• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

TE Thread

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
We definitely need at least one. Badly.

Mark Andrews, Oklahoma is looking the part. I did not watch much of him and have no idea what kind of blocker he is nor do i care. This dude is like extremely big WR. Just looks like total nightmare to defend.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i agree with that - not sure that i want a high pick spent on a tight end though given their slow development - ill be impatient next season and its frustrating enough watching this offence - we definitely need some instant coffee

also its funny that more positional threads are opening up in this forum - it means the ravens are in trouble and people are suddenly more interested in the ravens of the future

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
i agree with that - not sure that i want a high pick spent on a tight end though given their slow development - ill be impatient next season and its frustrating enough watching this offence - we definitely need some instant coffee

also its funny that more positional threads are opening up in this forum - it means the ravens are in trouble and people are suddenly more interested in the ravens of the future
It's quite understandable, after comparing the product to some other franchises.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im really pissed Maxx Williams hasent panned out so far. I had high expectations for him when we drafted him. Such a disapointment

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Im really pissed Maxx Williams hasent panned out so far. I had high expectations for him when we drafted him. Such a disapointment

He and perriman were brought on board to be the guys that we now need to draft in 2018 - it was such a good supplementary draft at the time but they didn’t pan out which is frustrating because if either one of them had we’d be in a hugely better position

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
He and perriman were brought on board to be the guys that we now need to draft in 2018 - it was such a good supplementary draft at the time but they didn’t pan out which is frustrating because if either one of them had we’d be in a hugely better position
I cant even get myself to go back and look at their college tape again...these 2 guys are probably as disapointing as elam and brown were

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
From what I see there are no really good tight ends. That position I feel is super hard to scout, it is almost impossible to know who is going to be good at the next level. I think we should take a chance on a guy in the third or fourth. I guess it depends on how the board falls I guess.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
From what I see there are no really good tight ends. That position I feel is super hard to scout, it is almost impossible to know who is going to be good at the next level. I think we should take a chance on a guy in the third or fourth. I guess it depends on how the board falls I guess.
I see what you mean. TE is a complex position and it doesn't always translate as you would believe it does. However if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that Mark Andrews is a great receiving option.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I hereby claim Mark Andrews as mine...

But that said he's probably not the best TE in the class if Hayden Hurst decides to come out

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I see what you mean. TE is a complex position and it doesn't always translate as you would believe it does. However if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that Mark Andrews is a great receiving option.

outside of the truly elite receivers though its really hard for those athletic catching tight ends to come in and make a difference if they are no threat as run blockers - it makes disguising them harder and means that they get matched up with better coverage - unless you have a guy like travis kelce then the guy needs to be able to block, sell his routes and do all the things an in line tight end needs to do - which is why its hard to judge i think - its why nick boyle has been more effective for us than a pure receiving tight end

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I wholeheartedly disagree.
There are four really good TE prospects from what I've seen so far

1. Hayden Hurst. Fucker may be 25, but he's a good blocker, got good, natural hands, and is a very good athlete. He's the next Travis Kelce.
2. Mark Andrews(scouting report coming soon) is an underrated blocker, but has a game more inclined to a Jason Witten... If Witten had Tyler Eifert's athleticism. He's not going to body the defender every time, but he's going to find a way to get open and make the defense pay by exposing the soft spots in the defense(Witten literally made a hall of fame career out of this).
3. Troy Fumagali is not as athletic as the first two, but still is damn athletic. Once again, a good blocker who can make some insane contested catches. He doesn't have the upside that the first two do, but looks like he could be a damn good TE himself.
4. Mike Gesicki for my money has the best hands of any of the four.. And all of these guys have really good hands which is saying something. Probably the least athletic of the four in terms of explosiveness, but he's a former basketball player. So where he lacks in YAC ability, he more than makes up for with a vice grip and good blocking ability. Along with the ability to high point just about anything thrown his way.

Outside of those four I haven't done too much scouting. Except for Caleb Wilson out of UCLA.. Who's clearly more of a move TE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I hereby claim Mark Andrews as mine...

But that said he's probably not the best TE in the class if Hayden Hurst decides to come out
TE in most cases takes a while to adjust to the NFL. Although I believe we need a TE, I certainly don’t want to draft one in the first round.