• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Mad is gonna be dominant one day. Surprised these lists always leave off Dobbins though. He’s my 1st round target this year for fantasy football
I think it’s because everyone and their mom knows Dobbins is going to ball lol. Like it’s a no brainer so it’s not going to grab views

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it’s because everyone and their mom knows Dobbins is going to ball lol. Like it’s a no brainer so it’s not going to grab views

Definitely. His ADP in FF is way low. In my book he’s a top 5 pick easy

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i think it undersells madubuike's performances down the stretch to say he's not equal to dobbins in terms of an emerging talent...

and it's one where PFF grades actually pointed out madubuike early (probably why they listed him not dobbins) - because he was grading out high in their metrics as a rookie on a game by game basis

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is where the NFL's COVID policy takes a hit.

not really... the vaccine means he's unlikely to face bad symptoms - 95% of all hospitalisations and deaths are from unvaccinated people

the vaccine reduces the efficacy and transmission of the virus - it's not 100% on completely preventing you from catching it...

so there's absolutely nothing here that affects the nfl's covid policy at all

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
not really... the vaccine means he's unlikely to face bad symptoms - 95% of all hospitalisations and deaths are from unvaccinated people

the vaccine reduces the efficacy and transmission of the virus - it's not 100% on completely preventing you from catching it...

not only that. He's much less likely to pass it onto others.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Definitely. His ADP in FF is way low. In my book he’s a top 5 pick easy
Top 5 overall pick? Yeah not close in my opinion...
1. He's still very much going to be in a timeshare with Edwards, which very much limits his fantasy appeal.
2. He's not shown much usage at all in the passing game. I expect that to increase, but I don't think it'll be anywhere close enough to warrant that level of draft position.

A top 5 draft pick is going to need Zeke Elliott usage. You're talking 250-300 touches. I don't see a RB in this offense getting close to that.

For context, in 2019, Ingram had over 1,200 total yards, 10 TDs and close to 230 touches. He was RB8, meaning he wasn't even a top 5 RB, let alone a top 5 overall pick. I don't see Dobbins getting 100 more touches in this offense, especially with Edwards and Lamar still running the ball AND the investment we made at receiver.

Most of the rankings I've seen have Dobbins between RB15-20. I think that's reasonable. I think you could make a case for him being up in the top 10-12, but top 5 is a big, big, big stretch for me. And I'd be happy to see people in my leagues taking him that high.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Top 5 overall pick? Yeah not close in my opinion...
1. He's still very much going to be in a timeshare with Edwards, which very much limits his fantasy appeal.
2. He's not shown much usage at all in the passing game. I expect that to increase, but I don't think it'll be anywhere close enough to warrant that level of draft position.

A top 5 draft pick is going to need Zeke Elliott usage. You're talking 250-300 touches. I don't see a RB in this offense getting close to that.

For context, in 2019, Ingram had over 1,200 total yards, 10 TDs and close to 230 touches. He was RB8, meaning he wasn't even a top 5 RB, let alone a top 5 overall pick. I don't see Dobbins getting 100 more touches in this offense, especially with Edwards and Lamar still running the ball AND the investment we made at receiver.

:smirk::smirk:;)

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

The way I see it, the hit he might be referring to (and one I agree with) is the incentive the NFL used to push for vaccinations.

Vaccinated players aren’t required to do daily testing, yet they can still get COVID-19. Wouldn’t this be considered harmful as less frequent testing will put other players at risk since they might catch it late? It’ll leave teams scrambling if they catch COVID-positive players last minute and not have time to prepare.

I guess what I’m trying to get at is either make taking the vaccine mandatory, or have the same rules applied to vaccinated as they are to unvaccinated. Don’t turn the vaccine into a ruse / incentive-based.
6322E3B6-7BE7-483E-A7ED-F79EA3C55A9E.jpeg

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The way I see it, the hit he might be referring to (and one I agree with) is the incentive the NFL used to push for vaccinations.

Vaccinated players aren’t required to do daily testing, yet they can still get COVID-19. Wouldn’t this be considered harmful as less frequent testing will put other players risk since they might catch it late? It’ll leave teams scrambling if they catch COVID-positive players last minute and not have time to prepare.

