• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yup, like when we took daelin hayes and pushed extra hard to sign ardarius Washington and I was just like fuck yea man I know a ravens defender when I see one lol

Drafting Bateman. Double-dip with Tylan Wallace. Acquiring Ar’Darius Washington. Bringing in 2 WR gurus and putting more emphasis on our passing game.

This is not the Ravens I fell in love with.
Who are you!?!

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Drafting Bateman. Double-dip with Tylan Wallace. Acquiring Ar’Darius Washington. Bringing in 2 WR gurus and putting more emphasis on our passing game.

This is not the Ravens I fell in love with.
Who are you!?!

ill say im surprised by bateman just because im always scared they wont draft the guy i want

but the pick that really actually surprised me (because bateman actually made a ton of sense) was Oweh because it was so unlike the ravens to pick him... an athletic freak who didnt hit the weight or production metrics we normally use for that position - and he missed them by a long way...

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
ill say im surprised by bateman just because im always scared they wont draft the guy i want

but the pick that really actually surprised me (because bateman actually made a ton of sense) was Oweh because it was so unlike the ravens to pick him... an athletic freak who didnt hit the weight or production metrics we normally use for that position - and he missed them by a long way...

im sure the drafting of Oweh was a lot more of a “need” pick than they would like to admit. This EDGE class was nothing to get hyped about to begin with. Guess they might as well shoot for the stars if so. Lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im sure the drafting of Oweh was a lot more of a “need” pick than they would like to admit. This EDGE class was nothing to get hyped about to begin with. Guess they might as well shoot for the stars if so. Lol

idk about need - the real need at that point in time would have been tackle - and there was one that a lot of us loved who was available at that spot in teven jenkins...

from the way hortiz and EDC have talked about the board it sounds like they had Oweh and Rousseau and Bateman all similarly ranked but knew that Bateman wouldn't make it to 31 but thought one of rousseau and oweh might...

oweh didnt really feel like a reach in the true sense of the word - just seemed like a non-ravens pick based on their history of drafting EDGE - payton turner or carlos basham feel like they fit the ravens EDGE profile a lot better

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
seems everyone has - including marlon

but tbf ive been raving about them before they even stepped on the field lol - it's pretty amazing that we snapped up 1 of the most highly-regarded college WR coaches and also probably the pre-eminent non-affiliated WR coach and route guru in the industry despite getting the least use out of our WRs of any NFL team

Harbs must have really sold both of them the vision

and im really happy he looked outside of the NFL circle to bring them on board
and it's totally outside of his comfort zone or atleast seemed to be.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

you've got your guy three straight years, just last year you had to wait three rounds.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
idk about need - the real need at that point in time would have been tackle - and there was one that a lot of us loved who was available at that spot in teven jenkins...

from the way hortiz and EDC have talked about the board it sounds like they had Oweh and Rousseau and Bateman all similarly ranked but knew that Bateman wouldn't make it to 31 but thought one of rousseau and oweh might...

oweh didnt really feel like a reach in the true sense of the word - just seemed like a non-ravens pick based on their history of drafting EDGE - payton turner or carlos basham feel like they fit the ravens EDGE profile a lot better

I think there’s many variables to why we picked Oweh over (Fan favorite) Jenkins.

The loss of Judon and Yannick and having no real pass rushers on the roster would make EDGE a need. If not the top need, it was definitely #2.

Combo that with our past success of being able to find late round gems at the Oline position and Lamar’s elusiveness, I can see why they would pick Oweh over Jenkins, even if a lot of us see Jenkins as the better prospect.

Think we just got to get used to this new Ravens drafting philosophy under EDC.

He tends lean towards big schools / Power-5 players and/or prospects with really high SPARQ scores. He’s less about their past-productions than Ozzie

I think there’s many variables to why we picked Oweh over (Fan favorite) Jenkins.

The loss of Judon and Yannick and having no real pass rushers on the roster would make EDGE a need. If not the top need, it was definitely #2.

Combo that with our past success of being able to find late round gems at the Oline position and Lamar’s elusiveness, I can see why they would pick Oweh over Jenkins, even if a lot of us see Jenkins as the better prospect.

He tends lean towards big schools / Power-5 players and/or prospects with really high SPARQ scores. He’s less about their past-productions than Ozzie
See you guys December 19th.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Wait so dubbs been coaching Hollywood on the low since 2016?

So it seems

it makes so much sense in hindsight though - the way he releases at the line, some of his footwork is so familiar and similar to Tyreek, sammy, davante etc. Using similar types of technique vs certain looks

and then of course it’s possible that it’s one of the reasons harbs even approached him in the first place

it does almost make me wanna go back to some of Hollywood’s old offseason stuff to see if I can see Dubb or some of his drills there

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I think this year we definitely emphasized the big schools due to covid. There was just less information this season and it was the safest pick to stay with these schools.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

But we also find EDGE late as well as OL

and with EDC and power 5 schools I think it’s worth pointing out (and he’s acknowledged it too in pressers) that that’s partly related to the last 2 drafts being massively impacted by the pandemic which severely limits the info available so picking from well established programs somewhat mitigates the risk for various reasons (better contacts, better film, better data, better competition etc)

and I’ve got no issues with them taking oweh over Jenkins (was more just using him as an example) - he was higher on my board than oweh but oweh’s an actual freak

If I were to say there was one clear commonality in EDC’s picks across 3 drafts so far it’s that he puts a very high value on athleticism and the testing/gps data

JAAM

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2 who is your comp for Oweh? I see a lot of Danielle in him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@rossihunter2 who is your comp for Oweh? I see a lot of Danielle in him

i dont really have one (because i dont love comps) but analytically, physically and athletically danielle makes a lot of sense

oweh's a better athlete but he's comparable athletically as a prospect 6 years later...

play-style-wise though i think/hope he'll be somewhat like a faster chandler jones... i think his ceiling is that kind of player but with elite speed added to the top

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i dont really have one (because i dont love comps) but analytically, physically and athletically danielle makes a lot of sense

oweh's a better athlete but he's comparable athletically as a prospect 6 years later...

play-style-wise though i think/hope he'll be somewhat like a faster chandler jones... i think his ceiling is that kind of player but with elite speed added to the top
I dnt ever observe rookie pass rushers cause its too hard to tell if their ability will translate for me but ill watch some highlights to see if something stands out...other than size and trash production with sacks, how are hunter and oweh comparable? cause imo i feel thats only reason why theyre even compared. I watched hunter in nfl and some highlights of oweh and them two do not at all look comparable.. not sure if oweh tackling is great or if he is as physical but i can see him being more similar to clowney than hunter.....