• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I don’t understand the rationale of NOT wanting him here. Yea, sure, he will want a lot of money, but EDC and company are masters of maneuvering around the cap. Like come on. Enough with the bandaid bullshit and give Lamar someone to grow with. I swear to god if we go into the season with a no name vet, we’re totally fucking Lamar’s career and he deserves to play elsewhere.

This is a great video on the situation with our boy Simms

I truly, truly believe that the lack of the preseason hurt Duv and Proche. I really need to see these guys develop. I think Snead's gone tbh. Same for Dez as it was fun to throw up the X a couple of times but still.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well there IS this....

I also look to the $10.5M in base salary that he wouldn't get paid to play for them this year, and then next year, its $35M.

I understand the fines for training camp and preseason aren't cheap, but somebody with the contract his size probably wouldn't care. Its the actual money that's the problem.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I truly, truly believe that the lack of the preseason hurt Duv and Proche. I really need to see these guys develop. I think Snead's gone tbh. Same for Dez as it was fun to throw up the X a couple of times but still.
I actually really like Duv. I think he’d be a great 4 until he develops more. Boykin needs to go as well

We should build on a group consisting of Hollywood, Duv and Proche. Sign Allen Robinson and someone cheap like Curtis Samuel, Dede Westbrook or Rashard Higgins

Last edited:

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

If Duv can refine his route running then I think he would be the perfect replacement for Snead in the slot. He's got that quick acceleration, great hands, and his YAC ability is through the roof.

Simba

Staff Member
If Duv can refine his route running then I think he would be the perfect replacement for Snead in the slot. He's got that quick acceleration, great hands, and his YAC ability is through the roof.

I think Duvernay will be fine if we can get some more talent in that group. He's a guy where you kind of have to manufacture touches right now, and it was hard to do that when you could lock up everyone else sans Hollywood in 1 on 1 coverage. Add some more threats and variance and Duvernay could really have an opportunity to shine while he continues to develop some of the positional intricacies.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I also look to the $10.5M in base salary that he wouldn't get paid to play for them this year, and then next year, its $35M.

I understand the fines for training camp and preseason aren't cheap, but somebody with the contract his size probably wouldn't care. Its the actual money that's the problem.

The thing is, and the reason Watson has even more leverage, is that just because he has to show up does not imply he has to work hard and if your QB is the laziest person in the building you might as well give up any culture changes you are trying to do.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know he didn't have a great year but I also know we've long admired Alex Mack. Matt Birk also didn't have a great year when we brought him in but he paid off huge for us as that smart vet presence. That's the only type of move I could see us making at iOL.

he's 35 is the only thing - he'd be a steadying influence but I'm not sure if he's actually drastically better than the young guys on the roster at this point in his career - if we did it i'd hope he was coming cheep because i dont like the idea of giving a decent contract to a potentially declining 35 yr old C

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing is, and the reason Watson has even more leverage, is that just because he has to show up does not imply he has to work hard and if your QB is the laziest person in the building you might as well give up any culture changes you are trying to do.
True. The downside is... what message does that say to every other GM, coach, etc. in the league? I don't get my way, so I half-ass my way through my contract? How does the next team know he won't do it again?

That's a self-sabotage platform. It's unlikely to work.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

its unlikely to get that far - if a deal's gonna happen it's gonna happen before the draft so the texans can start replacing him and rebuilding with the picks they'd get back

it's in their interest to get it done before the draft because after the draft makes little sense for them

and not that deshaun would ever not draw interest but this is the point in time when more of the league is interested than at any other point - because there's other guys who'll be available - and post-draft there'll be teams that will have drafted a future guy they like and won't be in the deshaun watson sweepstakes anymore

so those penalties are interesting but ultimately meaningless because deal's gonna be done before he potentially misses any time that would cause any financial penalties

