• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Mf we are not letting mark walk wtf are you smoking?

It doesn’t matter how good a TE prospect looks, you can’t quantify whether or not a prospect can be in sync with Lamar the way andrews is, you could sign Travis kelce or George kittle and you still might not get nearly the same level of play, because what andrews does for the ravens is something only andrews does, he’s on some telepathic shit with Lamar.

you don’t replace that guy. Replacing andrews with Lamar, is like trying to replace boldin with joe, except andrews has been at this with Lamar for 2 full seasons, boldin was at it with joe for a playoff run.

I will die on this hill, mark andrews is the one and only key to the ravens passing game, you can replace any player on the ravens offense except for Lamar and andrews.
I havent fully looked at pitts but from what i did see, he is unreal.. i wouldnt trade andrews + to move up for him, however, i think pitts would probably do same or if not better in our system than andrews..

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Really? Last mock i seen didnt have him going on 1st rnd.. ive seen toney but not him.
Idk where you’re seeing mocks but it sounds to me like whoever made the mock flat out forgot he exists because he opted out lol.

I mean nothing is certain, sure he could be available, I just very highly doubt it, he’s very highly touted

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I havent fully looked at pitts but from what i did see, he is unreal.. i wouldnt trade andrews + to move up for him, however, i think pitts would probably do same or if not better in our system than andrews..
I’d rather add pitts, than replace andrews with him, because pitts is more than a pure TE to me. With Kyle pitts I envision him as our defacto X Receiver. Splitting out wide often, early reads etc.

But I do not envision any player doing what andrews does for us, that’s a projection you can’t make, because you can’t project how well a player will be in sync with our qb. I don’t doubt for a second that Kyle pitts will likely be a better player than andrews, however I wouldn’t bank on him being able to do what andrews does for us. He could outgain and out produce him, but andrews and Lamar are a whole squad on scramble drills, and in the red zone, and deep seams when singled on a LB, splitting defenders, spot throws where the 2 HAVE to be on the same page, etc. those 2 play like they’re seeing through the same pair of eyes sometimes. There’s just something different that you can’t replicate with athleticism and skill.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

It doesn’t matter how good a TE prospect looks, you can’t quantify whether or not a prospect can be in sync with Lamar the way andrews is, you could sign Travis kelce or George kittle and you still might not get nearly the same level of play, because what andrews does for the ravens is something only andrews does, he’s on some telepathic shit with Lamar.

you don’t replace that guy. Replacing andrews with Lamar, is like trying to replace boldin with joe, except andrews has been at this with Lamar for 2 full seasons, boldin was at it with joe for a playoff run.

I will die on this hill, mark andrews is the one and only key to the ravens passing game, you can replace any player on the ravens offense except for Lamar and andrews.

the other thing is - that while you grade every player individually it does have to be said that 1st round TEs have not fared well in recent times

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Really? Last mock i seen didnt have him going on 1st rnd.. ive seen toney but not him.

idk why - i think the closer we get to the draft the more people are gonna start talking about the top 4 WRs rather than the top 3 WRs

he has great film - maybe the only prospect with better film is devonta smith
but analytics absolutely loves Bateman - in lots of analytics models he's up there with Ja'Marr Chase (who is clearly the analytics darling)

it's hard to see how he would fall to the end of the 1st unless lots of teams buy into the idea that you don't take a WR in round 1 because you can always find contributors in day 2 (looking over the last half-decade or so)

in all the mocks ive read, it's fairly consistent that 5 or 6 WRs are going everytime - and it's almost always Chase, Smith, Waddle, Bateman and then 1 or 2 others depending on who's making the mock (normally rondale moore or terrace marshall jr or kadarius toney)

JAAM

Hall of Famer

No I know.. I don’t want Mark to walk either. Just curious if EDC will hand out big money to him. I want him to be a Raven for life. Pitts just looks phenomenal

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Jamison Crowder could be a cap causality and I’d LOVE to have him here if so

Simba

Staff Member
I was just going down the salary cap chart and we don't really have that many candidates to clear cap space

Cut Candidates:
Calais Campbell ($6M), Brandon Williams ($7.5M), LJ Fort ($2.25M)

I don't think Calais is likely at all but I guess I can't completely count him out. Just don't think there are enough savings relative to his value when healthy. Brandon Williams is an interesting one. He restructured his contract which would normally make him "safe" but I imagine that if we have to make a tough decision at some point, he's the one that goes. LJ Fort seems like an obvious candidate unless they want to give him another cheap extension.

