• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
John Harbaugh sheds light on the hilarity that pursued on the sideline on that fateful night in Cleveland on Monday Night Football.

That was fantastic!! Out came the white knight/wizard to save the day just like Gandalf in LoTR

That's awesome. Love the Snead/Tucker stuff. I still don't understand why Sam Koch isn't the emergency QB though!

I guess it comes down to Willie knowing the play book, even if Sam has the better arm.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's awesome. Love the Snead/Tucker stuff. I still don't understand why Sam Koch isn't the emergency QB though!

I guess it comes down to Willie knowing the play book, even if Sam has the better arm.

willie's probably a better fit for the concepts we run too - my guess is it would have been some sort of zone-read type playcall with dobbins and willie in the gun - koch's a decent passer but he's definitely not going to be able to run like willie might have

alternatively it might have been some sort of rollout (like the one we actually used with lamar) and hope that someone gets wide open like hollywood did or also create the option to run for it - koch's not going to be able to do that

willie's probably a better fit for the concepts we run too - my guess is it would have been some sort of zone-read type playcall with dobbins and willie in the gun - koch's a decent passer but he's definitely not going to be able to run like willie might have

alternatively it might have been some sort of rollout (like the one we actually used with lamar) and hope that someone gets wide open like hollywood did or also create the option to run for it - koch's not going to be able to do that
That's a good point actually. Maybe it would have been Koch in the old Joe Flacco offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Koch was a stud RB in high school wasn’t he? He ain’t got that much mileage on those legs, idk man

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
D99A20A2-935F-422A-9A0F-7E76EA0BF01F.jpeg
Following Lamar and Hollywood’s IG..

Seems like some of them are linking up in Scottsdale, AZ. Isn’t that where MAndrews’ from?

Warms my heart to see the boyz getting together to work out with voluntary OTAs being canceled.

Last edited:

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
View attachment 2634 Following Lamar and Hollywood’s IG..

Seems like some of them are linking up in Scottsdale, AZ. Isn’t that where MAndrews’ from?

Warms my heart to see the boyz getting together to work out with voluntary OTAs being canceled.
Can I be real for a second...

I always show joe flacco respect, and I don’t tolerate joe slander, but.... bruh fuck joe flacco, he literally refused to do this at any point, meanwhile Lamar and our young guys are flying all over the country in a pandemic to workout

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can I be real for a second...

I always show joe flacco respect, and I don’t tolerate joe slander, but.... bruh fuck joe flacco, he literally refused to do this at any point, meanwhile Lamar and our young guys are flying all over the country in a pandemic to workout
There were multiple reports of him doing so sporadically, starting back in 2011, and he definitely did it later in his career (2014, 2018 for certain). A lot of times these weren't made public.

I think the criticism was fair on his rookie contract and maybe shortly after. There was basically a two year period, however, where he was recovering from in-season injuries, so I wouldn't have expected him to be partaking. Older Joe was definitely running offseason workouts, however.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I t
There were multiple reports of him doing so sporadically, starting back in 2011, and he definitely did it later in his career (2014, 2018 for certain). A lot of times these weren't made public.

I think the criticism was fair on his rookie contract and maybe shortly after. There was basically a two year period, however, where he was recovering from in-season injuries, so I wouldn't have expected him to be partaking. Older Joe was definitely running offseason workouts, however.
I thought it came out every offseason until the end in 17-18 that he wouldn’t get his targets together for workouts?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I t

I thought it came out every offseason until the end in 17-18 that he wouldn’t get his targets together for workouts?
So this article was from 2011, saying that he was. Granted, it was dated late May, so one could argue that's more of a "voluntary OTA" type of workout then a side workout.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...n-informal-workouts-but-is-it-enough-for-some

This one was from late March, 2014:
https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore...6/joe-flacco-planning-workouts-with-receivers

Technically it says "was planning" so I can't prove it happened, but I'm assuming it did.

I would tend to agree with most that through his rookie contract there's very little evidence he did any of this. 2014 would seem to be the first time he did. Naturally he gets hurt during the 2015 season, so he would have likely skipped the pre-2016 workout. There were some questions about his availability for pre-2017 season workouts. He had a back disk hernia that offseason, where I recall he did not play in the preseason at all. No real idea how long that injury lasted, but if it lasted several months, that would probably justify a lack of workouts prior to 2017 also.

I'd give him a "pass" for both offseasons as a matter of just staying healthy. But agree there's really no excuse for the first call it 5-6 years of his career.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So this article was from 2011, saying that he was. Granted, it was dated late May, so one could argue that's more of a "voluntary OTA" type of workout then a side workout.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...n-informal-workouts-but-is-it-enough-for-some

This one was from late March, 2014:
https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore...6/joe-flacco-planning-workouts-with-receivers

Technically it says "was planning" so I can't prove it happened, but I'm assuming it did.

I would tend to agree with most that through his rookie contract there's very little evidence he did any of this. 2014 would seem to be the first time he did. Naturally he gets hurt during the 2015 season, so he would have likely skipped the pre-2016 workout. There were some questions about his availability for pre-2017 season workouts. He had a back disk hernia that offseason, where I recall he did not play in the preseason at all. No real idea how long that injury lasted, but if it lasted several months, that would probably justify a lack of workouts prior to 2017 also.

I'd give him a "pass" for both offseasons as a matter of just staying healthy. But agree there's really no excuse for the first call it 5-6 years of his career.

i wouldnt take it as given that "was planning" meant it happened - we know that he planned to do that later in his career and then they never actually got together

im not suggesting he should have to - but it is a marked difference between the way he interacted with his receivers and weapons and skill position guys and the way lamar does

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i wouldnt take it as given that "was planning" meant it happened - we know that he planned to do that later in his career and then they never actually got together

im not suggesting he should have to - but it is a marked difference between the way he interacted with his receivers and weapons and skill position guys and the way lamar does
No question there. He didn't do nearly enough. That's what everybody agrees with. It just at least "seemed" that, later in his career, he started taking more responsibility for that.