• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What Would You Do if You Were Ozzie?

Yes, yes, and yes. I feel like we say youth movement every year, lol.

I think power is here and on it's way. James Hurst and Urschel were the last remnants of the pure zone days. Alex Lewis and Nico Siragusa and Jermaine Eluemunor clearly signify a desire to get more power.

Speed on the dline (and the edge) is necessary -- and it could be on its way. Draft picks like Brent Urban, Bronso Kaufusi, and Willie Henry again show a clear desire to get more athletic on the interior. Two were hurt last year, and the healthy guy surpassed expectations. Only time will tell whether Ozzie relapses and drafts another Terrence Cody. Boy does Ozzie love big and slow. But there's a reason our interior pass rush has always been so bad. There's little athleticism there.

I agree with this but personally I would move on from Urban, dude is made of glass.

The Raven

Veteran
Probably the best first step on the team but he wears down quickly, if we can rotate him correctly then he should be a good starter but stamina seemed like a big issue for him.
Hopefully he shapes up. Believe that was a knock on him in college too.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think he really blew it this year because he rolled the dice on Perriman. People forget that prior to having Maclin we had Wallace and Perriman as our #1 and #2, everyone knew at that time that it was a risk and after that we gambled on a guy who was universally known as an injury prone player in Maclin. I think hindsight applies here and while we did jump on the bandwagon, many of us including those in the media criticized Ozzie for his draft/FA approach in regards to the offense and it looks like it was somewhat warranted.

Of course you can't prepare for losing your starters guards and their back ups. That said in terms of the receivers he did not do a good job and in the end it's the unit that cost us our season.
This just simply isn’t true. Jeremy Maclin was not universally known as injury prone.

He was hurt a lot last year with the Chiefs. But that’s it. He’s been very reliable in his career. You’ve gotta do some research and not just go off what people say on this board.

This just simply isn’t true. Jeremy Maclin was not universally known as injury prone.

He was hurt a lot last year with the Chiefs. But that’s it. He’s been very reliable in his career. You’ve gotta do some research and not just go off what people say on this board.

Players generally become less durable as they age, and hes only played two full seasons.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If I were ozzie, here's what I do...

There isn't enough blue chip caliber offensive players mid first where we are, I do everything for a trade back, the second round is the strongest in years for offense and day 2 is packed with skill positions. So I'm looking for a trade back and looking to STACK skill positions and OL.

In free agency I'm first making a call to Robinson, I cut maclin, I strongly consider keeping Carr because db depth is invaluable especially for the ravens, if we luck into a good corner like we so often do then Carr becomes expendable but on our current roster I keep him. If Robinson is gonna get way too much for us, I'm looking at marqise lee and basically giving him what he wants unless he gets some absurd market breaking offer.

Regardless of what I do in FA, I'm looking to stack up on off se in the draft. If we can trade back to say 26, pick up a 2nd, then I'm looking to take PRO READY offensive players, I'm done looking at flashy combine numbers like ozzie has done with WRs. Mid 20s give me one of mark Andrews or Christian Kirk, both are very safe and will be steady contributors as pros and Andrews will be more, he will be a premiere TE. Round 2 with 2 picks I'm taking Anthony miller or cedrick wilson, yes 2 pass catchers, then if I don't take Andrews I'm looking at TEs with the trade-gained pick, hurst/goedert are gonna get a look, if we have a TE already I'm looking at the OL, Orlando brown and Isaiah wynn at the top of my board there.

So that leaves us with:
WR/WR/TE
TE/WR/OL
or even WR/TE/OL but If the TE we land isn't Andrews then I'd prefer stacking more catchers rather than OL, because I don't think any of the other TEs are good enough to keep us from getting another early wr like Andrews is.

Third round, if we only got one wr, then I'm looking at deon Cain if he's available, or DJ Moore. If we have 2 WRs already then I'm looking at OL help and if we hadn't taken a TE at all then I'm taking a hard look at gesicki and fumagalli.

