• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i think with the jags any deal has to start with that 25th pick and work up from there
I disagree tbh, I’d take 33, 45, and their 4th for brown, and then there is the added bonus of being able to jump the browns for a player we may want to take over them by offering back their 4th to move back 2 spots. Say an edge rusher or WR is there who the browns are dying to take, how beautiful it would be lol, but getting 2 more picks on day 2 and at least 1 more pick in 4-5 just feels crucial, I don’t care how we do it, I don’t care if we don’t pick in round 1, and I don’t care if we do it with or without brown, we gotta have a day 2 similar to last year, that is how this team can sustain, ship off one great player for multiple good players to round out the roster and the hope is that one or more turn out better than just good

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I was hoping the OBJ trade thing wouldn't happen this year with all the other turmoil, but I think this is something the staff of EDC can really excel at, so I'm in to see what can be done. The only thing is, that it's going to have to be a trade with the other team likely signing him to a UFA-contract. Basically what they are getting is one cheap year to get exclusive rights negotiating his UFA contract now instead of next year. I think that's likely worth a 1st round pick and maybe a 2nd next year with another 4th this year. That's a pretty good haul. Whether other teams see it that way remains to be seen. But he's not going to be traded without an extension from the trade partner.

I really think this is the future. We have to be able to identify players that have trade value, but really no long term potential due to competition at the position or simply money we'll be on the hook for if we try to sign them as UFA's when their rookie deals end. Gaining the extra picks can lead to maintaining a cheaper and more competitive team.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I was hoping the OBJ trade thing wouldn't happen this year with all the other turmoil, but I think this is something the staff of EDC can really excel at, so I'm in to see what can be done. The only thing is, that it's going to have to be a trade with the other team likely signing him to a UFA-contract. Basically what they are getting is one cheap year to get exclusive rights negotiating his UFA contract now instead of next year. I think that's likely worth a 1st round pick and maybe a 2nd next year with another 4th this year. That's a pretty good haul. Whether other teams see it that way remains to be seen. But he's not going to be traded without an extension from the trade partner.

I really think this is the future. We have to be able to identify players that have trade value, but really no long term potential due to competition at the position or simply money we'll be on the hook for if we try to sign them as UFA's when their rookie deals end. Gaining the extra picks can lead to maintaining a cheaper and more competitive team.
this is what ive felt ever since it became obvious that brown wouldnt be here for a 2nd deal. we have a player we feel is worthy of carrying the team to wins, hes gonna cost a lot, this is how we build, with draft capital.

we are in the final year of our "building" phase, after this year the cap will be essentially gone for us because of lamar, and its essentially gone this year too(thanks earl you piece of shit) and our draft capital is extremely low. this team wont sustain without building lots of draft capital over the next several seasons and we also have to nail the picks as well.

Simba

Staff Member
this is what ive felt ever since it became obvious that brown wouldnt be here for a 2nd deal. we have a player we feel is worthy of carrying the team to wins, hes gonna cost a lot, this is how we build, with draft capital.

we are in the final year of our "building" phase, after this year the cap will be essentially gone for us because of lamar, and its essentially gone this year too(thanks earl you piece of shit) and our draft capital is extremely low. this team wont sustain without building lots of draft capital over the next several seasons and we also have to nail the picks as well.

Next year's draft capital has the potential to be extremely high, though.

Already have a 3rd round comp pick for Culley, and in line for two more with Judon and Ngakoue. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if we're willing to cancel one of those out for OL this year, but we're still in a pretty good position. This year was looking rough but Culley coming out of nowhere to get a HC job was a godsend.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Next year's draft capital has the potential to be extremely high, though.

