• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Before or after Culley got hired? He supposedly built a strong rapport with Culley at last year's Pro Bowl.
I've seen that being reported but I just can't see it being a factor. Like "Hey Deshaun, I know you're deeply unhappy with the way the organisation is being run and we've squandered every resource and talent we had, but look! Here's a guy you got on well with for one weekend last year!"

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'd re-sign Bowser for cheap and let Judon and Yannick walk. Unless he's willing to sign a one year deal.

im sort of with you - but im just getting into the EDGE class and im not in love with the talent so far (then again im not far in so who knows how ill feel about it when i get deeper)

i just dont like the idea of heading into the draft with EDGE as a major need - but i guess maybe the idea is that yannick and judon walk in free agency for big deals and we pick up some cap casualties from the teams who're in major cap trouble and basically stream the position with these under-priced middle-class EDGE free agents (who wouldnt in this hypothetical scenario count against the comp pick formula)

i think schematically we have to keep at least 1 of bowser and judon and bowser's clearly going to be cheaper

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
im sort of with you - but im just getting into the EDGE class and im not in love with the talent so far (then again im not far in so who knows how ill feel about it when i get deeper)

i just dont like the idea of heading into the draft with EDGE as a major need - but i guess maybe the idea is that yannick and judon walk in free agency for big deals and we pick up some cap casualties from the teams who're in major cap trouble and basically stream the position with these under-priced middle-class EDGE free agents (who wouldnt in this hypothetical scenario count against the comp pick formula)

i think schematically we have to keep at least 1 of bowser and judon and bowser's clearly going to be cheaper
If we do let both walk, i hope we go after iol in free agency

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Texans talked to Watson before they hired Culley. Watson didn't change his mind and requested a trade.
While it won't happen, I would absolutely LOVE to see an organization just draw a line in the sand and be like "no, we're not trading you". I think the player would cave much quicker than people think.

Reactions: cdp

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Of the three, I definitely want to keep Bowser, however, I don't think we should let both Judon and Yannick walk when we don't have any solid backups for either (Ferguson is likely a bust at this point if we're being realistic). I'd probably lean towards keeping Yannick just because he has more pass rush potential, but Judon has done a lot for the defense overall so it's a tough call. We better have a good replacement plan if we're gonna let both of them walk.
My decision is cap space driven. We just don't have it. You definitely want to frontload judon contract. Yannick is young enough so he might be willing to sign a one year deal.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im guessing after

https://www.nfl.com/news/texans-qb-deshaun-watson-has-requested-to-be-traded

"The trade request transpired a few weeks ago and teams have already been calling the Texans in attempts to acquire Watson, per Rapoport and NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. Houston, though, has said privately it's not trading its star, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported."

I bet they're hoping that Culley can convince him to stay so they don't have to trade him. Should definitely be interesting to see what happens.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If we do let both walk, i hope we go after iol in free agency

just not sure who the free agency IOL is that comes and improves this OL in a meaningful way - im not interested in any of the Centers on the market and the IOL group isnt particularly deep - even in a depressed free agency market Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney are going to get paid a ton more than we will want to pay...

and on top of that the IOL draft class looks really good at the top

Simba

Staff Member
It'll be really interesting to see how they approach FA this year.

We're adding a vet WR. I don't think it'll be a top tier guy but could be a Kendrick Bourne type.

We need something at OLB. I think we have to retain at least 2 of our guys, and if those are the lower tier types (Bowser, McPhee, Ward), then you also have to add a guy in FA. Probably the perfect year to add a vet who still has a little juice and then try again in 2021 if the draft doesn't work out.

I'd even add a cheap swing T if the opportunity is there.

Otherwise, where are we really spending? Interior OL needs some help but I fully expect that to be via the draft. Maybe they add some cheap S depth, but would also think you can do that via the draft. You really have 3 core spots that you need to hit hard (WR, OLB, OL) and I think 1 (OL) is clearly going to happen via the draft.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It'll be really interesting to see how they approach FA this year.

We're adding a vet WR. I don't think it'll be a top tier guy but could be a Kendrick Bourne type.

We need something at OLB. I think we have to retain at least 2 of our guys, and if those are the lower tier types (Bowser, McPhee, Ward), then you also have to add a guy in FA. Probably the perfect year to add a vet who still has a little juice and then try again in 2021 if the draft doesn't work out.

I'd even add a cheap swing T if the opportunity is there.

