• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JO_75

Hall of Famer

Yay or Nay? The one benefit I'll say about this is he is already used to a run first system with Zimmer in Minnesota so it wouldn't be too different coming here. Now unless he wants to catch more than he'll go to more of a pass happy offensive system. This just smells like a Ravens signing, a veteran guy who can help now and doesn't count against the compensatory picks.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yay or Nay? The one benefit I'll say about this is he is already used to a run first system with Zimmer in Minnesota so it wouldn't be too different coming here. Now unless he wants to catch more than he'll go to more of a pass happy offensive system. This just smells like a Ravens signing, a veteran guy who can help now and doesn't count against the compensatory picks.

He very, very, very much wants to run more routes and catch more passes. He pretty much forced the Vikings hands by refusing to take a paycut because he wasn't happy about his role (i.e. not running routes or getting targets).

I'd rather see us add a TE in the draft. If we're going to add another veteran who only wants to catch passes as a TE, our offense won't grow. It'll still be just a bunch of middle of the field throws and lack of explosiveness in the passing game.

Simba

Staff Member
He very, very, very much wants to run more routes and catch more passes. He pretty much forced the Vikings hands by refusing to take a paycut because he wasn't happy about his role (i.e. not running routes or getting targets).

I'd rather see us add a TE in the draft. If we're going to add another veteran who only wants to catch passes as a TE, our offense won't grow. It'll still be just a bunch of middle of the field throws and lack of explosiveness in the passing game.

I agree with this. I don't see the need to go the vet route unless it's extremely cheap. With how well we develop TEs, I don't see any reason we should be able to turn a mid-late rounder into a competent TE3. I'm not devoting more money there.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

If he accepts his role in our unique offense id be all for it. We would benefit from a second pass catching option at TE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

JAAM

Hall of Famer

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know anything about bowser? Any rumors? What’s his asking price? For me he’s my favorite guy to bring back. I want nothing from judon or yannick and their 19+ mil they will want.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Does anyone know anything about bowser? Any rumors? What’s his asking price? For me he’s my favorite guy to bring back. I want nothing from judon or yannick and their 19+ mil they will want.

Careful, Judon may hear you and tell your wife about that time in the strip club

Simba

Staff Member

Bowser is a tough call this year. I’ve seen some “experts” estimate $5-6M per year but who even knows. He’s such a weird player to try to evaluate. Obviously the sack numbers aren’t there, and his real value comes from the dirty work he does. But do other teams place a value on that? It’s so hard to pin down what his market is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Bowser is a tough call this year. I’ve seen some “experts” estimate $5-6M per year but who even knows. He’s such a weird player to try to evaluate. Obviously the sack numbers aren’t there, and his real value comes from the dirty work he does. But do other teams place a value on that? It’s so hard to pin down what his market is.

if he's at 5-6m then there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be bringing him back

he was 2nd on the team in INTs (he'd only had 1 in year 1 but he was due for more - i even said it in my pre-season video i did on bowser last year that id have been shocked if he didnt come away with at least 1 or 2 INTs this year) - i think it's highly likely he continues getting picks through his ravens career (if he stays) as long as he's on the field

INTS + some pass rush + some run defence + general pass defence seems to me to be easily worth 5-6m

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

No way can we spend what precious cap space we got on a TE. Tomlinson is a low radar signing but an important one and Breeland/Wolf had very productive years in college as receiving threats and with our young WR's how bout we just get a true offseason with our young talent for chrissakes.

Fuck Rudolph and his red nose.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...g-britt-reid-brain-damage-kansas-city-chiefs/

Sad stuff , i imagine Britt Reid’s days in the NFL are done

This truly is tragic and Reid should be punished with fines and jailtime. Remember this man also has to live with what he did and I truly hope he is very very remorseful.

