• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest disappointment this season?

Tru11

Practice Squad
He did a god job covering TEs, that about it when it comes to his coverage.

This paragraph pretty much sums up what we have been seeing so for:
The biggest possibility to have Jefferson fail is to ask him to be someone he is not. I was unimpressed with his play on the back end. He didn’t instinctively anticipate the throw or read the QB in these games. He also didn’t transition from pass to run quickly enough to impact many run plays. Said otherwise, he’s a player who seeks specific man or zone responsibilities, but is not a natural gambler like Reed, Eric Weddle, Rod Woodson, C.J. Mosley, or Ray Lewis. I realize those are all great players, but anticipation/gambling ability is often the difference between good and great. Obviously, the Ravens like Jefferson, and Newsome’s use of the word “ascending” indicates (or I am projecting) they see a player who can improve in that phase.

Now with Hill and canady back we might move Webb back as the deep safety and move jefferson closer to the LOS where he could potentially play better in role besides mosley.

like how the cards are use bucannon.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
like how the cards are use bucannon.

since the signing of jefferson was announced i really wanted to see him as the dime backer with weddle as the strong safety and webby as the deep safety and maybe now that jaylen hill is back (and played well on his limited snaps) and canady is practicing again we can actually maybe look at using that sort of an alignment

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I don’t know what happened to him this year, but last year he was excellent in coverage, especially on tight ends. Don’t take my word for it. This is @Filmstudy (ken McKusick)
http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/03/12/filmstudy/tony-jefferson-2016-review/

He and Weddle are both having down years and taking bad angles and Weddle is also typically very good in coverage. No question they aren’t doing well this year, but last year, both did well in coverage.
only problem weddle ever had was his tackling. ill never discredit his cvg ability

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
As a defensive minded person, the defense has failed me! While I didn't buy into the hype of them being as good as the 2000 defense (C'mon! No one could have believed that one now could they?), I was ecstatic when I saw their performance in the 1st two games of the season. ONLY, to have the wheels come off so quickly!

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Ronnie Stanley. He is supposed to be a wall at left tackle. He looks like he lost a lot of size. He looks skinny yet flabby compared to late last year. I showed a pic of him. to somebody that works with athletics for Notre Dame. Because he said Stanley doesn't look all that strong but he is. Anyways he looked at the pic and said that isn't the Stanley I saw. And was amazed how big his arms and shoulders got to be. I look at Stanley this year and he looks more like his college size. Last year he was nearly as big as Cam Robinson. There are many many disappointments on the ravens. But Stanley is the biggest by far!! He is supposed to be the anchor of the line.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jefferson has been extremely disappointing. After watching those two back to back missed open field tackles on Murray last week, I was furious. The entire offense is one big disappointment. All of the injuries are disappointments. Was really hyped about Urban starting, his injury is one I'm really pissed about.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jefferson has been extremely disappointing. After watching those two back to back missed open field tackles on Murray last week, I was furious. The entire offense is one big disappointment. All of the injuries are disappointments. Was really hyped about Urban starting, his injury is one I'm really pissed about.

The offense is and has been pure TRASH! They are embarrassing to watch! So, I watch ALL Ravens games alone where no one can see me...:ph34r:

Ronnie Stanley. He is supposed to be a wall at left tackle. He looks like he lost a lot of size. He looks skinny yet flabby compared to late last year. I showed a pic of him. to somebody that works with athletics for Notre Dame. Because he said Stanley doesn't look all that strong but he is. Anyways he looked at the pic and said that isn't the Stanley I saw. And was amazed how big his arms and shoulders got to be. I look at Stanley this year and he looks more like his college size. Last year he was nearly as big as Cam Robinson. There are many many disappointments on the ravens. But Stanley is the biggest by far!! He is supposed to be the anchor of the line.

Well these days the true anchor of a line in the center, pass rushers switch sides for better matchups so the blindside tackle isnt as important as it used to be. Also you put a lot of stock into pictures, some angles can be misleading and the bodytype argument isnt a great one either, Willie Anderson was a great tackle.

Urban has been injured since he fell out of the womb.

Last edited:

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
The run D being ranked last in the league is the biggest disappointment considering expectations and results.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

What? Hasn't Stanley been our best lineman this year or am I mistaken?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah but SledgeHammer reasons in proteins and muscles. On field performance is so overrated.

Yeah, I guess Stanley being our best lineman this year and one of the best LTs in the league doesn't matter. He could end up looking like McKinnie for all I care as long as he does his job. lol

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Breshad Perriman and Maxx Williams as well as our front 7. Havent had the sacks weve been expecting. Part of that is the run defense.

Also Tony Jefferson has been a major dissapointment

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean, he was on an island against Everson Griffen all game long. It had to happen at some point against a top3 pass rusher.

i just wrote this about the same idea in the oline thread

i dont know what to make of his game vs the vikings - on the one hand he got beat twice that i can remember for sacks (not sure if thats accurate recall or not) but i remember on at least one of them he pushed griffen beyond the pocket and round where flacco should have been but flacco moved right to get out of the pocket and ran right into griffen's path for the sack fumble

i dont know if its a speed rush thing or whether it was just a bad day given that normally that sack fumble wouldnt have happened if flacco read the pocket and went left rather than right

griffen went round stanley but didnt bend the edge by him he just went all the way round the pocket in a circle and the only reason he got flacco was because flacco left the pocket into his path