Restructure Candidates:
Marcus Peters, Ronnie Stanley

Peters looks like a good option here. He got such a small signing bonus that you could convert $6-8M from his base salary this year into a signing bonus and still be just fine to cut him next year if you needed to. A quick easy way to save $3-4M this year and only adds about the same to his pretty cheap $12M cap hit next year. He's got a really good structure to his deal to move some money around for us. Because Ronnie Stanley has a fresh deal, you could easily take a few million and spread it over the life of the contract without any significant jumps in future years.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Jamison Crowder could be a cap causality and I’d LOVE to have him here if so

idk - maybe he's not worth the 11.5 cap hit but it's not like the jets are short on cap space right now and he was their WR1 - obviously they'll be hoping that a healthy Mims will kick on and take the next step but the only WR they've got with him other than Crowder is Perriman

Crowder might not be potentially worth the 11.5 cap hit but he's a pretty good WR to have around for a rookie QB to rely on

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was just going down the salary cap chart and we don't really have that many candidates to clear cap space

Cut Candidates:
Calais Campbell ($6M), Brandon Williams ($7.5M), LJ Fort ($2.25M)

I don't think Calais is likely at all but I guess I can't completely count him out. Just don't think there are enough savings relative to his value when healthy. Brandon Williams is an interesting one. He restructured his contract which would normally make him "safe" but I imagine that if we have to make a tough decision at some point, he's the one that goes. LJ Fort seems like an obvious candidate unless they want to give him another cheap extension.

Restructure Candidates:
Marcus Peters, Ronnie Stanley

Peters looks like a good option here. He got such a small signing bonus that you could convert $6-8M from his base salary this year into a signing bonus and still be just fine to cut him next year if you needed to. A quick easy way to save $3-4M this year and only adds about the same to his pretty cheap $12M cap hit next year. He's got a really good structure to his deal to move some money around for us. Because Ronnie Stanley has a fresh deal, you could easily take a few million and spread it over the life of the contract without any significant jumps in future years.
Agree here.

Stanley is getting restructured I think for sure. Its only a question of when.
I think they could approach Campbell for a one year extension, given 2021 is his final year. Could probably take his $10M salary for 2021, put most into a bonus, and then give him like another $10M for 2022 in non-guaranteed salary. Would be able to clear maybe $3-4M or so in cap space by doing that.

Peters is interesting too. They could easily restructure his, but he's only got two years left. They could look to maybe add another year or two to his deal as well. He figures to still be a good player at 30-31, and they'll probably have to decide whether he's here long term or not before 2022 anyway, since that's the final year of his deal.

Williams I think is safe for now, though I've heard many rumblings from "the industry" suggesting he may not be. I just can't see him doing the restructure he did in the offseason without some semblance of guarantee of a roster spot for 2021. Plus, the Ravens clearly like him a LOT more than fans do.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
idk why - i think the closer we get to the draft the more people are gonna start talking about the top 4 WRs rather than the top 3 WRs

he has great film - maybe the only prospect with better film is devonta smith
but analytics absolutely loves Bateman - in lots of analytics models he's up there with Ja'Marr Chase (who is clearly the analytics darling)

it's hard to see how he would fall to the end of the 1st unless lots of teams buy into the idea that you don't take a WR in round 1 because you can always find contributors in day 2 (looking over the last half-decade or so)

in all the mocks ive read, it's fairly consistent that 5 or 6 WRs are going everytime - and it's almost always Chase, Smith, Waddle, Bateman and then 1 or 2 others depending on who's making the mock (normally rondale moore or terrace marshall jr or kadarius toney)
Ive only seen one so far so thats probably why... i literally dont see anything special in marshall jr though.. he looks decent but he doest stand out to me at all. Id be mad if we drafted him tbh. Id grow to like him but right now i dnt see it.. we need nfl ready guys

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
For those who watched hassan reddick, how do you all feel about him? Was him playing his normal position the reason for his breakout year? Or you wouldnt count on him to have another year as such?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ive only seen one so far so thats probably why... i literally dont see anything special in marshall jr though.. he looks decent but he doest stand out to me at all. Id be mad if we drafted him tbh. Id grow to like him but right now i dnt see it.. we need nfl ready guys

yeah i dont agree with marshall as a 1st round pick at all - but was only pointing out that he's one of the common 5th/6th guys mocked

in my grades he's currently WR 13 lol

Simba

Staff Member
Agree here.