Late rounds as always we take BPA, any position, build depth anywhere with the best possible players. try our best to avoid projects, stick with the small school formula because we use it well, get players who will contribute rather than athletes who can't learn how to play at the next level.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Maclin has had injury troubles before last year - it’s one of the reasons the eagles didn’t want to keep him and it’s the same with the chiefs too - it would only be fitting if Maclin was chucked from a third team partly for the same reasons as the first two

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Players generally become less durable as they age, and hes only played two full seasons.

Maclin has had injury troubles before last year - it’s one of the reasons the eagles didn’t want to keep him and it’s the same with the chiefs too - it would only be fitting if Maclin was chucked from a third team partly for the same reasons as the first two
Before these past two seasons he’s played in 15, 16, 13, 15, 16, and 15 games.
If that’s being “injury prone” then half of the NFL is “injury prone”. No one is ever 100% healthy as the season goes on. That doesn’t mean they were injury prone. If Jeremy Maclin was injury prone, then hey guys I guess so are guys like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, and Antonio Brown.

Now he might be, as his body is wearing down, but before the last two seasons, no.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
If I were ozzie, here's what I do...

There isn't enough blue chip caliber offensive players mid first where we are, I do everything for a trade back, the second round is the strongest in years for offense and day 2 is packed with skill positions. So I'm looking for a trade back and looking to STACK skill positions and OL.

In free agency I'm first making a call to Robinson, I cut maclin, I strongly consider keeping Carr because db depth is invaluable especially for the ravens, if we luck into a good corner like we so often do then Carr becomes expendable but on our current roster I keep him. If Robinson is gonna get way too much for us, I'm looking at marqise lee and basically giving him what he wants unless he gets some absurd market breaking offer.

Regardless of what I do in FA, I'm looking to stack up on off se in the draft. If we can trade back to say 26, pick up a 2nd, then I'm looking to take PRO READY offensive players, I'm done looking at flashy combine numbers like ozzie has done with WRs. Mid 20s give me one of mark Andrews or Christian Kirk, both are very safe and will be steady contributors as pros and Andrews will be more, he will be a premiere TE. Round 2 with 2 picks I'm taking Anthony miller or cedrick wilson, yes 2 pass catchers, then if I don't take Andrews I'm looking at TEs with the trade-gained pick, hurst/goedert are gonna get a look, if we have a TE already I'm looking at the OL, Orlando brown and Isaiah wynn at the top of my board there.

So that leaves us with:
WR/WR/TE
TE/WR/OL
or even WR/TE/OL but If the TE we land isn't Andrews then I'd prefer stacking more catchers rather than OL, because I don't think any of the other TEs are good enough to keep us from getting another early wr like Andrews is.

Third round, if we only got one wr, then I'm looking at deon Cain if he's available, or DJ Moore. If we have 2 WRs already then I'm looking at OL help and if we hadn't taken a TE at all then I'm taking a hard look at gesicki and fumagalli.

Late rounds as always we take BPA, any position, build depth anywhere with the best possible players. try our best to avoid projects, stick with the small school formula because we use it well, get players who will contribute rather than athletes who can't learn how to play at the next level.
Damn wouldn’t it be something if we took two WR in the first 3 rounds. I’d like to see it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Before these past two seasons he’s played in 15, 16, 13, 15, 16, and 15 games.
If that’s being “injury prone” then half of the NFL is “injury prone”. No one is ever 100% healthy as the season goes on. That doesn’t mean they were injury prone. If Jeremy Maclin was injury prone, then hey guys I guess so are guys like Julio Jones, Dez Bryant, and Antonio Brown.

Now he might be, as his body is wearing down, but before the last two seasons, no.

you're legit reading the stats wrong - he missed the entire 2013 season
and has been niggled up a lot in a load of those games

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Damn wouldn’t it be something if we took two WR in the first 3 rounds. I’d like to see it.
I don't see any other way to improve our passing game, our skill positions have been so horrible since 2013 idk how we have even made it to .500 or better