• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest disappointment this season?

Well, The Ravens are sitting at 3-4 and currently it looks like things are not going according to plan. We thought that our safety duo would be up there with Seattle(Not even close), our DL would wreck havoc, our LBs would be flying side-line to side-line, and that we would have the best receiving corp that Joe has ever had, well, none of that has came to fruition and the Ravens are left wondering what on Earth went wrong. With that said, I really would like to know which unit you believe has let you, or the Ravens down the most?

The Safeties: Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson have not come close to the type of play they produced last season. Weddle was one of the three best safeties in the NFL and Tony Jefferson was a stud in Arizona. These two apparently have forgot the art of tackling and have let up in coverage numerous times.

The Wide Receivers: Breshad Perriman has failed to take the next step and has a problem when it comes to catching the Football. His future here looks very bleak at the moment. After that Jeremy Maclin has produced 159 in 7 games for the Ravens, not close to the type of production the Ravens envisioned when they signed him. Mike Wallace has produced 248 yards, nothing close to what he's done last season.

Defensive Line: We talked highly about this unit as one of the most talented and deepest unit in the league. As of now they're the 30th ranked run defense and has allowed a league high 1,017 yards through 7 games, that's simply appalling for the Ravens and something they have never seen. The Ravens depth, that was seen as a strength apparently is a weakness.

Offensive Line: This unit was supposed to be a strength of the team. With Howard and Stanley sealing the edges. Stanley was man-handled, absolutely taken to school by Everyone Griffen as he allowed two sacks and multiple pressure against the should be, All-Pro DE Everson Griffen. Howard looks like he has regressed a bit but has been solid at RT. Sadly, injuries has shredded this OL as losing All Pro Marshall Yanda has been detrimental for this season, after that Hurst has been decent but I'm sure we would like to have Alex Lewis at that LG spot preferably. It's unfortunate when you lose your starting OG and back ups. That's a situation no one can plan for. This unit has been a surprise run blocking wise, but has been a problem in terms of pass blocking. Strength turned to weakness and weakness turned in strength. It's unfortunate the year the Ravens can open up holes in the run game, that they all the sudden can't pass block anymore.

For me, it's the safeties. No one could predict Weddle falling off this badly, he not only has been allowing plays in coverage, but he has regressed mightily in run stopping. Jefferson, who was Brought in a allow Weddle to play a traditional safety role and be a force in run stopping has not done either. I think the safeties not only has been a weak link on our defense but have not been close to the type of play anticipated.

ZonaRaven

Practice Squad
Perriman failing to take the next step is possibly the most clever phrasing in the history of man.

For me, it's the defense and Marty. Joe is Joe, but seeing McCown and even the Browns garbage keep them in games and move the ball occasionally, I put a lot of this on Marty.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Jefferson proving me right when i said i did not like the signing.

Bowser and Williams not seeing the field enough.

Correa also proving me right when i wanted myles jack so bad.

not touching the offense in this 1 lol

redrum52

Hall of Famer

Didn't like that signing either and didn't understand spending money on a safety at the time. Wanted Jack as well.

Thread is biggest disappointment so I can't speak on the offense since I had no real expectations. The run blocking is a surprise though. Correa on his way to bust town with Mound Cody and the other "successful" 2nd round picks. Annoying that the productive ones always seem to find new homes...

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Tried to tell people that jefferson wasnt as good as advertised. Cant cover and dont make open field tackles like he should. People on these boards fall for hype

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think we should use our 2nd round pick to trade up in the 1st to get a surefire elite prospect whos potentially pro bowl ready.

I mean i laugh whenever i hear decosta saying we're going to get a first round talent in the 2nd round
we're a joke in the 2nd round...an utter joke.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Didn't like that signing either and didn't understand spending money on a safety at the time. Wanted Jack as well.

Thread is biggest disappointment so I can't speak on the offense since I had no real expectations. The run blocking is a surprise though. Correa on his way to bust town with Mound Cody and the other "successful" 2nd round picks. Annoying that the productive ones always seem to find new homes...
Can we just start trading our second round picks for proven vets

redrum52

Hall of Famer
i think we should use our 2nd round pick to trade up in the 1st to get a surefire elite prospect whos potentially pro bowl ready.

I mean i laugh whenever i hear decosta saying we're going to get a first round talent in the 2nd round
we're a joke in the 2nd round...an utter joke.

Could be wrong cause I don't care enough to look it up, but it seems it usually happens with the trade down.

Rice, Kruger, Torrey, KO, Timmy. 2 great players and the rest were at least decent to average. Have had some horrible misses. FO needs to stop thinking depth sometimes and just go for talent. See something worth it move the hell up.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Tried to tell people that jefferson wasnt as good as advertised. Cant cover and dont make open field tackles like he should. People on these boards fall for hype

laughed when people claimed Weddle and Jefferson where better then Kam and Thomas.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
My biggest disappointment so far is the defense. And the injuries.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If you watched Jefferson play in Arizona, you’d know that he can cover and cover very well.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
trade up to where? we are already gonna have the number 1 pick... ;)

can't see the 49'ers or browns winning 3

I'd say we're top 6.

either way i dont care. They are going to take their pathetic round 2 pick ( as they would end up with a pathetic player in that round) and trade up 2 spots if needed for S.Barkley
OR they pick the most certain prospect i've seen in the draft on the O line in Q.Nelson. This guy is going to be the best guard in the NFL for years. Or they pick minkah fitz ( which ozzie would do as he's bama)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
can't see the 49'ers or browns winning 3

I'd say we're top 6.

either way i dont care. They are going to take their pathetic round 2 pick ( as they would end up with a pathetic player in that round) and trade up 2 spots if needed for S.Barkley
OR they pick the most certain prospect i've seen in the draft on the O line in Q.Nelson. This guy is going to be the best guard in the NFL for years. Or they pick minkah fitz ( which ozzie would do as he's bama)
Give me Nelson and I’d be ecstatic.

Tru11

Practice Squad
I laughed at first then noticed that they all were serious. Its all good though, not everyone can put their fandom to the side and be real

i think they are mistaking him with mathieu when they talk about a safety being good in coverage in arizona lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lmao no he couldnt. Come on man. So what happen this year? Idk what you guys be watching man.
I don’t know what happened to him this year, but last year he was excellent in coverage, especially on tight ends. Don’t take my word for it. This is @Filmstudy (ken McKusick)
http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/03/12/filmstudy/tony-jefferson-2016-review/

He and Weddle are both having down years and taking bad angles and Weddle is also typically very good in coverage. No question they aren’t doing well this year, but last year, both did well in coverage.