• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The way I see it, the hit he might be referring to (and one I agree with) is the incentive the NFL used to push for vaccinations.

Vaccinated players aren’t required to do daily testing, yet they can still get COVID-19. Wouldn’t this be considered harmful as less frequent testing will put other players at risk since they might catch it late? It’ll leave teams scrambling if they catch COVID-positive players last minute and not have time to prepare.

I guess what I’m trying to get at is either make taking the vaccine mandatory, or have the same rules applied to vaccinated as they are to unvaccinated. Don’t turn the vaccine into a ruse / incentive-based.
View attachment 2742

This is what I meant 100%.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh I agree with the PROS of vaccination and the reduced risks it provides. But if the risk is still there, it'll only hurt the team more (especially to the unvaccinated).

Hypothetical situation (im not sure when / what days vaccinated players are required to test)... Imagine doing a full week of practice with a vaccinated player who had COVID, but didn't get tested. Then a day before the game or gameday, that player goes get tested and it turned out he had it. That means hes been around people for days, unknowingly giving it to his teammates.

If they are making it a "choice" to get the vaccine or not, knowing the risk are still there (even if reduced), they need to keep the policies the same for both parties. That just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
Well, I don't think there's any argument to be made that ALL policies should be the same, because that's basically punishing vaccinated players for unvaccinated players choosing not to be (whatever their reason is). Unvaccinated players are essentially quarantined from other unvaccinated players throughout the season. Logically, doesn't mean vaccinated players should have the same "policies".

There's an argument to be made there's consistency for COVID testing needed, but I'd argue it's not.
The only need to test vaccinated players is to try to stop them from spreading it to unvaccinated players. A better way to prevent that would be for unvaccinated players to simply get vaccinated. If they were all vaccinated, there's no point in testing. Testing is purely being done to keep unvaccinated players "safe".

Again, in my opinion, if the NFL found a legal way to require vaccinations, they'd probably do so. Because the NFL doesn't legitimately care about whether their players get COVID or not (nor really should they), provide that the games go on and the competitive balance isn't impacted.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I will break my silence on this and say I agree with this. Without getting political, I also think a lot of this NFL policy is just for incentives to get the shots and not exactly about trying to be the safest around. And that’s all I’ll say
And it's a cover your ass exercise, sprinkled in with the fact that the teams are paying for all the costs associated with these protocols, and if everybody was vaccinated, they'd likely essentially have no need for a COVID protocol at all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well, I don't think there's any argument to be made that ALL policies should be the same, because that's basically punishing vaccinated players for unvaccinated players choosing not to be (whatever their reason is). Unvaccinated players are essentially quarantined from other unvaccinated players throughout the season. Logically, doesn't mean vaccinated players should have the same "policies".

There's an argument to be made there's consistency for COVID testing needed, but I'd argue it's not.
The only need to test vaccinated players is to try to stop them from spreading it to unvaccinated players. A better way to prevent that would be for unvaccinated players to simply get vaccinated. If they were all vaccinated, there's no point in testing. Testing is purely being done to keep unvaccinated players "safe".

Again, in my opinion, if the NFL found a legal way to require vaccinations, they'd probably do so. Because the NFL doesn't legitimately care about whether their players get COVID or not (nor really should they), provide that the games go on and the competitive balance isn't impacted.

also it's worth pointing out that the restrictions and vaccine incentives being put on the players are nothing compared to the blanket ban on unvaccinated tier 1 coaching staff - you literally are not allowed to be a tier 1 coaching staff member if you're not vaccinated... that means that if you want to have any face to face contact with the players you have to be vaccinated

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And it's a cover your ass exercise, sprinkled in with the fact that the teams are paying for all the costs associated with these protocols, and if everybody was vaccinated, they'd likely essentially have no need for a COVID protocol at all.

they've even allowed some leeway by saying that at 85% vaccinated (as opposed to 90%+ or even 100%) the clubs can operate very close to normally

