• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Caldwell did interview twice but apparently the second one was with Caserio (he had met with Easterby previously). Both Culley and Frazier have met with Caserio twice. So take that for whatever that's worth.

I wouldn't mind losing Culley in all honesty. Picks help but I'd also just be open to getting a different mind in those offensive decision making meetings.

We really don't know how involved Culley was in The Ravens passing game but The Ravens do have internal options to replace Culley as their wide receiver coach. I think current assistant special team coach T.J Weist could be the guy and James Urban may be promoted to passing game coordinator.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Really happy for David Culley. He's been wanting to be head coach for years and has had success as a receiver coach in the past. I'm more happy for him to get his dream opportunity than The Ravens getting a comp pick out of this. I hope he is successful as The Texans head coach and usually coaches that get promoted from John Harbaugh coaching staff usually help their team make it to the playoffs from Rex Ryan to Chuck Pagano. Culley is like 65 years and is a African American. I hope this opens more doors for African American coaches and keep them inspired. Wow I know Culley got to be on cloud 9 right now because he has been waiting so long for this opportunity.

I don’t mean any offense here but I’m a bit shocked the Texans hired Culley. I’m sure he’s a swell guy but I didn’t expect him to become the next head coach of the Texans. It’s almost amazing how we manage to get these comp picks. It’s like we’ve literally cracked the code here.

If you want a late night laugh go check out the Texans forum
https://www.texanstalk.com/threads/welcome-to-houston-david-culley-head-coach.115585/

Had sympathy for these guys until one of them jumped in with a dumbass "RB at QB" comment about the Ravens. So now, fuck 'em.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Really happy for David Culley. He's been wanting to be head coach for years and has had success as a receiver coach in the past. I'm more happy for him to get his dream opportunity than The Ravens getting a comp pick out of this. I hope he is successful as The Texans head coach and usually coaches that get promoted from John Harbaugh coaching staff usually help their team make it to the playoffs from Rex Ryan to Chuck Pagano. Culley is like 65 years and is a African American. I hope this opens more doors for African American coaches and keep them inspired. Wow I know Culley got to be on cloud 9 right now because he has been waiting so long for this opportunity.

Culley seems like a great dude so definitely happy for him and hope he can get the Texans back on the right track (especially if they can make life difficult for the trashy Titans).

As for us, aside from the bonus of 2 extra comp picks, we get to move on with someone new as our WR coach that can inject some fresh ideas into the room and hopefully get our passing game going. It's a win-win for both Culley and the Ravens.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

ok so he was clearly in the mix for LB coach - would be sad to see him go but really happy for him that his coaching career is starting so swiftly and seemingly progressing well

and if he doesnt get that job i hope we give him a little bit of a title boost - maybe assistant LB coach or something like that

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

ok so he was clearly in the mix for LB coach - would be sad to see him go but really happy for him that his coaching career is starting so swiftly and seemingly progressing well

and if he doesnt get that job i hope we give him a little bit of a title boost - maybe assistant LB coach or something like that

I guess for me a little puzzling that we didn't just give Orr the job over Ryan. Like Ryan's got a pedigree on him, but he's been circling the drains of the league for a long time now. Would think you'd want to get a younger guy in there to really grow with the group.

I guess for me a little puzzling that we didn't just give Orr the job over Ryan. Like Ryan's got a pedigree on him, but he's been circling the drains of the league for a long time now. Would think you'd want to get a younger guy in there to really grow with the group.

Agree with this. I am always super skeptical of hiring name brand guys who haven't done anything of note for a while.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
especially given we might get a 3/4 back from yannick walking anyway (just in 2022)

this 3rd round comp is a massive unexpected bonus to the offseason
I'd re-sign Bowser for cheap and let Judon and Yannick walk. Unless he's willing to sign a one year deal.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i like the Ryan hire a lot - he's a great fit philosophically with what Wink does and he's a great teacher - i think he was "circling the drains" because he was looking for DC jobs and that's not really what he's gonna be in his career - 2019 washington ilb job was the first time he took a positional coach job since the 03 patriots - think it just took him some time to realise that this is what his career path is now in the NFL...

i think with regards to not hiring Orr - the organisation clearly loves him but he's not even been a proper positional coach assistant yet so idk if they felt comfortable handing the reins of the position to him (albeit we definitely could have hired him and had Wink lead the room early in the year until he settled into the role)

my guess is that given the youth we have at the position, they felt it was important to have a good teacher in there and Ryan fits that mould + he and Wink have such similar philosophies on defence regarding blitz designs and deception at the LoS that he's a great scheme fit in that room too given how much the LBs play a key role in that deception and blitzing

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd re-sign Bowser for cheap and let Judon and Yannick walk. Unless he's willing to sign a one year deal.

Of the three, I definitely want to keep Bowser, however, I don't think we should let both Judon and Yannick walk when we don't have any solid backups for either (Ferguson is likely a bust at this point if we're being realistic). I'd probably lean towards keeping Yannick just because he has more pass rush potential, but Judon has done a lot for the defense overall so it's a tough call. We better have a good replacement plan if we're gonna let both of them walk.