• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2021 WR Thread

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
literally announced while i was studying him - was pissed off that i had to scrub him off my list after having put in all that work lol

haha man that sucks.

I’ll be interested in your opinion on Amon-Ra St Brown whenever you get around to him.

living in SoCal, I remember him as a HS recruit. #1 WR. Plus the name is cool haha

rossihunter2

Staff Member
haha man that sucks.

I’ll be interested in your opinion on Amon-Ra St Brown whenever you get around to him.

living in SoCal, I remember him as a HS recruit. #1 WR. Plus the name is cool haha

literally just finished my first go-round on St Brown

here's my notes so far:

- 6’1 195lbs

- Quick feet at the LoS

- Varied releases – creates separation

- Has some really nice route running nuance – can help him get open at all levels of the defence – really quick getting in and out of his breaks – not the biggest route tree but he runs his routes well – feet are excellent but could maybe do more with his head and the stair step to really sell some of his underneath routes

- Can play inside or outside but has spent more time working out of the slot (probably going to be aligned all over the field in the NFL) – in some places has lined up in-line and also even in the backfield as a RB

- Great after the catch

- Great working through contact at the catch point and great hands – great in contested situations

- Some frustrating concentration drops

- Quick but not sure how fast he is but he gets vertical effectively and challenges DBs with the way he attacks their feet to get on top and rush them

- He’s feisty and super competitive – relishes getting physical with DBs – sometimes asked to line up in-line, sometimes used to motion across to get the kick-out block – can get too amped about dominating the guy across and not finish the whistle

not really properly ranking guys yet but my preliminary feelings are this feels like a 1st round grade - as of right now ive got through 11 receivers and he's most likely in the top 5

JO_75

Hall of Famer
literally announced while i was studying him - was pissed off that i had to scrub him off my list after having put in all that work lol

He was someone I was thinking if we really liked him and wanted the 5th year option, take him in the first but a guarantee trade back and take him in the early second type of guy.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was someone I was thinking if we really liked him and wanted the 5th year option, take him in the first but a guarantee trade back and take him in the early second type of guy.

he was definitely looking like an early day 2 possibly late day 1 (but probably not) type guy until he declared mid-study lol

i guess it makes sense - chance to turn himself into a bonafide 1st rounder in 2022 draft although no idea what ohio state's qb situation is in 2022

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 - just started watching nico collins but... c'mon man! why you making me watch shea patterson all over again??? dude made it impossible to watch DPJ last year and now you're telling me ive got to watch all that same horrible michigan tape all over again lol

gross haha
Lmfao I’m sorry man I know how you feel, he’s so fucking painful to watch

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
literally just finished my first go-round on St Brown

here's my notes so far:

- 6’1 195lbs

- Quick feet at the LoS

- Varied releases – creates separation

- Has some really nice route running nuance – can help him get open at all levels of the defence – really quick getting in and out of his breaks – not the biggest route tree but he runs his routes well – feet are excellent but could maybe do more with his head and the stair step to really sell some of his underneath routes

- Can play inside or outside but has spent more time working out of the slot (probably going to be aligned all over the field in the NFL) – in some places has lined up in-line and also even in the backfield as a RB

- Great after the catch

- Great working through contact at the catch point and great hands – great in contested situations

- Some frustrating concentration drops

- Quick but not sure how fast he is but he gets vertical effectively and challenges DBs with the way he attacks their feet to get on top and rush them

- He’s feisty and super competitive – relishes getting physical with DBs – sometimes asked to line up in-line, sometimes used to motion across to get the kick-out block – can get too amped about dominating the guy across and not finish the whistle

not really properly ranking guys yet but my preliminary feelings are this feels like a 1st round grade - as of right now ive got through 11 receivers and he's most likely in the top 5
Slam on. He looks like a stud, i am not seeing a ton of first round talk for him but I damn sure feel like I’m watching a first rounder

