• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

TE Thread

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I can see what your saying. But if thats the case than Gesicki is a bigger version of Pitta. With more potential.
Twelve pounds and two inches is not way bigger. It's slightly bigger. And I don't think Gesicki has more potentially because he's equally shitty as a blocker and like Pitta isn't all that strong. And Gesicki is a slender 250 pounds might I had. Gesicki may be able to jump higher, but Pitta was also faster.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Twelve pounds and two inches is not way bigger. It's slightly bigger. And I don't think Gesicki has more potentially because he's equally shitty as a blocker and like Pitta isn't all that strong. And Gesicki is a slender 250 pounds might I had. Gesicki may be able to jump higher, but Pitta was also faster.
Im saying Gesicki has more potential because he can easily add more muscle and that should make him a better blocker. He could easily add 15-20 pounds without hindering him athletically

And 2 inches with a better vertical makes a big difference in the NFL

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Im saying Gesicki has more potential because he can easily add more muscle and that should make him a better blocker. He could easily add 15-20 pounds without hindering him athletically

And 2 inches with a better vertical makes a big difference in the NFL
Gesicki's problems are more technical than anything and frankly.. He would've fixed it by now if he was going to. Getting stronger should help, but strength isn't his big issue. He sometimes will put a defender on his ass if he has to. Getting stronger would help, but honestly I don't think he improves his blocking. Which is fine: that's not why teams are going to draft him.

And not really. Height is overrated when it comes to jump balls. Steve Smith at less than six feet tall was a lot better in jump balls than the 6'4 Marlon Brown. Crockett Gillmore was 20 pounds bigger and 2 inches taller than Pitta, but was total ass at the jump ball. That two inches doesn't make a damn bit of difference when the vertical disparity is only slightly different and a guy doesn't know how to position his body well, and/or they don't have the toughness. Gesicki may have better hops than Pitta, but that's like trying to compare Vince Carter's dunking ability to Micheal Jordan's. The difference isn't that much. Pitta isn't that much aster than Gesicki either. Why were Gesicki and Pitta so good at jump balls? Both had excellent body control, well above average leaping ability(and yes, Pitta had this. They're not Tony Gonzelalez, but who is), and vice grips for hands that go with toughness. It's not like we're comparing Calvin Johnson to Antonio Brown. Where all of that height does make a difference. It's two inches, and Pitta wasn't exactly short. He was a 6'4 TE, about average size, but he could jump and make insanely difficult grabs. Gesicki is what, two inches taller? Julio Jones is as good at Jump balls as Megatron was despite Megatron being two inches taller.

Jump balls aren't necessarily about height. Anquan Boldin was 6'1, but was a damn good jump ball guy.

But overall, Gesicki might have slightly more potential than Pitta. But the disparity is incredibly small. It's slight. Stop acting like he's going to be much better. If Pitta was able to stay healthy for his career he'd be a multiple time pro bowler.

Smh......

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Gesicki's problems are more technical than anything and frankly.. He would've fixed it by now if he was going to. Getting stronger should help, but strength isn't his big issue. He sometimes will put a defender on his ass if he has to. Getting stronger would help, but honestly I don't think he improves his blocking. Which is fine: that's not why teams are going to draft him.

And not really. Height is overrated when it comes to jump balls. Steve Smith at less than six feet tall was a lot better in jump balls than the 6'4 Marlon Brown. Crockett Gillmore was 20 pounds bigger and 2 inches taller than Pitta, but was total ass at the jump ball. That two inches doesn't make a damn bit of difference when the vertical disparity is only slightly different and a guy doesn't know how to position his body well, and/or they don't have the toughness. Gesicki may have better hops than Pitta, but that's like trying to compare Vince Carter's dunking ability to Micheal Jordan's. The difference isn't that much. Pitta isn't that much aster than Gesicki either. Why were Gesicki and Pitta so good at jump balls? Both had excellent body control, well above average leaping ability(and yes, Pitta had this. They're not Tony Gonzelalez, but who is), and vice grips for hands that go with toughness. It's not like we're comparing Calvin Johnson to Antonio Brown. Where all of that height does make a difference. It's two inches, and Pitta wasn't exactly short. He was a 6'4 TE, about average size, but he could jump and make insanely difficult grabs. Gesicki is what, two inches taller? Julio Jones is as good at Jump balls as Megatron was despite Megatron being two inches taller.