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don’t think he’s gonna be able to do much in that regard, like he could get super savvy and crafty and all, but he does lack a certain amount of flexibility and it can make his change of direction a little clunky.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think Duvernay will be fine if we can get some more talent in that group. He's a guy where you kind of have to manufacture touches right now, and it was hard to do that when you could lock up everyone else sans Hollywood in 1 on 1 coverage. Add some more threats and variance and Duvernay could really have an opportunity to shine while he continues to develop some of the positional intricacies.

he was always going to be this early in his career - he's a complementary gadget weapon right now with some upside if he can develop some route-running - but he's so raw as a route-runner and had no offseason to develop it at all

right now he's going to be active because of the returner and gunner abilities which will allow him to continue to get touches and be part of the offensive gameplan - it's going to have to continue to be manufactured touches for the foreseeable

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True. The downside is... what message does that say to every other GM, coach, etc. in the league? I don't get my way, so I half-ass my way through my contract? How does the next team know he won't do it again?

That's a self-sabotage platform. It's unlikely to work.

or it doesnt do anything because everyone knows what a mess the texans are at the top and its well publicised that it's more than just Deshaun not getting his way

when Andre Johnson talks about anything (let alone talks out against the Texans) you know something's seriously wrong - unlikely any team would hold that against him

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
its unlikely to get that far - if a deal's gonna happen it's gonna happen before the draft so the texans can start replacing him and rebuilding with the picks they'd get back

it's in their interest to get it done before the draft because after the draft makes little sense for them

and not that deshaun would ever not draw interest but this is the point in time when more of the league is interested than at any other point - because there's other guys who'll be available - and post-draft there'll be teams that will have drafted a future guy they like and won't be in the deshaun watson sweepstakes anymore

so those penalties are interesting but ultimately meaningless because deal's gonna be done before he potentially misses any time that would cause any financial penalties
Right. This is purely hypothetical. Everybody knows he'll get traded unless they somehow reconcile.

We're mostly just going down the path of what I would love to see a team do, which is "you play for us, or you play for nobody". The Redskins kind of did it with Trent Williams, though that was a bit different circumstances, and he's obviously nowhere near the value of Watson.

Simba

Staff Member
he's 35 is the only thing - he'd be a steadying influence but I'm not sure if he's actually drastically better than the young guys on the roster at this point in his career - if we did it i'd hope he was coming cheep because i dont like the idea of giving a decent contract to a potentially declining 35 yr old C

I don’t disagree with that and I don’t particularly want him myself, but I could totally see that being a Ravens move

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
or it doesnt do anything because everyone knows what a mess the texans are at the top and its well publicised that it's more than just Deshaun not getting his way

when Andre Johnson talks about anything (let alone talks out against the Texans) you know something's seriously wrong - unlikely any team would hold that against him
I'd hold it against him. All you're really doing is justifying being a crap employee because your boss is crap. One of you should be the bigger man.

No pro athlete is going to intentionally suck to get out of town and come out ahead in the deal.

Like we can talk all day long about how bad the organization is, mismanaged, etc. They're far from the only team in the league who qualifies as such. And guess what? Players still put pen to paper to sign there. Existing players will sign extensions there. Free agents will voluntarily agree to play for them. We've seen this literally hundreds of times before. This time really isn't any different.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right. This is purely hypothetical. Everybody knows he'll get traded unless they somehow reconcile.

We're mostly just going down the path of what I would love to see a team do, which is "you play for us, or you play for nobody". The Redskins kind of did it with Trent Williams, though that was a bit different circumstances, and he's obviously nowhere near the value of Watson.

isnt that kind of what the steelers did with Lev Bell...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t disagree with that and I don’t particularly want him myself, but I could totally see that being a Ravens move

fair enough - matt birk was slightly younger when we signed him but you're right it's not unlike the ravens to make that sort of a move

i think in the past though we havent had the same consistent interior depth where in the past the guys we bring in at C (see Birk but also Zuttah) were not only taking starting jobs but starting jobs from guys who weren't even backup level

it's tougher now because of the depth of guys at a good replacement level

but you're right if the ravens are sure Mack's an upgrade it's a possibility

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Lamar never existed and we still had Flacco and if we’d make a blockbuster trade for Deshaun