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Slam on. He looks like a stud, i am not seeing a ton of first round talk for him but I damn sure feel like I’m watching a first rounder

i think in terms of being talked about he's probably suffering from the same issues that Michael Pittman suffered from in terms of national recognition - because they're playing at USC they're often playing after everyone's turned off the tv

some were surprised that pittman went as high as he did because he was hardly talked about outside of the senior bowl

he also only got to play in 6 games in the 2020 season which obviously impacts that too

but right now he seems to me to be a 1st rounder - maybe an early 2nd round type guy - but we'll see how i feel about that when i get to other positions and start seeing how the board fills out (probably won't be for a while yet - ive only got through 12 WRs so far lol)

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

i see slot of Golden Tate comparisons with Amon-Ra. Honestly, I can see that.

He feels like one of those WRs that won’t be BPA where we usually pick in the 1st, but will be long gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes.

Us not having a 3rd round pick due to the Yannick trade, feels like it would be a good year to trade back from that 27th spot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i see slot of Golden Tate comparisons with Amon-Ra. Honestly, I can see that.

He feels like one of those WRs that won’t be BPA where we usually pick in the 1st, but will be long gone by the time our 2nd round pick comes.

Us not having a 3rd round pick due to the Yannick trade, feels like it would be a good year to trade back from that 27th spot.

so a bit like the run on receivers between our 1st and 2nd pick in 2020 too lol

every year feels like a good year to trade back if you're looking for receivers - 2nd round always seems to be the sweet spot for that position

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
so a bit like the run on receivers between our 1st and 2nd pick in 2020 too lol

every year feels like a good year to trade back if you're looking for receivers - 2nd round always seems to be the sweet spot for that position

yeah. Top of the 2nd is usually the sweet spot. Which is sad, cause that’ll never be us, unless for a trade back.

I remember watching the 2nd round of the 2020 draft and pulling my hair out. They all flew off the board right off the gate lol. Only one left was Mims by the time we picked.

I’ll be looking at the Queen over Higgins selection until we finally find a WR lol

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Amon-Ra: Not a fan.

Really surprised to read @rossihunter2 mention nuance in his routes. I don't see that. He plays with one speed and doesn't change pace throughout the route. His COD skills are good but once again there is nothing done in terms of selling the route or adaptating it depending on coverage, giving him a very robotic feel as a route runner. Haven't seen him being pressed and I'm not sure he would fare well against it. He's feasted on poor PAC 12 CBs giving him unneccessary cushion and taking poor angles to the ball.
The main thing that worries me is that he's very average in a lot of categories. He's decently sized, decently fast, decently quick. But really nothing that separates him. His long speed is borderline concerning, he's not a threat to burn any one at any point in a game.
He won't offer much in term of YAC because of his lack of burst/strength, making it hard for him to break any tackles.
He does have good hands, hand eye coordination and great concentration to plug the football in all situations. Really natural in that part of the game. Really looks like he loves the game and has great competitiveness.
All in all the best comparison I can come up with is a slightly less juicy Jarvis Landry. He will be a high volume slot receiver in an offense that can create space for him and make him a QB's best friend on 3rd and 5s. I could see a team finding value in that skillset in the second hald of the 2nd round, ultimately I think that's where he ends up.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Amon-Ra: Not a fan.

Really surprised to read @rossihunter2 mention nuance in his routes. I don't see that. He plays with one speed and doesn't change pace throughout the route. His COD skills are good but once again there is nothing done in terms of selling the route or adaptating it depending on coverage, giving him a very robotic feel as a route runner. Haven't seen him being pressed and I'm not sure he would fare well against it. He's feasted on poor PAC 12 CBs giving him unneccessary cushion and taking poor angles to the ball.
The main thing that worries me is that he's very average in a lot of categories. He's decently sized, decently fast, decently quick. But really nothing that separates him. His long speed is borderline concerning, he's not a threat to burn any one at any point in a game.
He won't offer much in term of YAC because of his lack of burst/strength, making it hard for him to break any tackles.
He does have good hands, hand eye coordination and great concentration to plug the football in all situations. Really natural in that part of the game. Really looks like he loves the game and has great competitiveness.
All in all the best comparison I can come up with is a slightly less juicy Jarvis Landry. He will be a high volume slot receiver in an offense that can create space for him and make him a QB's best friend on 3rd and 5s. I could see a team finding value in that skillset in the second hald of the 2nd round, ultimately I think that's where he ends up.