I guess what I’m trying to get at is either make taking the vaccine mandatory, or have the same rules applied to vaccinated as they are to unvaccinated. Don’t turn the vaccine into a ruse / incentive-based.
View attachment 2742

Much like the rest of the world, the Covid 19 protocols are hypocritical and rarely make sense. The unfortunate side effect of good science gone political.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Vaccinated players aren’t required to do daily testing, yet they can still get COVID-19. Wouldn’t this be considered harmful as less frequent testing will put other players risk since they might catch it late? It’ll leave teams scrambling if they catch COVID-positive players last minute and not have time to prepare.

View attachment 2742

i mean the reasons they dont have the same protocols is because there's no reason to

you're right though the testing protocols should be the same...

but everything else is based in the science that transmission, symptoms and likelihood of infection are much lower with the vaccine than without so the protocols for vaccinated players being much less stringent makes sense

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Vaccinated players aren’t required to do daily testing, yet they can still get COVID-19. Wouldn’t this be considered harmful as less frequent testing will put other players at risk since they might catch it late? It’ll leave teams scrambling if they catch COVID-positive players last minute and not have time to prepare.

View attachment 2742
But they should turn it into incentive based, because there's just a gigantic amount of lower risk if everybody got vaccinated.

They don't care if a vaccinated person catches COVID if everybody else is vaccinated, because then there's very low risk of serious transmission. Heck, even the CDC says vaccinated people who test positive don't need to quarantine.

A vaccinated person who has COVID is really only at risk to those who aren't vaccinated. So who is at risk in the organization, except for those who choose not to be vaccinated?

Theoretically, you could have 45 active players on gameday, all COVID positive, playing. If they're all vaccinated, there's really no reason for them not to be out there.

Realistically, they probably "can't", legally, make the vaccine mandatory. I'm sure some lawyer somewhere told them they'd be ripe for lawsuits if they tried to. So basically, without making it mandatory, they simply make it extremely uncomfortable for people to perform their tasks without getting it. Same thing is happening with coaches and organizational staff. They've got clearance/security tiers, and those who are unvaccinated have very restricted access and ability to perform many of their job functions. This is basically the same thing they're doing to players.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tomorrow is the first day of training camp (well, the first day they report back). Fun times ahead!

Anyone have tickets to one of the sessions? Anyone going to the free day?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean the reasons they dont have the same protocols is because there's no reason to

you're right though the testing protocols should be the same...

but everything else is based in the science that transmission, symptoms and likelihood of infection are much lower with the vaccine than without so the protocols for vaccinated players being much less stringent makes sense

Oh I agree with the PROS of vaccination and the reduced risks it provides. But if the risk is still there, it'll only hurt the team more (especially to the unvaccinated).

Hypothetical situation (im not sure when / what days vaccinated players are required to test)... Imagine doing a full week of practice with a vaccinated player who had COVID, but didn't get tested. Then a day before the game or gameday, that player goes get tested and it turned out he had it. That means hes been around people for days, unknowingly giving it to his teammates.

If they are making it a "choice" to get the vaccine or not, knowing the risk are still there (even if reduced), they need to keep the policies the same for both parties. That just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Last edited:

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh I agree with the PROS of vaccination and the reduced risks it provides. But if the risk is still there, it'll only hurt the team more (especially to the unvaccinated).

Hypothetical situation (im not sure when / what days vaccinated players are required to test)... Imagine doing a full week of practice with a vaccinated player who had COVID, but didn't get tested. Then a day before the game or gameday, that player goes get tested and it turned out he had it. That means hes been around people for days, unknowingly giving it to his teammates.

If they are making it a "choice" to get the vaccine or not, knowing the risk are still there (even if reduced), they need to keep the policies for same for both parties. That just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I will break my silence on this and say I agree with this. Without getting political, I also think a lot of this NFL policy is just for incentives to get the shots and not exactly about trying to be the safest around. And that’s all I’ll say

rossihunter2

Staff Member

If they are making it a "choice" to get the vaccine or not, knowing the risk are still there (even if reduced), they need to keep the policies the same for both parties. That just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

but i dont get why the policies about everything should be the same? there's different risk factors depending on which group you fall into (vaccinated or unvaccinated) - and those risks are not even close to similar

it makes sense that those who are unvaccinated would still have to partake in more precautions than those who are vaccinated because they are at higher risk of catching it, spreading it and having bad outcomes (in terms of symptoms etc.) than those who've been vaccinated

i will cede that it seems dumb not to also do daily testing on the vaccinated group just to mitigate risk... but it's unlikely they won't still be tested at least twice a week and that's really the only place where i would change the protocols for vaccinated playing personnel...

the NFL is allowed to incentivise getting vaccinated...