• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Absolutely LOVING these drills they are doing. It'll be so easy for them when the season opens up. Also, you see the tennis ball drill? That teaches hand-eye coordination/improves it, even if only slightly. Even slight improvements in the NFL can be the difference between Pro Bowl and merely an above average to solid WR

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
2020 tape or 2019 tape?

Yeah, that makes the difference. Outside corner, he is not. Slot corner, he can be one of the best. For a 5th round pick, that is pretty damn good. Especially if that means finally having Humphrey where he is best at. Having a good slot corner makes not only one player, but basically one and a half. The half comes from Humphrey moving back to outside corner where he is best.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea I think McSorely is the guy if Lamar can’t go. Huntley definitely has a strong arm but his mechanics need a lot of work. Still his upside is greater than Trace. I think we know exactly what we’re getting in McSorely and his ceiling is much lower that Huntley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God I hate McSorely... He is so overrated by this fanbase lol. He can't complete a pass to save his life beyond 10-15 yards. People say he is athletic, well the only play where I saw him trying to run he got crushed and almost ended up with us in an emergency. Huntley is leaps and bounds the better player.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Absolutely LOVING these drills they are doing. It'll be so easy for them when the season opens up. Also, you see the tennis ball drill? That teaches hand-eye coordination/improves it, even if only slightly. Even slight improvements in the NFL can be the difference between Pro Bowl and merely an above average to solid WR
lardarius Webb did that tennis ball drill regularly and in his peak season he may have had the best ball skills in the league at corner.

Yeah, that makes the difference. Outside corner, he is not. Slot corner, he can be one of the best. For a 5th round pick, that is pretty damn good. Especially if that means finally having Humphrey where he is best at. Having a good slot corner makes not only one player, but basically one and a half. The half comes from Humphrey moving back to outside corner where he is best.
the interesting part of wade as a nickel for us is that he is skilled at getting in the backfield, whether it’s a blitz or he sniffs out a screen or hes trying to set an edge against a wr on a wide run. I’m not gonna call wade a starter or anything, because I’m not fully sold even on his 2019 tape, but if we can get 2019 Shaun wade early on, then that’s a good fifth round pick, the development is where the excitement is.

Simba

Staff Member
God I hate McSorely... He is so overrated by this fanbase lol. He can't complete a pass to save his life beyond 10-15 yards. People say he is athletic, well the only play where I saw him trying to run he got crushed and almost ended up with us in an emergency. Huntley is leaps and bounds the better player.

I don’t think anyone overrates him. He is what he is and i don’t think anyone thinks he’s anything special other than the tiktok kids. He’s just more steady. Huntley is absolutely more talented from a athleticism standpoint but he’s very inconsistent mechanically. That’s why he went undrafted in the first place. In all reality, no one will care about either of these guys 4 years from now.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Agreed entirely, I’ve seen literally nothing from mcsorley to suggest he’s anything more than a scout team qb for when you’re facing a mobile qb

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed entirely, I’ve seen literally nothing from mcsorley to suggest he’s anything more than a scout team qb for when you’re facing a mobile qb

You have the factor of local-ish college player though from Penn State, and you know how Harbaugh is a lover of loyalty/feel good stories

JO_75

Hall of Famer
When Lamar had his MVP season and led the league in passing touchdowns with 35... it's amazing he did that with the group of receivers he had but also we averaged 201.6 passing yards a game, per ESPN Stats. That ranked 27th of 32 teams in 2019, the 49ers that same season was 13th with only 237 yards passing per game average and made the Super Bowl. I feel like if the additions to our receiving core like Watkins and Bateman can step up along with Hollywood, Andrews, match that with our run game and Lamar's ability to run, I don't see why we can't make a Super Bowl run this year.