Simba

Staff Member
if he's at 5-6m then there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't be bringing him back

he was 2nd on the team in INTs (he'd only had 1 in year 1 but he was due for more - i even said it in my pre-season video i did on bowser last year that id have been shocked if he didnt come away with at least 1 or 2 INTs this year) - i think it's highly likely he continues getting picks through his ravens career (if he stays) as long as he's on the field

INTS + some pass rush + some run defence + general pass defence seems to me to be easily worth 5-6m

Agreed completely. Wouldn’t be completely shocked if his market goes up to like $8M but I’m not sure I see anything higher than that, but just a guess. He’s kind of the modern day Jarret Johnson in a way, except he does the coverage dirty work instead of the edge setting dirty work.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed completely. Wouldn’t be completely shocked if his market goes up to like $8M but I’m not sure I see anything higher than that, but just a guess. He’s kind of the modern day Jarret Johnson in a way, except he does the coverage dirty work instead of the edge setting dirty work.

he's not bad setting the edge though - he just wasnt asked to do it a ton - but when he was he was pretty good - and he has the added benefit out there of being really good vs the screen game

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

If bowsers highest offer is say 8-9m, would you match? I would. Honestly I think bowser is a late bloomer and he’s just scratching the surface, he’s progressed steadily every year and he seems to be catching fire now, his understanding of the game is finally allowing his supreme athleticism to take over.

I don’t ever think he’s gonna be a 10 sack guy, but I could absolutely see bowser with a 6 sack 3 int type of season, the talent and ability is there and he will likely be featured in the scheme more just out of necessity, he had his breakout season in 2020 I’d say, I think he’s gonna become a fairly respected player by the end of 2021.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If bowsers highest offer is say 8-9m, would you match? I would. Honestly I think bowser is a late bloomer and he’s just scratching the surface, he’s progressed steadily every year and he seems to be catching fire now, his understanding of the game is finally allowing his supreme athleticism to take over.

I don’t ever think he’s gonna be a 10 sack guy, but I could absolutely see bowser with a 6 sack 3 int type of season, the talent and ability is there and he will likely be featured in the scheme more just out of necessity, he had his breakout season in 2020 I’d say, I think he’s gonna become a fairly respected player by the end of 2021.

i think i'd be fine with anything under 10m but obviously would rather it be less than that...

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If Dez and Willie are gone, that leaves us with:

Hollywood
Boykin
Duv
Proche

With that group, we really need 1 big upgrade on the outside and 1 big upgrade in the slot. With regards to the outside, I just don't know who will he that guy in 2021. In terms of the slot, I think there's a chance Duv can he that guy. Maybe also Proche, but it seems less likely. Additionally there are a ton of slot guys in this draft.

So it always comes back to this. Who is going to be what Miles Boykin was supposed to be? Does he even have the chance to be a late bloomer?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If Dez and Willie are gone, that leaves us with:

Hollywood
Boykin
Duv
Proche

With that group, we really need 1 big upgrade on the outside and 1 big upgrade in the slot. With regards to the outside, I just don't know who will he that guy in 2021. In terms of the slot, I think there's a chance Duv can he that guy. Maybe also Proche, but it seems less likely. Additionally there are a ton of slot guys in this draft.

So it always comes back to this. Who is going to be what Miles Boykin was supposed to be? Does he even have the chance to be a late bloomer?

no one in that group outside of hollywood has shown the consistent ability to beat man coverage - that's an issue - proche ran some nice routes but only played like 10 snaps all year and some of those were kneel downs

duvernay does not run routes - he just runs right now now - on his college tape you see the ability to run slants and find holes in the zone but he's not winning vs man coverage right now which is what punishes us when teams decide to keep numbers in the box - we have to be able to win those matchups downfield

as you say there's a ton of slot guys in the upcoming draft class - and i think it would behove us to grab one of them - willie snead was a possession receiver out of the slot - if we had an actual threat there it would be massively beneficial

im not so fussed about finding an outside receiver vs slot receiver in that sense - we just need to add weapons (plural)

some good fits who could spend time in the slot might be elijah moore, amari rodgers (who's our new WR coach Tee Martin's son and gets a ton of YAC - which the ravens don't get a ton of), amon-ra st brown, terrace marshall (bigger dude but played mostly in the slot in 2020), rondale moore (one of the twitchiest college athletes i've ever seen)

i guess when i think about boykin and what he was supposed to be - im just not really sure what the vision was in that spot... i think they took him based on the height-weight-speed measurables and i think there's a reason he always looks better in the offseason vs game-time - he's not physical despite his size - he's a good blocker but that physicality does not show up at the catch-point or through his routes

im hoping the lesson learned there by the front office is that the height/length don't matter if you don't play big

Simba

Staff Member
With the above in mind, I honestly think I'd take the risk in cutting Brandon Williams. $7.5M in savings and I highly doubt he gets that on the open market. I'd take the risk, cut him, let him explore his market, and try to match or slightly exceed whatever the highest offer is. I don't think it'll be $7.5M and if he does get that, good for him.