Already have a 3rd round comp pick for Culley, and in line for two more with Judon and Ngakoue. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if we're willing to cancel one of those out for OL this year, but we're still in a pretty good position. This year was looking rough but Culley coming out of nowhere to get a HC job was a godsend.
oh my god you aint lying, mock generators werent even worth doing until that culley comp came in lol, watching all the great prospects come and go on day 2 and you only get 1 pick in all of it, trash lol.

that said, im not convinced yet that ngakoue walks, he came into a new system midseason during covid, generated lots of pressures, and cost us a third, im banking on eric not wanting to cut that loss just yet when the potential return is so high, and not only is the return potentially high but hes PROVEN with a fairly long track record for such a young player. if ngakoues price is around 16-18m, id wanna find a way to make that work.

this is a round 2-5 type of draft class imo, i dont even want a first round pick unless theres some inexplicable faller, bateman, AVT, barmore, ojulari, ossai(changed my tune on him lol), and horn are the only players id wanna take at 27, creed humphrey would be a consolation prize. i would send brown to grab as many day 2 picks as possible, if we get a 1 for brown i wanna trade back from BOTH first rounders, pick up day 2s for this year and next if possible. i just feel like we are way short on draft capital, even including potential comps next year, for this roster.

my hope for the team is that we use that expensive secondary to buy us time, and as the older guys come off the books like campbell and wolfe and bwill, we easily replace them after attacking the front seven and OL with sheer volume for another 2 draft classes.

Last edited:

Simba

Staff Member
oh my god you aint lying, mock generators werent even worth doing until that culley comp came in lol, watching all the great prospects come and go on day 2 and you only get 1 pick in all of it, trash lol.

that said, im not convinced yet that ngakoue walks, he came into a new system midseason during covid, generated lots of pressures, and cost us a third, im banking on eric not wanting to cut that loss just yet when the potential return is so high, and not only is the return potentially high but hes PROVEN with a fairly long track record for such a young player. if ngakoues price is around 16-18m, id wanna find a way to make that work.

this is a round 2-5 type of draft class imo, i dont even want a first round pick unless theres some inexplicable faller, bateman, AVT, barmore, ojulari, ossai(changed my tune on him lol), and horn are the only players id wanna take at 27, creed humphrey would be a consolation prize. i would send brown to grab as many day 2 picks as possible, if we get a 1 for brown i wanna trade back from BOTH first rounders, pick up day 2s for this year and next if possible. i just feel like we are way short on draft capital, even including potential comps next year, for this roster.

my hope for the team is that we use that expensive secondary to buy us time, and as the older guys come off the books like campbell and wolfe and bwill, we easily replace them after attacking the front seven and OL with sheer volume for another 2 draft classes.

We've had an interesting approach to building the team for sure, and it's kind of been one side of the ball or the other recently. The big money lies on the defense currently, while draft picks have been largely devoted to the offense. But as the defensive contracts start to wind down and those guys get older, the offensive players are due for their contracts. And then, we can shift the draft focus largely back to the defense. It's not perfectly that way of course... we just drafted defense in the first round last year and there are still some offensive holes and stuff like that, but it's more or less a rotation that we could see for a little bit. Interesting experiment and I'm very curious to see how it works at the next kind of milestone for lack of a better word.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
As much as I absolutely love ARob and Golladay, Linsley inches closer and closer to the top of my #SIIE list every day. Lamar put up fantastic passing number when he actually had time and I’m not sure a “#1” would help him do that if he’s still jittery in the pocket.

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Texans released veteran Center Nick Martin. I know Linsley is who we want but Martin feels more like the type of guy we would sign.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Texans released veteran Center Nick Martin. I know Linsley is who we want but Martin feels more like the type of guy we would sign.

idk - if we're splashing on a free agent C then it'd better be for a good one

nick martin helps us in the sense that he adds another starting name to the market but if we're bringing in a C i don't want any part of those guys who would only be marginal upgrades because at that point i'd rather just stick with mekari and/or TCC

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
idk - if we're splashing on a free agent C then it'd better be for a good one

nick martin helps us in the sense that he adds another starting name to the market but if we're bringing in a C i don't want any part of those guys who would only be marginal upgrades because at that point i'd rather just stick with mekari and/or TCC
I’d much rather bring in a C who we know is not only gonna compete but is a guy who has potential to be a lower mid tier starter who could benefit big from this scheme. I’m pretty high on TCC but we saw last year we just need to have competition at C and RG and if brown goes then RT too.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
I’d much rather bring in a C who we know is not only gonna compete but is a guy who has potential to be a lower mid tier starter who could benefit big from this scheme. I’m pretty high on TCC but we saw last year we just need to have competition at C and RG and if brown goes then RT too.