Simba

Staff Member
When Lamar had his MVP season and led the league in passing touchdowns with 35... it's amazing he did that with the group of receivers he had but also we averaged 201.6 passing yards a game, per ESPN Stats. That ranked 27th of 32 teams in 2019, the 49ers that same season was 13th with only 237 yards passing per game average and made the Super Bowl. I feel like if the additions to our receiving core like Watkins and Bateman can step up along with Hollywood, Andrews, match that with our run game and Lamar's ability to run, I don't see why we can't make a Super Bowl run this year.

It's the OL that needs to improve mostly. In his MVP season, Lamar had all of the time in the world back there to pick teams apart no matter who was catching the ball. Last year was the opposite. The improvement at WR will certainly help, but it'll only help so much if the OL is shit again.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
the interesting part of wade as a nickel for us is that he is skilled at getting in the backfield, whether it’s a blitz or he sniffs out a screen or hes trying to set an edge against a wr on a wide run. I’m not gonna call wade a starter or anything, because I’m not fully sold even on his 2019 tape, but if we can get 2019 Shaun wade early on, then that’s a good fifth round pick, the development is where the excitement is.

Looks like Wade is getting at least a little praise right now:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ken weinman from 105.7, who’s opinion I don’t entirely value but… like he’s not the worst, singled out daelin hayes and Oweh as being very active and disruptive and involved in a lot of plays.

everyone I’ve heard speak about camp who has been present there, has raved about Hollywood and Watkins performances.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
There always seems to be some kind of last minute let-down or happenstance with the home teams in recent years that leads one to just shake one's head. I was so looking forward to hearing about Lamar hitting his targets, the accuracy of his throws, the hands and athleticism of our new guys, and how the passing unit seems to have grown. I know COVID can happen to anybody, but for f@cks sake... I know you guys have been over this, but Lamar need to smarten up. Probably won't be too bad for him health-wise since he's had it once before, but I hope that doesn't set the tone for the season. I hate waiting for the other shoe to drop - or at least feeling that way with this team - or Lamar.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Huntley is an interesting case and the battle vs. McSorley should be fun. I think McSorley is going to give you more steady play. He's more mechanically sound and more accurate, but doesn't have the same arm strength or athletic ability. Huntley has the potential to wow you at times but doesn't have consistency and is still a bit of a mess mechanically. McSorley would be my backup as of now but I'd be surprised if we don't just keep all 3. Huntley is a fun project.

However, if we lose either of those guys, I don't think we're missing out on anything. Will probably forget they were Ravens players in 5 years as they cycle around the league.

ultimately when thinking about backups im thinking about 1) who can fit into the pre-existing system and 2) who can not fall apart so that we win the game

i think huntley's ability as a runner in both scenarios massively helps us as a backup

it's highly likely we remember neither in 5 years time but i think huntley has already shown that he's more likely to be a guy who comes in and potentially finishes a game whereas mcsorely is the guy who might not lose one for us but definitely wont win/finish one for us...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Not sure I see Wade getting cut, but if there is a year we’d cut a 5th rounder, this would be it. People can say what they want about the Ravens not cutting draft picks but the Mason selection was a clear indication that they did not see much they liked in this draft class. And then they followed it up with the smallest UDFA class I can remember. They can say publicly that they liked the players but their actions suggest otherwise and those last picks in this draft shouldn’t feel safe.

especially given his position - crowded position group, tons of question marks - wade will need to earn his way onto the roster rather than hold onto an earmarked spot for himself

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it's funny watching this - we think of bateman as being a pretty pro-ready route runner as a college player but watching him run these drills vs hollywood and andrews who are pros is so stark - bateman's a great college route runner and yet he looks very unexceptional when compared to hollywood and andrews running these drills

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ken weinman from 105.7, who’s opinion I don’t entirely value but… like he’s not the worst, singled out daelin hayes and Oweh as being very active and disruptive and involved in a lot of plays.

everyone I’ve heard speak about camp who has been present there, has raved about Hollywood and Watkins performances.

i get it... but also we're not in pads yet... not gonna really read/buy into anything about RB/LB/OL/DL play right now

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

Im not surprised by hollywood.. we see him put in work every single offseason..