200 lbs in the NFL then he's for sure going top 10

i wouldnt worry about the 170lbs issue though because he doesnt play like it - he out-physicals guys, he beats press, he doesnt shy away from hits over the middle and attempting to break tackles etc.

and jefferson was one of the most pro-ready nfl WR prospects you can have - he and jeudy were the class of the WR class in that regard this year

great post, im gonna brush up on him, im always slow to watch new tape on guys i studied a lot the year prior lol

LSURavenFan

Veteran
With the Texans pick, Miami feels like the landing spot for Smith or Waddle. Dolphins need weapons and there's obviously the familiarity with Tua.

Chargers are another team that I can see going WR early. The Chiefs are the class of that division, you have to be able to keep pace. The Chargers have some pieces. One of Smith/Waddle/Chase to go along with Herbert, Ekeler, Williams, Allen could lead to some really fun AFC West shootouts.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I highly suggest you take a good look at Jonathan Adams from Arkansas State. He could end up being a second round pick and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
What your guy’s opinion on Rashod Bateman?

Seems like all the “draft experts” love him. Just saw Todd McShay’s big board and he ranked him #10 overall, behind Chase and Devonta.

Crafty route runner. Seems like I found my draft day WR crush for 2021.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Seems like all the “draft experts” love him. Just saw Todd McShay’s big board and he ranked him #10 overall, behind Chase and Devonta.

big big big fan. hes extremely well rounded. great size, length, alpha mentality, excellent hands, natural catcher with his body control and ball tracking and sense of positioning/leverage, plus athlete, sharp route runner, verticals, comes back to the ball, downhill runner and all around good YAC weapon.

i havent watched him deeply enough to see the nuance and the craft in his routes, but watching highlights and a few pass throughs on game tape, these things REALLY jump off the film. i think hes a great fit for what we need, terrace marshall is another guy who is really worth a good look.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

He's easy to love. He does pretty much everything well except for the speed part. Not that he's slow, just not running away from people. That's fine, a lot of receivers have produced in the league with average speed. He can create separation as long as you feature him with a variety of routes. Think if a slower but bigger McLaurin.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He's easy to love. He does pretty much everything well except for the speed part. Not that he's slow, just not running away from people. That's fine, a lot of receivers have produced in the league with average speed. He can create separation as long as you feature him with a variety of routes. Think if a slower but bigger McLaurin.
i was thinking davante adams watching him, or a bigger more physical justin jefferson, who i had also comped as a smaller quicker davante adams

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
There are so many WRs I like in this draft (even if a couple of them don't declare...
yeah this is a stupidly good class, im feeling like our time is coming for a splashy wr corps lol and its gonna round out with a 2021 rookie, were gonna pair a guy we see as a cliche true #1 with hollywood and duvernay and andrews and its gonna finally take off.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
i was thinking davante adams watching him, or a bigger more physical justin jefferson, who i had also comped as a smaller quicker davante adams
I thought Adams too when I watched him last year, but since Adams has been stupid good this year that comp was off the table.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
jaelon darden gives me serious Iverson vibes, that kid looks like he could be S P E C I A L as F U C K with his innate elusiveness reminiscent of a lamar jackson(seriously, his elusiveness is up there, its special and its just natural to him) and a steve smith sized chip on his shoulder, teammates seem to love him and hes just got a different kind of swag about him, again like a steve smith cocky in a good way kinda thing.

i know a lot of that is abstract shit that has no real bearing lol but you just pick up on things like that, and then i read that he plays pissed off because he was rejected from a lot of schools because of his size or something

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So i started properly going to the tape and actually analysing some of these guys properly and because he went down with the injury after only 4 games I forgot just how incredible Jaylen Waddle's explosion is - like i intuitively knew it was ridiculous but until i actually watched it again i forgot how unreal he is

and he knows how to use his athleticism so well - he attacks DBs to put them in conflict with the understanding that he's setting them up and he absolutely destroys people at all 3 levels of the defence

rossihunter2

Staff Member

just something to consider - speed is great but ultimately quickness, burst and route running are way more important especially when we're talking about man coverage

at least that's what i think

now if speed is a tool you use to create separation (by threatening corners over the top and getting them to turn or panic) then great