Stanley is getting restructured I think for sure. Its only a question of when.
I think they could approach Campbell for a one year extension, given 2021 is his final year. Could probably take his $10M salary for 2021, put most into a bonus, and then give him like another $10M for 2022 in non-guaranteed salary. Would be able to clear maybe $3-4M or so in cap space by doing that.

Peters is interesting too. They could easily restructure his, but he's only got two years left. They could look to maybe add another year or two to his deal as well. He figures to still be a good player at 30-31, and they'll probably have to decide whether he's here long term or not before 2022 anyway, since that's the final year of his deal.

Williams I think is safe for now, though I've heard many rumblings from "the industry" suggesting he may not be. I just can't see him doing the restructure he did in the offseason without some semblance of guarantee of a roster spot for 2021. Plus, the Ravens clearly like him a LOT more than fans do.

DeCosta definitely approaches these things differently. The recent Boyle deal is what he loves to do - tack on a couple of years to a deal instead of a straight restructure. I think most of the guys here (Peters, Campbell, Williams) are all candidates for that if you can reach an agreement. None of them are overly expensive. Campbell's "extension" would be more for cap reasons but I could absolutely see them wanting to keep Peters and Williams around for a couple more years if they can. I appreciate that type of maneuvering much more than a straight restructure, but it's obviously easier said than done.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
DeCosta definitely approaches these things differently. The recent Boyle deal is what he loves to do - tack on a couple of years to a deal instead of a straight restructure. I think most of the guys here (Peters, Campbell, Williams) are all candidates for that if you can reach an agreement. None of them are overly expensive. Campbell's "extension" would be more for cap reasons but I could absolutely see them wanting to keep Peters and Williams around for a couple more years if they can. I appreciate that type of maneuvering much more than a straight restructure, but it's obviously easier said than done.
I can't see an extension for BWill. If there is one, it would have to be at a heck of a lot less than his last deal. I think they want him here for 2021 and are fully OK with him hitting the market in 2022 and seeing if they can retain, much like a Jimmy Smith. By the time he hits FA next year, he'll be a 33 year old run stopper. Like I guess if they could lock him up for 2022 at like $5M or something cheap like that, sure, they'd do it, but I'm not sure I see an extension in the cards for him.

Giving Campbell an extension would, yes, likely only be a salary cap maneuver. I can't see them giving him any more guaranteed money beyond 2021, and he would be 50/50 to be here in 2022, given his age.

Peters I think is the only one of the three who you could actually justify an extension for in terms of anything other than salary cap relief. Still not sure the Ravens are big on extensions on players with 2 years remaining on a deal. But he would be on my radar for certain.

Simba

Staff Member
I can't see an extension for BWill. If there is one, it would have to be at a heck of a lot less than his last deal. I think they want him here for 2021 and are fully OK with him hitting the market in 2022 and seeing if they can retain, much like a Jimmy Smith. By the time he hits FA next year, he'll be a 33 year old run stopper. Like I guess if they could lock him up for 2022 at like $5M or something cheap like that, sure, they'd do it, but I'm not sure I see an extension in the cards for him.

Giving Campbell an extension would, yes, likely only be a salary cap maneuver. I can't see them giving him any more guaranteed money beyond 2021, and he would be 50/50 to be here in 2022, given his age.

Peters I think is the only one of the three who you could actually justify an extension for in terms of anything other than salary cap relief. Still not sure the Ravens are big on extensions on players with 2 years remaining on a deal. But he would be on my radar for certain.

You do have some leverage with BWill right now which is the only reason I see it as a potential option. He's a good player but we know if he gets cut, he is not getting what he's scheduled to make on the open market. That's why he already took a pay cut. And with him only getting older, I could see a scenario where you add a year or two to his deal at a pretty cheap rate and it would be hard for him to say no. Get to keep a player that is valuable to us. A little risky at his age? Sure, but might be worth it depending on the price.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Id much rather go after reddick or durpree than to resign yannick..
Dupree will be well out of our price range. Even if he doesn't get a long term deal, many teams in the league would give him a one year pact at like $10-12M, even off an ACL injury, since that would be heavily discounted from his market rate.

We won't have anywhere near the cap space to be taking on a $10-12M cap hit for anybody, so that's likely out of the question.

Reddick is interesting. He has a ton of red flags in terms of a guy who's production skyrocketed in the last year of his rookie deal, which is usually big red flag for large FA spend. But he could be somewhat discounted compared to the others.

I probably wouldn't put Reddick any higher or lower than somebody like Yannick or Judon based on that, so it would just come down to price range.