• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

DB Thread

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
As I thought, Derwin James is losing a lot of hype. Now if we're picking top15 and he's here with our major need at S and his crazy athleticism, do we take a chance?

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
As I thought, Derwin James is losing a lot of hype. Now if we're picking top15 and he's here with our major need at S and his crazy athleticism, do we take a chance?
Id really prefer not. Hes a great talent but im not sure his attitude fits well. Im not too keen on players from FSU or UF. I feel like they have no dicipline

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
James and Fitzpatrick will go top 10, I feel. If both are available when I pick, it's a million percent no-brainer.
Fitzpatrick is out of reach, James probably isn't. But the problem lies that he is more athlete than football player at this point.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Fitzpatrick is out of reach, James probably isn't. But the problem lies that he is more athlete than football player at this point.
Nah, you need to watch James more - he is really good. Really, really good. On all early boards I've seen, he was top 5, sometimes top 10 pick.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Nah, you need to watch James more - he is really good. Really, really good. On all early boards I've seen, he was top 5, sometimes top 10 pick.
I actually did and that's why I said people haven't been looking enough of him this season. I just saw his Syracuse game which was easily his best of the season and it's giving pause to this narrative, but I came away very unimpressed by his other games, like the Alabama game.

BTW, Matt Miller had him going 11 in his latest mock, and Connor Rogers 18. Maybe his latest game is a sign of what's to come, and in that case he'll go top5, but I wouldn't be so sure yet.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
sure hope calling gary is the 1st move made after the season
We need to call him prior to the end of the season, just to get a jump. Sure, he's not going to coach us this season, but he needs to know there is interest, if he doesn't already.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
So we'll probably take another CB. Who are the names you like? I'm interested in Adonis Alexander.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
What's the word on Anthony Averett? How is he ranked?
RIght now, day two. Really, really thin corner who doesn't have a whole lot of ball skills to show on tape. He's going to have to prove that his intelligence and ability to read plays can lead to actually being a play maker to make it far in the NFL.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
RIght now, day two. Really, really thin corner who doesn't have a whole lot of ball skills to show on tape. He's going to have to prove that his intelligence and ability to read plays can lead to actually being a play maker to make it far in the NFL.
If he was little younger, I wouldn't mind spending comp 3rd or 4th round on him.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
If he was little younger, I wouldn't mind spending comp 3rd or 4th round on him.
I mean, a 23 year old rookie puts him at 27 for his second contract. That's not killer at all.

I think as it stands, he'll probably sneak his way into the back end of the second or early third. He's highly intelligent and picks up on schemes incredibly quickly, so he'll be valuable for a team that needs a starter immediately. And a team may feel like they can teach up some aggressiveness and see ball, get ball mentality.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

im not sure i see day 2 from what ive seen on tape - i think he fits the bill of a classic 4th/5th rounder from what ive seen so far

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I mean, a 23 year old rookie puts him at 27 for his second contract. That's not killer at all.

I think as it stands, he'll probably sneak his way into the back end of the second or early third. He's highly intelligent and picks up on schemes incredibly quickly, so he'll be valuable for a team that needs a starter immediately. And a team may feel like they can teach up some aggressiveness and see ball, get ball mentality.

im not sure i see day 2 from what ive seen on tape - i think he fits the bill of a classic 4th/5th rounder from what ive seen so far

I have hard time evaluating him. There are those traits @29BmoreBird22 mentioned but I'm also fully aware that at least some of it comes from playing next to Fitzpatrick. And he's a tad on a lanky side for my liking but I suppose that's fixable in NFL training room