Jump balls aren't necessarily about height. Anquan Boldin was 6'1, but was a damn good jump ball guy.

But overall, Gesicki might have slightly more potential than Pitta. But the disparity is incredibly small. It's slight. Stop acting like he's going to be much better. If Pitta was able to stay healthy for his career he'd be a multiple time pro bowler.

Smh......

The Dennis Pitta Song

Does your hip hang low, Does it wobble to and fro?
-Insert dramatic metal breakdown here-

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Exactly. Probably will end up TE2 on my board after further study
Haven’t taken an extensive look.

But shit this TE class might be deeper than last year’s. Doesn’t have quite the top end talent, but it comes close. I’ve compared someone to Witten already. That’s a good sign

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

But shit this TE class might be deeper than last year’s. Doesn’t have quite the top end talent, but it comes close. I’ve compared someone to Witten already. That’s a good sign
Comparing a TE prospect to a future HOF. Not bad at all

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

Meh I don't follow you on that. I think it's better than 2016 and 2015 for sure but nowhere near comparable to 2017. Top end talent wise, only Andrews could compare with the three first rounders (he's probably be between Njoku and Engram) but apart from him, Gesicki and Goedert look promising and Fumagali doesn't impress me much.
2017 had incredible depth as well.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Meh I don't follow you on that. I think it's better than 2016 and 2015 for sure but nowhere near comparable to 2017. Top end talent wise, only Andrews could compare with the three first rounders (he's probably be between Njoku and Engram) but apart from him, Gesicki and Goedert look promising and Fumagali doesn't impress me much.
2017 had incredible depth as well.
I think Hayden Hurst could compare soley as a football player. But his age could hold him back a bit.

I have to disagree on Fumagali. I'm not nearly as high on him as Joey is, but he clearly has the looks of a #1 TE imo. Strong hands, good blocker, good route runner, good jump ball ability.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I think Hayden Hurst could compare soley as a football player. But his age could hold him back a bit.

I have to disagree on Fumagali. I'm not nearly as high on him as Joey is, but he clearly has the looks of a #1 TE imo. Strong hands, good blocker, good route runner, good jump ball ability.
Ah, right, I always forget about Hurst. I'll have to check him out some day.
I don't know with Fumagali. He looks like an average athlete and I've seen some questionnable drops.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ah, right, I always forget about Hurst. I'll have to check him out some day.
I don't know with Fumagali. He looks like an average athlete and I've seen some questionnable drops.
He makes seemingly every tough catch and he's no sprinter but he can leap out the damn stadium to snag one in coverage, he also boxes out as well as any TE prospect in recent years

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I watch a lot of Notre Dame tape and Duram Smythe keeps popping up and making great grabs over the middle. As a flex TE to stretch the field he looks great.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
@Jacquouille I like Dallas G but not sure I'd take him over Andrews. Andrews himself has impressive athleticism along with an innate ability to find soft spots in the zone. Has better hands too. Dallas' hands aren't bad but some of the drops are very concerning.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
@Jacquouille I like Dallas G but not sure I'd take him over Andrews. Andrews himself has impressive athleticism along with an innate ability to find soft spots in the zone. Has better hands too. Dallas' hands aren't bad but some of the drops are very concerning.
That's true, but outside of that Goedert has the ability to make spectacular, full extension catches that you don't see from a TE. I think he'd be a monster target in the MOF with the way we've been using play action.