I think that's a good point about his route pacing - he's often 1 speed the whole way through his stem but i see some good pacing vs zone - relies on his speed and COD a lot to get himself open - i did specifically mention in my notes how i think he has more to do with his route running using head-fakes and stair stepping (selling vertical on non-vertical routes)

but the nuance i was talking about were things like how he angles his routes to create conflict in the corner (attacking the corner's feet and forcing him to show his back and using that to time his breaks), or the way he'll widen a corner on a post to give him room to the middle of the field, or how he's got a great jab step and uses it well to create space - i think there's room to improve as a route runner but i see nuance there already that's helping him win and some pretty simple things to improve that will make him even better

i completely disagree with you about YAC - he's got great short-area quickness - he can make some pretty twitchy and sharp cuts and can make people miss in a phone booth - as a runner with the ball he's good at setting up his blocks, keeping his eyes downfield and he plays super physical and rarely goes down on 1st contact - got a natural feel as a runner

i also think he looks pretty explosive to me - occasionally comes off the line slow (looks like he has a weird stance at the LoS) - and the long speed doesn't look like an issue to me at all - not elite athleticism but enough i think - consistently challenging guys over the top - yeah it's PAC-12 and safeties are gonna take poor angles but he looked fast

i do agree with you that he's probably going to be primarily a slot - and ive not seen him face much (if any) press which lends itself to the slot more too

i dont like comps generally but i saw someone say robert woods and i dont hate that comp for him

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
My personal favorite wr that we have some shot of getting is Terrace Marshall. Really big, strong guy that knows how to make the most of his size. Solid route runner that has enough speed to challenge deep. With the ball in his hands he becomes a giant rb that's really hard to bring down. Everything about him passes the eye test, and seems to translate to what an nfl wr should be.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not really feeling any of these mocked-to-late 1st round WRs. Bateman seems like a good one, but seems like his draft hype is only rising.

If the 2020 draft taught us anything, it’s that early 2nd round is the sweet spot. Sucks for us.

With that said, I’ve been trying to find names that could be there in the late 2nd.

Sage Surratt is a name we should keep an eye on. Prediction is late 2nd-Early 3rd. He opted out of the 2020 season, so maybe that hurts his stock a little bit.

He’s a big-bodied WR (6’3) X-type receiver.

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/12/02/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-sage-surratt/amp/

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m not really feeling any of these mocked-to-late 1st round WRs. Bateman seems like a good one, but seems like his draft hype is only rising.

If the 2020 draft taught us anything, it’s that early 2nd round is the sweet spot. Sucks for us.

With that said, I’ve been trying to find names that could be there in the late 2nd.

Sage Surratt is a name we should keep an eye on. Prediction is late 2nd-Early 3rd. He opted out of the 2020 season, so maybe that hurts his stock a little bit.

He’s a big-bodied WR (6’3) X-type receiver.

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/12/02/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-sage-surratt/amp/

not seen much of Surratt yet but what i have seen does not look good at all lol

absolutely love Bateman

finding it hard to differentiate all the small, quick slot guys in this class - feels like there's a never-ending supply of them

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
not seen much of Surratt yet but what i have seen does not look good at all lol

absolutely love Bateman

finding it hard to differentiate all the small, quick slot guys in this class - feels like there's a never-ending supply of them

Yeah, hard to find WRs within that range of late-2nd to fall in love with. They all fly off the board in this pass-happy league lol.

Sucks more that we don’t have a 3rd round pick. Seems like we’re going to have to reach a bit from the position we’re picking (whether it’ll be with our 1st or 2nd round).