• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let’s go!

Love your new avatar btw, Dexters Laboratory was fantastic

thanks. It was a remake of the famous meme. Based.
124E731D-ED49-48A1-8CA5-F8084CC89689.jpeg

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The main issue with getting everyone vaccinated is that that will never happen. People aren't robots.
It really doesn't have to though. For starters, we're not talking about literally everyone, we're talking about one business, which is the NFL. I'd argue they have more incentive to get vaccinated than many people in the average population, considering their job requirements and interaction with other people.

That's why the NFL is pretty much decided that the 85% mark is what they're comfortable with. At that point, you're pretty much talking about 7-8 players per team that wouldn't be vaccinated, which puts the NFL in a far less risky proposition.

I haven't put much faith in the "concerns" from the media about player vaccinations, because I think when it's all said and done, every team is going to get there. The 85% threshold right now also applies to a 90 man roster. You need 77 vaccinated players in that scenario to meet the criteria. By the time final cuts are made, you're down to only needing 46 vaccinated players. With no real way for the public to know what the distribution looks like, its entirely possible that a lot of the "fringe" roster players are the one's not getting vaccinated, and they may end up being cut anyway, so it'll be a moot point by September.

What I suspect will happen (regardless of whether it's made public or not) is that teams will factor in vaccinated vs non-vaccinated players into their decisions for roster cuts. If I have two comparable players I'm deciding on whether to cut or keep, and one is vaccinated and one isn't, I'm certainly taking the vaccinated player without hesitation.

Will also be interesting to see what a team who is right on the fringe of that 85% threshold does. If you're literally one vaccinated player away from being able to have significantly improved competitive balance, they may even opt for a "lesser talented" player who is vaccinated.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
It really doesn't have to though. For starters, we're not talking about literally everyone, we're talking about one business, which is the NFL. I'd argue they have more incentive to get vaccinated than many people in the average population, considering their job requirements and interaction with other people.

That's why the NFL is pretty much decided that the 85% mark is what they're comfortable with. At that point, you're pretty much talking about 7-8 players per team that wouldn't be vaccinated, which puts the NFL in a far less risky proposition.

I haven't put much faith in the "concerns" from the media about player vaccinations, because I think when it's all said and done, every team is going to get there. The 85% threshold right now also applies to a 90 man roster. You need 77 vaccinated players in that scenario to meet the criteria. By the time final cuts are made, you're down to only needing 46 vaccinated players. With no real way for the public to know what the distribution looks like, its entirely possible that a lot of the "fringe" roster players are the one's not getting vaccinated, and they may end up being cut anyway, so it'll be a moot point by September.

What I suspect will happen (regardless of whether it's made public or not) is that teams will factor in vaccinated vs non-vaccinated players into their decisions for roster cuts. If I have two comparable players I'm deciding on whether to cut or keep, and one is vaccinated and one isn't, I'm certainly taking the vaccinated player without hesitation.

Will also be interesting to see what a team who is right on the fringe of that 85% threshold does. If you're literally one vaccinated player away from being able to have significantly improved competitive balance, they may even opt for a "lesser talented" player who is vaccinated.

Great points throughout. I would say that fringe players would actually be in a hurry to get the vaccine because of the fact that that may be the tiebreaker between two players.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think at this point, the ravens need to go all in on chandler Jones, here’s why:

Over the past 2 seasons the ravens have little by little chipped away at every hole on the roster that could hold a prime Lamar back from winning a ring. Since 2019 the ravens have made aggressive moves to secure an elite cb unit and the leagues best, they have drafted and signed multiple players to shore up the poor run defense from 2019, they’ve invested a ton into the wr corps and it should finally pay dividends in 2021, they’ve invested heavily into the OL as well, and theyve attempted to fix the pass rush as well and have failed miserably thus far. There is ONE group on the ravens that looks to be a proverbial brick wall that will keep this team from a super bowl, the edge rush. Do not go in with cheap half measures at a KEY position and open the door for a playoff loss against mahomes or Allen because we have 5 guys in coverage and 6 rushers not getting home.

it takes 2 to tango so I won’t be upset if we don’t get him, I understand it’s unlikely to begin with, but I’d be sorely disappointed if the ravens weren’t willing to make a VERY strong push along with the cap maneuvering needed to make this move, if we want our best shot at a ring this is the move, even if the following 2 seasons have us hamstrung a bit.