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think more people would trust the vaccine if:
1) people put politics aside and came together to preach its effectiveness. Stop demonizing the “other”side.
2) Medical experts admit that our initial response was an overreaction. Something along the lines of “ yes we overreacted and to many morons got in front of the TV speaking BS, however the virus is still dangerous and should be taken seriously much like all our other required vaccines.
3) acknowledge that the large majority of deaths had underlying conditions. This virus is not infecting healthy people and killing them. It just isn’t
4) stop pretending like COVID will go away. It won’t , never , been around for a long time with many many strains. We need to normalize it much like a flu shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

The main issue with getting everyone vaccinated is that that will never happen. People aren't robots.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
2) Medical experts admit that our initial response was an overreaction. Something along the lines of “ yes we overreacted and to many morons got in front of the TV speaking BS, however the virus is still dangerous and should be taken seriously much like all our other required vaccines.
3) acknowledge that the large majority of deaths had underlying conditions. This virus is not infecting healthy people and killing them. It just isn’t

the problem is that these things are not true... or at the very least miss the point

you can say that the vast majority of deaths had underlying conditions - but it should be pointed out that many of these "underlying conditions" include things like asthma or obesity which are not fatal - and you're basically inferring by proxy that those people's deaths are acceptable

and it's a callous way to think about the elderly and those with managed conditions who would otherwise still be alive and are dead because of the failures of governments not to act fast enough or decisive enough

and it was always said by world leading epidemiologists at the beginning of the pandemic that if governments got their policies right it would look like they over-reacted - from where I'm sitting in the UK, where we supposedly didn't overreact, we've had one of the worst health outcomes in the world as well as one of the worst economic outcomes in the world from the virus - the idea that overreaction to a pandemic could in anyway be an issue is ridiculous - do you think they regret their "overreactions" in new zealand or other places where they were able to massively reduce bad outcomes and hospitalisations and deaths...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The main issue with getting everyone vaccinated is that that will never happen. People aren't robots.

you dont need everyone vaccinated to create herd immunity - 100% should be the aim but various models suggest that ~90% will do which means aiming for 100% or else you'll miss it because of those with medical or religious exemptions who can't have the vaccine and those with a natural vaccine hesitancy (either because of historical cultural reasons or because of more recent conspiracy theory based anti-vax concerns)

the difference between a whole roster being vaccinated and 5/53 people being unvaccinated is not really different at all but as soon as that number starts getting nearer to 10-12 people you start having an issue in terms of potential spread through the wider population of the roster

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
you dont need everyone vaccinated to create herd immunity - 100% should be the aim but various models suggest that ~90% will do which means aiming for 100% or else you'll miss it because of those with medical or religious exemptions who can't have the vaccine and those with a natural vaccine hesitancy (either because of historical cultural reasons or because of more recent conspiracy theory based anti-vax concerns)

the difference between a whole roster being vaccinated and 5/53 people being unvaccinated is not really different at all but as soon as that number starts getting nearer to 10-12 people you start having an issue in terms of potential spread through the wider population of the roster

Understood

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
the problem is that these things are not true... or at the very least miss the point

you can say that the vast majority of deaths had underlying conditions - but it should be pointed out that many of these "underlying conditions" include things like asthma or obesity which are not fatal - and you're basically inferring by proxy that those people's deaths are acceptable

and it's a callous way to think about the elderly and those with managed conditions who would otherwise still be alive and are dead because of the failures of governments not to act fast enough or decisive enough

and it was always said by world leading epidemiologists at the beginning of the pandemic that if governments got their policies right it would look like they over-reacted - from where I'm sitting in the UK, where we supposedly didn't overreact, we've had one of the worst health outcomes in the world as well as one of the worst economic outcomes in the world from the virus - the idea that overreaction to a pandemic could in anyway be an issue is ridiculous - do you think they regret their "overreactions" in new zealand or other places where they were able to massively reduce bad outcomes and hospitalisations and deaths...

I would have to disagree Ross. Obesity is quite fatal and directly correlates/ leads to heart disease( leading cause of death in the United States) as well as many other serious problems.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

They were killing people by putting them on ventilators and you don’t think they regret that? How many underprivileged kids didn’t attend school for a full year because online classes don’t work for the underprivileged further setting them back ?They screwed up and that’s ok. People were scared and doing their best we’re all human. To pretend we didn’t botch this whole situation or it wasnt highly motivated by politics is comical. Pride is at the bottom of all great mistakes

JAAM

Hall of Famer