Otherwise, where are we really spending? Interior OL needs some help but I fully expect that to be via the draft. Maybe they add some cheap S depth, but would also think you can do that via the draft. You really have 3 core spots that you need to hit hard (WR, OLB, OL) and I think 1 (OL) is clearly going to happen via the draft.

We have to be frugal and smart in free agency - i think you're right that it'll be a cheaper vet WR and I think we go the same route with EDGE too - of the big 3 i think we keep 1 (although i'd like to keep 2) but we have to fill out the position with cheaper depreciated guys

need to do enough so that entering the draft our hand isn't forced and we can just take good players - hopefully a WR and/or IOL but not beholden to that

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Had sympathy for these guys until one of them jumped in with a [profanity deleted] "RB at QB" comment about the Ravens. So now, fuck 'em.

Lol - 'fuck' is fine for the profanity filter but 'd u m b a s s' is a step too far apparently.
I know right lol!? The profanity filter needs to go tbh. It serves no purposes nowadays. As for the RB comment from them, they say that to discredit his accomplishment, but fail to mention that our "RB" has outplayed their QB in BOTH meetings.

Simba

Staff Member
We have to be frugal and smart in free agency - i think you're right that it'll be a cheaper vet WR and I think we go the same route with EDGE too - of the big 3 i think we keep 1 (although i'd like to keep 2) but we have to fill out the position with cheaper depreciated guys

need to do enough so that entering the draft our hand isn't forced and we can just take good players - hopefully a WR and/or IOL but not beholden to that

I mean, when you break down the roster, we don't have THAT many needs.

QB - good
RB - good
WR - preferably a FA and a draft pick
TE - TE3, could be a late round pick or cheap FA pickup
OL - interior OL with early pick, swing T via cheap FA or late round pick
DL - if you re-sign Wolfe, don't really need to do anything this year but need youth soon
ILB - good
OLB - FAs and draft
CB - maybe a late round slot guy
S - maybe a late round depth pick
ST - good

So again, 3 big needs (WR, iOL, OLB) and then some cheap/late round depth additions (TE, OT, CB, S). Nothing that we shouldn't be able to handle even with a tight cap situation. Might not be the big flashy names in FA but you should be able to get some decent options at OLB and WR in particular.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Please lord. Lamar would absolutely love Robinson. I don’t care about the money. Make it work.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I don’t understand the rationale of NOT wanting him here. Yea, sure, he will want a lot of money, but EDC and company are masters of maneuvering around the cap. Like come on. Enough with the bandaid bullshit and give Lamar someone to grow with. I swear to god if we go into the season with a no name vet, we’re totally fucking Lamar’s career and he deserves to play elsewhere.

This is a great video on the situation with our boy Simms

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean, when you break down the roster, we don't have THAT many needs.

QB - good
RB - good
WR - preferably a FA and a draft pick
TE - TE3, could be a late round pick or cheap FA pickup
OL - interior OL with early pick, swing T via cheap FA or late round pick
DL - if you re-sign Wolfe, don't really need to do anything this year but need youth soon
ILB - good
OLB - FAs and draft
CB - maybe a late round slot guy
S - maybe a late round depth pick
ST - good

So again, 3 big needs (WR, iOL, OLB) and then some cheap/late round depth additions (TE, OT, CB, S). Nothing that we shouldn't be able to handle even with a tight cap situation. Might not be the big flashy names in FA but you should be able to get some decent options at OLB and WR in particular.

i think it's all about those 3 needs yeah - i don't need a great starter at all those positions from free agency but id like to see us at least get an average/replacement level player at the WR and OLB spots to fill out that position in case we dont add a talent (or 2) during the draft

OL i dont really care about adding an average player (unless it's a tackle) - we've got tons of those guys right now who're super cheep

Simba

Staff Member
i think it's all about those 3 needs yeah - i don't need a great starter at all those positions from free agency but id like to see us at least get an average/replacement level player at the WR and OLB spots to fill out that position in case we dont add a talent (or 2) during the draft

OL i dont really care about adding an average player (unless it's a tackle) - we've got tons of those guys right now who're super cheep

Agreed on OL. I don't expect us to be in on a guy like Thuney, so no reason to sign anyone in that case. We have capable players there now. Now we need good players, and we're not going to pay for them. We need to draft them.

Simba

Staff Member
even if we wanted to pay for them im not sure there's really anyone worth it...

I know he didn't have a great year but I also know we've long admired Alex Mack. Matt Birk also didn't have a great year when we brought him in but he paid off huge for us as that smart vet presence. That's the only type of move I could see us making at iOL.