• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that is constantly worrying about our OLine? Like I keep telling myself on paper it has a chance to be way better than last year's, but that's on paper.

I just know that with a good online we're gonna be hard to beat. Did we do enough?

Am I the only one that is constantly worrying about our OLine? Like I keep telling myself on paper it has a chance to be way better than last year's, but that's on paper.

I just know that with a good online we're gonna be hard to beat. Did we do enough?
It all depends on Stanley being healthy, but if he is then I think we're good. We've coached up far worse personnel into a serviceable line.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
It all depends on Stanley being healthy, but if he is then I think we're good. We've coached up far worse personnel into a serviceable line.

Joe D (who by the way is also an excellent person) does a fantastic job with whatever talent we give him. Conditioning, doing the best with whatever ability a player has, motivating them for success, helping them learn multiple positions for flexibility, etc

I’m not worried at all, I think Stanley, Cleveland, Bozeman, Zeitler, Villanueva is a great line, I worry about depth though. Far more worried about pass rush

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

in my opinion, by getting Stanley back and improving the interior, we are a much better OL. I also don't think RT will be much worse when Orlando Brown was playing there, but lets not forget that 9 games we had a swinging door.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
in my opinion, by getting Stanley back and improving the interior, we are a much better OL. I also don't think RT will be much worse when Orlando Brown was playing there, but lets not forget that 9 games we had a swinging door.

No offense to Orlando, but RT on our offense is the easiest position to play on our OL with Lamar back there. Villanueva should definitely be an upgrade over the rotation we had going on even if he isn't as good as Orlando.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
No offense to Orlando, but RT on our offense is the easiest position to play on our OL with Lamar back there. Villanueva should definitely be an upgrade over the rotation we had going on even if he isn't as good as Orlando.
that's my point. I absolutely think we will have a better OL than last year.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stanley seems to always be nicked up in some way. I know we paid him a ton of money, but eventually, it may be smart to go after a rock solid LT of the future who can back him up when Stanley gets nicked up again

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Stanley seems to always be nicked up in some way. I know we paid him a ton of money, but eventually, it may be smart to go after a rock solid LT of the future who can back him up when Stanley gets nicked up again
Ehh, I don't really see it. Teams have a hard enough time finding one solid LT. Pretty much nobody has two.

I think you can go looking in the draft for another OBJ type, who can play the right side and can swing over to the left if injuries occur. But if you want another Stanley type player, you'll likely need another top 10-15 draft pick to get one.

I've been harping on depth at Tackle for years as a need. I think that's why Villaneuva and James are here. Both should be just fine at RT, and at least with Villaneuva, you know he can be at least a competent LT if needed. There's just no way you're going to make the same kind of investment you made in Ronnie on somebody to be a backup or probably to even play the right side.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ehh, I don't really see it. Teams have a hard enough time finding one solid LT. Pretty much nobody has two.

I think you can go looking in the draft for another OBJ type, who can play the right side and can swing over to the left if injuries occur. But if you want another Stanley type player, you'll likely need another top 10-15 draft pick to get one.

I've been harping on depth at Tackle for years as a need. I think that's why Villaneuva and James are here. Both should be just fine at RT, and at least with Villaneuva, you know he can be at least a competent LT if needed. There's just no way you're going to make the same kind of investment you made in Ronnie on somebody to be a backup or probably to even play the right side.

I didn’t mean a pro bowl all pro talent. I mean a cheap guy who can come in and play at least adequately for us for at least a few years. Not even someone on OBJs level last year.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn’t mean a pro bowl all pro talent. I mean a cheap guy who can come in and play at least adequately for us for at least a few years. Not even someone on OBJs level last year.
I mean, we signed Villaneuva and James. Wouldn't they qualify?

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Short term. But those guys were brought in to play RT. I’m talking about a guy who plays LT/isn’t expected to be a full time starter. A solid backup LT
I don't think you can find someone affordable and long term without drafting somebody. Which is fine, but they'd probably end up as our RT like Orlando if they're a decent tackle.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Short term. But those guys were brought in to play RT. I’m talking about a guy who plays LT/isn’t expected to be a full time starter. A solid backup LT
Have we really ever done that? Pretty much anybody you get is going to be a swing tackle, meaning they can play both spots, or your RT kicks to the left side.

I mean those guys were brought in to play the right side, but they're kicking to the left if Stanley gets hurt, and whoever is next on the depth chart will play the right side. Same thing happened with OBJ.

From a roster construction/cap standpoint, its not like you can really afford to pay a guy like, say, $5-6M a year, or maybe more (if you want an average player) to be a backup that hopefully never plays.

For perspective, the closest thing you're describing is what we did with James Hurst, who we signed for like $4.5M/year on a 4 year deal back in 2018. He was also, unreasonably so, one of the more despised Ravens I can ever remember. He was versatile and could play 4 positions, and ideally, he never started at any of them.

Like that's an option, but that's also the kind of player you're getting. If you want something better than him, it could cost 2x as much. Not really something this team is likely to be able to afford anytime soon.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think you can find someone affordable and long term without drafting somebody. Which is fine, but they'd probably end up as our RT like Orlando if they're a decent tackle.
Correct. It doesn't always work this way, but if you're signing a guy who's good enough to be an average LT, why wouldn't he be above average as a RT or a Guard? In which case, why isn't he the starter there?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
regarding AV, he played LT for the Steelers, so he can do it. If you are talking about a young guy, that can be here longer, than that's most likely going to be in the draft.