I think The Ravens probably already did that when they signed center Greg Mancz

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
  • ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports the "expectation is Baltimore won’t pursue a No. 1 wide receiver like Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay."
    For fantasy purposes, Golladay and Robinson avoiding the Ravens is certainly for the best. The team's low-volume passing offense wouldn't offer the sort of opportunity that has made Golladay and Robinson consistent fantasy producers. In 2020, Ravens receivers ranked last in catches (137) and receiving yards (1,729). Hensley said Baltimore could pursue "one or two wide receivers from the second tier" -- wideouts like Sammy Watkins, A.J. Green, and Corey Davis. Dez Bryant and Willie Snead aren't expected back for the Ravens in 2021.

RELATED: SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Mar 2, 2021, 8:55 AM ET

JAAM

Hall of Famer
  • ESPN's Jamison Hensley reports the "expectation is Baltimore won’t pursue a No. 1 wide receiver like Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay."
    For fantasy purposes, Golladay and Robinson avoiding the Ravens is certainly for the best. The team's low-volume passing offense wouldn't offer the sort of opportunity that has made Golladay and Robinson consistent fantasy producers. In 2020, Ravens receivers ranked last in catches (137) and receiving yards (1,729). Hensley said Baltimore could pursue "one or two wide receivers from the second tier" -- wideouts like Sammy Watkins, A.J. Green, and Corey Davis. Dez Bryant and Willie Snead aren't expected back for the Ravens in 2021.

RELATED:SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Mar 2, 2021, 8:55 AM ET
I figured as much. For the first time as a Ravens fan, I’d prefer we go the less sexier route and pick up someone that can help protect Lamar. He didn’t have a “#1” his MVP season but had excellent protection and still put up fantastic numbers. It’s not like EDC will neglect the WR position altogether anyways. I just want Lamar comfortable in the pocket and not have to put the offense on his back every game.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I figured as much. For the first time as a Ravens fan, I’d prefer we go the less sexier route and pick up someone that can help protect Lamar. He didn’t have a “#1” his MVP season but had excellent protection and still put up fantastic numbers. It’s not like EDC will neglect the WR position altogether anyways. I just want Lamar comfortable in the pocket and not have to put the offense on his back every game.

100% - i want weapons (we have to add weapons somewhere) but they don't need to be world-beaters

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Exactly. If Lamar is comfortable in the pocket, I don’t think there’s a defense out there who can stop him, his arm is there, but it disappears when it becomes clear that he doesn’t have time to go through the rhythm. Lamar definitely gets that “I have to carry us” feeling where he’s ready to bail on a play and start ad libbing as soon as the ball is snapped, it will work sometimes but it often leads to increasingly ugly plays as the game goes on, this only happens when Lamar is consistently uncomfortable in the pocket.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I think this is the route we should go anyways. Making sure that we have a top 5 o-line will bring Lamar's numbers back to MVP consideration. Maybe A-Rob isn't the true answer if we can get a solid offensive lineman.

Yeah, fuck all of that shit. It's still #SIIE till I die. Get A-Rob to the Ravens ASAP!

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I think this is the route we should go anyways. Making sure that we have a top 5 o-line will bring Lamar's numbers back to MVP consideration. Maybe A-Rob isn't the true answer if we can get a solid offensive lineman.

Yeah, fuck all of that shit. It's still #SIIE till I die. Get A-Rob to the Ravens ASAP!
What if EDC put his balls on the table and got both Linsley and ARob some how