• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

What Would You Do if You Were Ozzie?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Let’s play a game. Assuming we finish out the year the way we’ve been playing, we’re destined for a top 10 pick in the draft. If you were Ozzie Newsome, or the front office in general, what would you do in order to bring this team back into contention for the 2018-2019 season?

If I was making the decisions, I would focus on offense like we did with defense last offseason. If we have a pick outside of the top 5, I’m trading into it to secure Saquon Barkley. Flacco needs that stud RB like he had in Rice. No more stopgaps, and no more RBBC’s. I’m also paying for Jarvis Landry. He’s the perfect piece for this offense. I’m cutting ties with Mike Wallace and looking to replace him with someone like John Brown or a speedy rookie. No more relying on Breshad. He should be, at best, the 4th WR on the depth chart.

I’m also saying bye to Marty. I know this is more Harbaugh’s decision, but if he wants to keep his buddy, I’m intervening with Steve in order to get this guy the hell out of Baltimore. I’m pounding the table for a competent OC who has a history of great play calling, or at least a young gun that’s hungry to run an offense and work around Flacco’s strengths.

Just a few quick thoughts as to what I would do for starters. What about you guys?

Tru11

Practice Squad
clean house with the coaches.

give flacco 1 last chance under new management.

pick the best player between o-line,safety,rb or WR unless a ridiculous good olb or dliner is there.

time to get difference makers

JAAM

Hall of Famer
clean house with the coaches.

give flacco 1 last chance under new management.

pick the best player between o-line,safety,rb or WR unless a ridiculous good olb or dliner is there.

time to get difference makers
So you think it’s time to get rid of Harbaugh? I’m willing to give him one more year because of the injuries, but I can definitely understand where you’re coming from.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Plan is simple

1. Fire everyone except Roman and our LBs coach.
2. Hire Teryl Austin as HC
3. Here Ted Mocachino as “DC”.
4. Fix the oline.
5. Dedicate the majority of the draft to offense.
6. Give Flacco one last chance.
7. Find an oc. Whether it be Roman or someone else.
Curious; why would you hire Austin to run the team? I would like that decision, though I’d rather we get an offensive mind as Head Coach.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Curious; why would you hire Austin to run the team? I would like that decision, though I’d rather we get an offensive mind as Head Coach.
Great defensive mind, knows how to maximize personel, team is more suited to have a defensive identity anyway.

Offensive minds are good but Austin has familiarity within the organization and has a ton more upside than anyone on the market imo unless the impossible happens and the Saints fire Sean Payton

Tru11

Practice Squad
So you think it’s time to get rid of Harbaugh? I’m willing to give him one more year because of the injuries, but I can definitely understand where you’re coming from.

we need a breath of fresh air.
keep our special teams coach and let the new HC fill the other positions if needed.

Might do wonders for flacco and we might have less injuries.

This is just not working anymore....

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Go offense-heavy in the draft and pray that Harbaugh hires new coordinators. I honestly wouldn't mind replacing Harbaugh either, but only if we can get the right guy. Also, I'm 99% sure that Harbaugh will be given one more year regardless of what happens this season because Biscotti still has faith in him.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Go offense-heavy in the draft and pray that Harbaugh hires new coordinators. I honestly wouldn't mind replacing Harbaugh either, but only if we can get the right guy. Also, I'm 99% sure that Harbaugh will be given one more year regardless of what happens this season because Biscotti still has faith in him.

the last time the FO overruled harbaugh we ended up with Kubiak.
if we keep him pls dont let him fill in the other coaching positions.....

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
the last time the FO overruled harbaugh we ended up with Kubiak.
if we keep him pls dont let him fill in the other coaching positions.....

Are you saying that the FO should pick out the coordinators? I'm cool with that. Just please, get rid of Marty and Pees; I can't take it anymore!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Are you saying that the FO should pick out the coordinators? I'm cool with that. Just please, get rid of Marty and Pees; I can't take it anymore!
Most teams have the coaching staff pick out the coordinators, but I’d like a collaboration. Too many bust coordinators under Harbaugh. I don’t have an issue with him as a coach and a leader, but picking coordinators, he’s awful.

Last edited:

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Most teams have the coaching staff pick out the coordinators, but I’d like a collaboration. Too many bust coordinators under Harbaugh. I don’t have an issue with him as a coach and a leader, but picking coordinators, he’s awful.

Definitely can't argue that. The other problem is that he sticks with his coordinators, as awful as they are, for far too long.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Plan is simple

1. Fire everyone except Roman and our LBs coach.
2. Hire Teryl Austin as HC
3. Here Ted Mocachino as “DC”.
4. Fix the oline.
5. Dedicate the majority of the draft to offense.
6. Give Flacco one last chance.
7. Find an oc. Whether it be Roman or someone else.

id keep roman, wink, joe d'allesandris, tom hammock and maybe joe cullen (given that hes only been in the job on his own for like 18 months)

i love teryl austin as a possible hc (would also like mcdaniels, patricia or mike mccoy)

id bring in a young dc if we got a defensive minded head coach

if we have a good 1st round draft pick (like top 12) my motto might literally be best notre dame offensive lineman available if im honest - mcglinchey or nelson should be there given the talent at other positions

would also be happy having an offensively dominant draft - would love it if we got a lineman in the first round and then got 3 skill position players in rounds 2 and 3

flacco gets one last chance (even if we end up top 3 and get josh rosen or our other chosen qb) but potentially he gets 2 last chances depending on the qb class in 2019

maybe greg roman at OC but with the way the browns are going maybe we have a chance at bringing hue jackson back into the building as an oc

The Greek

Veteran
i personally believe harbaugh will have no choice but to hire new coordinators once steve talks to him but im pretty sure roman will get his shot soon especially if we lose thursday and the offense looks like crap again. now if i were ozzie i would retire. decosta should grab the best player available on offense with our pick and continue to stick with players on offense until we get to the 4th round than go bpa. the bpa approach in early rounds has hurt us in previous years because our scouts over valued players like elam, correia, perriman, brown and we know how that has worked out. yanda and howard are in their 30's and yanda has had injuries the past few seasons so finding replacements for these guys must happen soon. o-line, rb, wr or te in the 1st 3 rounds

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Retire.

I am too old for this shit.

If you need me I will be in the Caribbean somewhere.

he should retire with the biggest parade ever given in Baltimore. a parade which leads right up to m&t bank stadium and the unveiling of his 10 times life size bronze auguste rodin statue. A statue so big it looks like a tyrannosaurus rex

Do whatever I can to get an edge, receivers, and an OG here.

I think we badly need a full time edge. I think Suggs can be still play but the Ravens need to monitor his snap count and find a way to make him not have to be the primary source of their pass rush. They need a full time edge rusher badly here and it’s way overdue.

You know how when a back up is told to step in as a starter, all they’re told is to not screw up? Well Eluemunor is not just screwing up, he’s borderline wrecking the entire game plan. We need a G here badly.

Stock up on WRs in FA/Draft and do not stop until you have adequate depth and can seriously challenge defenses. Do not rely on guys who have issues staying on the field to step up.