• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @Minnesota

JAAM

Hall of Famer
This team isn’t making the playoffs, but let’s hooe they have more effort than they had today. I’m not a fan of losing on purpose, like many fans are to get that high pick. However I feel we will be in position to get a very good OFFENSIVE player in the 2018 draft, whether that be a qb, Nelson, wr or rb.
We will still go defense lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think that Moore should get a bigger look.
it's weird - he and perriman seem to have the same problem - the drops - there's a reason moore wasnt active for much of the season before today and it wasnt special teams because he's been a good special teamer for us in the past

there is a trend starting to develop though with the last few wideouts i can remember us drafting (outside of camp who is a completely different style) - perriman, moore, waller, torrey, tommy streeter - they're all size/speed type guys who showed no very little ability to find the soft spots in a zone, get open in the middle of the field, had very few tools for getting open quickly in small spaces

you'd think with the athleticism and physical size of those guys that we would be a team that was good at the corner fade, backshoulder fade, box out plays, slants - and yet we just arent - and we havent been for a while

so either 1 of 2 things is wrong (or both) - either engram is an awful wr coach or the scouting department literally has no idea how to scout wrs (which is what we've often joked about) - and i dont see how either is acceptable for this long a period to not make a change somewhere - im not saying ozzie im saying the way they scout wrs needs to change, the traits and things they emphasise when scouting them need to change, engram needs to be got rid of - ive been saying it for years

one thing i will criticise harbs for is his lack of a coaching tree - under billick and early under harbs we had some incredible assistant coaches who have gone on to success at higher jobs in the nfl or who have generally been thought of as good coaches - for the last few years all i think of when i think of coaching in baltimore is older guys coming here from being fired from elsewhere and uninspiring positional coaches who have been stagnant with units that have at times not been very good at all and engram is a perfect example and jim hostler before him...

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
it's weird - he and perriman seem to have the same problem - the drops - there's a reason moore wasnt active for much of the season before today and it wasnt special teams because he's been a good special teamer for us in the past

there is a trend starting to develop though with the last few wideouts i can remember us drafting (outside of camp who is a completely different style) - perriman, moore, waller, torrey, tommy streeter - they're all size/speed type guys who showed no very little ability to find the soft spots in a zone, get open in the middle of the field, had very few tools for getting open quickly in small spaces

you'd think with the athleticism and physical size of those guys that we would be a team that was good at the corner fade, backshoulder fade, box out plays, slants - and yet we just arent - and we havent been for a while

so either 1 of 2 things is wrong (or both) - either engram is an awful wr coach or the scouting department literally has no idea how to scout wrs (which is what we've often joked about) - and i dont see how either is acceptable for this long a period to not make a change somewhere - im not saying ozzie im saying the way they scout wrs needs to change, the traits and things they emphasise when scouting them need to change, engram needs to be got rid of - ive been saying it for years

one thing i will criticise harbs for is his lack of a coaching tree - under billick and early under harbs we had some incredible assistant coaches who have gone on to success at higher jobs in the nfl or who have generally been thought of as good coaches - for the last few years all i think of when i think of coaching in baltimore is older guys coming here from being fired from elsewhere and uninspiring positional coaches who have been stagnant with units that have at times not been very good at all and engram is a perfect example and jim hostler before him...
Kind of frustrating, isn't it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kind of frustrating, isn't it.

it is a bit - i always wondered where the grades on wrs came from - i had vastly different evaluations on certain wrs most years and i always just assumed i was wrong and i was missing something - but it is really starting to look like a problem whereby there is a huge disparity between what traits they look for and what traits make a successful nfl wr - which is weird because the pro-scouting team i.e. vince newsome and the gang seem to be great at scouting pro wrs to come in as free agents or even finding guys like kamar aiken to bring in off someone else's low end roster - how can one end of the scouting arm be so good at it and one end be so awful at it - it makes no sense

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ravens vs the Vikings huh? Well...

2-Friday-quotes.gif

jackweed

Practice Squad
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say more of the same. zimmer's defenses always confuse flacco. with flacco regressing, i feel more frustration for us next week.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
That's all you need to know to figure out how good Harbaugh really is. What exactly can we point at and say it was his great contribution? NFL has moved on and we're stuck with vanilla offense, stagnant defense, rookies developing too slow for the most part, team making same mistakes year in and year out but no worries, we'll attack this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind? Give me a fucking break. Great special teams? Even that is probably Rosburg's doing but doesn't win division if you can't score or defend.

And, btw - through all those coaching struggles, there was one constant - late Clarence Brooks, whose line was always the best unit on the team. Last season and this, not so much.

Last edited: