• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was looking at a guy like Andrew Wingard in JAX if they were to make the trade, for whatever that's worth. Not a pure starter but he's definitely played a combo of D and ST there and could be a good sweetener that I don't think they'd balk at.
I wanted that mf late in the draft, dude was slept on hard

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t wanna rehash an old vet at safety again. I’ll take it on the OL or even with a WR but idk I just think it’s the wrong route for us to get older or slower in the secondary by choice

That’s a thought for sure, harbaugh LOVES him a dimebacker/SS/ST ace. I’d go as far to say i think Anthony Levine might be harbaughs favorite raven ever lol

i mean im not talking about as a starter, im talking about as depth this year who can potentially come in and play in dime when required (depending on personnel)

not as a long-term starter or anything

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Howcome you all are okay with chark and elliot? I really think theyre below level saftiesp
I think you’re too harsh on them, they’re well above the mean in today’s nfl for safeties, it’s a position with a REALLY low overall talent level across the league, and most of the bigger names there are either hybrid robber types or straight up strong safeties. Both of our safeties would be studs in traditional strong roles, but they’re asked to fulfill all the duties and they also play a risky coverage scheme which is what their coach asks of them, it is what it is, they’re left exposed and yeah chuck sometimes lacks the range and Elliott is a little too trigger happy, and it’s literally just the single high and against double moves in 2 deep where they struggle.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i guess also but - like what's the point of paying a ton of money for a safety? guys like kenny vaccaro are getting paid more money than chuck - the top guys in the league are getting paid nearly 3 times as much as chuck - it just feels like it's the running back of the defence in terms of value (albeit you aren't expecting your safeties to fall of a cliff) - there seems to be very little point paying a ton of money for a safety when you could pay a corner instead

especially as we haven't really been struggling recently to find decent safety play either through late draft picks or through veteran signings

paying earl thomas nearly 14m/yr seems like a massive waste even if it had worked out - we're paying marcus peters 14m/yr....
Uh we’re saying the same thing here. I don’t have any interest in throwing down top dollar on any safety. I expect us to just sign a guy in FA for ST with some upside at S to replace what we have and then draft a dude most likely.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I think you’re too harsh on them, they’re well above the mean in today’s nfl for safeties, it’s a position with a REALLY low overall talent level across the league, and most of the bigger names there are either hybrid robber types or straight up strong safeties. Both of our safeties would be studs in traditional strong roles, but they’re asked to fulfill all the duties and they also play a risky coverage scheme which is what their coach asks of them, it is what it is, they’re left exposed and yeah chuck sometimes lacks the range and Elliott is a little too trigger happy, and it’s literally just the single high and against double moves in 2 deep where they struggle.
Idk, sometimes i just feel like our cbs hold
So much to prevent getting beat over top cause our S never in play... tbh, under than in run game, i never see our safties making plays in cvg.. it would be ok if we had one cvg S then chuck but with both of them back there, i dnt like it.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
i guess also but - like what's the point of paying a ton of money for a safety? guys like kenny vaccaro are getting paid more money than chuck - the top guys in the league are getting paid nearly 3 times as much as chuck - it just feels like it's the running back of the defence in terms of value (albeit you aren't expecting your safeties to fall of a cliff) - there seems to be very little point paying a ton of money for a safety when you could pay a corner instead

especially as we haven't really been struggling recently to find decent safety play either through late draft picks or through veteran signings

paying earl thomas nearly 14m/yr seems like a massive waste even if it had worked out - we're paying marcus peters 14m/yr....
You combine both clark and elliot together and they still arent half of earl.. the plays earl made for us, they wouldnt make on their best day.. i love safties, i feel thats the one position that no matter your offensive scheme, you cant avoid them if theyre good. I just feel those guys be out there lost at times.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Uh we’re saying the same thing here. I don’t have any interest in throwing down top dollar on any safety. I expect us to just sign a guy in FA for ST with some upside at S to replace what we have and then draft a dude most likely.
I def wouldnt throw top dollar at a S.. i doubt any of them are even worth it. Shit i didnt even want us going after adams when the rumor was going around. Been watching the rookie S class thats coming out and i
Just feel like some of those guys can come in and make better plays than our current safties ever did

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i agree with that - i loved having judon and bowser on the field at the same time with the amazing versatility that gave us - they helped create a ridiculous number of free rushers in 2020

feel like judon's a bigger loss than ngakoue but ultimately there's probably ways of getting around the loss of both of them as long as we can keep bowser
Judon doesn’t come with the loss of a third round pick

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
You combine both clark and elliot together and they still arent half of earl.. the plays earl made for us, they wouldnt make on their best day.. i love safties, i feel thats the one position that no matter your offensive scheme, you cant avoid them if theyre good. I just feel those guys be out there lost at times.

Uhhh... what plays exactly? Lol

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is there a realistic scenario where Watt plays for the Ravens? I see a lot of fans talking about it but I don’t see how it can happen. Especially if we’re trying to bring back one of our pass rushers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Those plays he made vs patriots comes to mind. Im just not big fan of them at all in thr pass game. They dnt make plays to me.

What comes to my mind is the play he made for Derrick Henry, while Elliot was busy blowing him up

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
And you're totally right about that. But don't you think that this next year is maybe one of the most important for the near future of the Ravens. Lamar certainly won't be on a rookie deal in 2 years. He might not even be next year. We got our first playoff win. Seems like the time to make a push.
Not going to be a year where you can make a big "push" most likely, due to cap constraints.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is there a realistic scenario where Watt plays for the Ravens? I see a lot of fans talking about it but I don’t see how it can happen. Especially if we’re trying to bring back one of our pass rushers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have to be on a multi-year deal with a very low 2021 cap hit. And it would have to be in a price range we're comfortable with.

I think he's going to get like $15M a year on the open market. I'm not sure we should be shopping in that price range for any player, regardless of position.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Yep... we need better receivers period. Some of these throws were on Lamar as some looked a little off but the rest is on the receivers, even reliable ones like Andrews. Everything looking like the Flacco era Ravens where we get drops at the worst possible time.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Yep... we need better receivers period. Some of these throws were on Lamar as some looked a little off but the rest is on the receivers, even reliable ones like Andrews. Everything looking like the Flacco era Ravens where we get drops at the worst possible time.

We really are cursed when it comes to this shit. It's starting to become one of our main anthems. We went 11-5 with this nonsense.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Is that really the worst percentage of any QB?