PLEASE don’t make this the year that Lamar and the offense really shows tf up in the playoffs because we have better coaches and wr talent, but lose anyway because our pass rush is in its 7th straight year of ineffectiveness.

on second thought… Justin Houston has had 2 years of quality football and Jones hasn’t, maybe he’s washed. Idk, I’m assuming someone as good as Jones isn’t washed already.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think at this point, the ravens need to go all in on chandler Jones, here’s why:

Over the past 2 seasons the ravens have little by little chipped away at every hole on the roster that could hold a prime Lamar back from winning a ring. Since 2019 the ravens have made aggressive moves to secure an elite cb unit and the leagues best, they have drafted and signed multiple players to shore up the poor run defense from 2019, they’ve invested a ton into the wr corps and it should finally pay dividends in 2021, they’ve invested heavily into the OL as well, and theyve attempted to fix the pass rush as well and have failed miserably thus far. There is ONE group on the ravens that looks to be a proverbial brick wall that will keep this team from a super bowl, the edge rush. Do not go in with cheap half measures at a KEY position and open the door for a playoff loss against mahomes or Allen because we have 5 guys in coverage and 6 rushers not getting home.

it takes 2 to tango so I won’t be upset if we don’t get him, I understand it’s unlikely to begin with, but I’d be sorely disappointed if the ravens weren’t willing to make a VERY strong push along with the cap maneuvering needed to make this move, if we want our best shot at a ring this is the move, even if the following 2 seasons have us hamstrung a bit.

PLEASE don’t make this the year that Lamar and the offense really shows tf up in the playoffs because we have better coaches and wr talent, but lose anyway because our pass rush is in its 7th straight year of ineffectiveness.

on second thought… Justin Houston has had 2 years of quality football and Jones hasn’t, maybe he’s washed. Idk, I’m assuming someone as good as Jones isn’t washed already.
Well, my usual caveat...

There's a zero percent chance they can afford him as is. He's owed a $15.5M base salary for this year, which would be straight to the cap for the Ravens. Probably 2-3x their price range.

An extension would have to come first, and I don't know if that's something that would be particularly interesting for a pass rusher who will be 32 next year, and would almost certainly come at a steep price tag (north of $15M per year).

IF this were to happen, and I don't think it will, it makes a lot more sense as a Peters/Yannick like trade that would happen in the mid-to-late October timeframe. You wait to see how the season progresses, and if Arizona isn't competing and they're looking to get rid of him, and the Ravens are a contender struggling for pass rush help, a mid-season trade makes the cap impact much more affordable. Half a season would cost around $7-8M, which the Ravens could do some restructures to make that work.

I would mostly assume that's a rental, like Yannick, with us unlikely to meet market value demands in FA in 2022.

Me personally, I'm not sold Arizona is going to trade him, mostly because a) a new contract extension would solve the problem and b) I think Arizona is looking to seriously compete this year, so trading away one of their better defensive players doesn't make much sense to me.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Well, my usual caveat...

There's a zero percent chance they can afford him as is. He's owed a $15.5M base salary for this year, which would be straight to the cap for the Ravens. Probably 2-3x their price range.

An extension would have to come first, and I don't know if that's something that would be particularly interesting for a pass rusher who will be 32 next year, and would almost certainly come at a steep price tag (north of $15M per year).

IF this were to happen, and I don't think it will, it makes a lot more sense as a Peters/Yannick like trade that would happen in the mid-to-late October timeframe. You wait to see how the season progresses, and if Arizona isn't competing and they're looking to get rid of him, and the Ravens are a contender struggling for pass rush help, a mid-season trade makes the cap impact much more affordable. Half a season would cost around $7-8M, which the Ravens could do some restructures to make that work.

I would mostly assume that's a rental, like Yannick, with us unlikely to meet market value demands in FA in 2022.

Me personally, I'm not sold Arizona is going to trade him, mostly because a) a new contract extension would solve the problem and b) I think Arizona is looking to seriously compete this year, so trading away one of their better defensive players doesn't make much sense to me.
Yes and as I said, this is more about hoping they ar least make a very serious push for him, and I understand that there are a lot of road blocks in it and won’t be disappointed in not getting him, just disappointed if we don’t actively try to work something out. Just kicking the tires on such a rare opportunity won’t be enough

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes and as I said, this is more about hoping they ar least make a very serious push for him, and I understand that there are a lot of road blocks in it and won’t be disappointed in not getting him, just disappointed if we don’t actively try to work something out. Just kicking the tires on such a rare opportunity won’t be enough
I think it's sufficient. If you can't get off the ground with his contract demands, it's a non-starter really. I doubt Jones wants to be traded just to play out the year on a one year deal and then hit FA next season. He can do that in Arizona.

Way too many players looking for extensions here at home for me to entertain a long term deal with him at this point.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Jeeze… better now than during the season though. Hopefully they all get it out of their system lol

I just hope JK isn’t overworked in camp because of this lol. We need them legs fresh!

JO_75

Hall of Famer
And so it begins..

I just hope the NFL can tell a difference between a real positive versus a false positive test. I'm assuming he hasn't gotten the vax yet but it would absolutley suck if a player misses a game or couple games over a false positive.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just hope the NFL can tell a difference between a real positive versus a false positive test. I'm assuming he hasn't gotten the vax yet but it would absolutley suck if a player misses a game or couple games over a false positive.

Didn't that happen to Dez last year like an hour before he was set to play against his old team, the Cowgirls? A false positive?