• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2021 Offseason Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
IF Lamar keeps putting fluttery wounded duck passes out there like the one to Sammy, using piss poor mechanics and therefore regressing again... do you all still support giving him the huge contract extension?

I do know it was one play, and this is way overblown ... but since everybody likes to play the what if game, I may as well throw my own out there too
I’d still roll with Lamar. At this point, it’s the occasional errant pass, and that may never go away, he might just fall off his mechanics here and there, and EVERY qb does it, Lamar has that finger-push in his release though so his errant throws become exaggerated and flutter.

I’ll just take the good with the bad. I have faith in Lamar

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’d still roll with Lamar. At this point, it’s the occasional errant pass, and that may never go away, he might just fall off his mechanics here and there, and EVERY qb does it, Lamar has that finger-push in his release though so his errant throws become exaggerated and flutter.

I’ll just take the good with the bad. I have faith in Lamar
Curious.. why can’t that finger-push be worked on so he can he a more traditional throw? Does Lamar have small hands? Lol

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Curious.. why can’t that finger-push be worked on so he can he a more traditional throw? Does Lamar have small hands? Lol

His hand size is 9.5”. That’s bigger than Pat’s hands

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
IF Lamar keeps putting fluttery wounded duck passes out there like the one to Sammy, using piss poor mechanics and therefore regressing again... do you all still support giving him the huge contract extension?

I do know it was one play, and this is way overblown ... but since everybody likes to play the what if game, I may as well throw my own out there too
I still think its that index finger fucking up his passes.. im cool with the extension though cause i really think we can win atleast one bowl with him.. i mean im gone talk my shit when he fucks up but thats still
My qb and i dnt allow no none ravens fans to speak bad on my boy name

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Because of his athleticism, he’s allowed to bet away with a ton of things more than a typical QB would
Yea but when that athleticism eventually declines, I’d like him to be more consistent with throwing the ball and how it comes out

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I wonder why Lamar prefers index finger passing. I feel like he threw tight spirals in college. Who the hell taught him to lead the ball with his index finger?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yea but when that athleticism eventually declines, I’d like him to be more consistent with throwing the ball and how it comes out

Which is why I’m VERY leary about handing him a huge extension for many years on it... once he starts slipping (could be due to age, and he’s only 24, true... but could also happen after one major injury too) then I don’t know where that exactly lends us up at.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

JAAM

Hall of Famer
@JAAM

Here is an excellent article on his grip, from Lamar himself. His section is towards the middle. Evidently he thinks it’s because it gives him more power. Evidently Marty tried to get him to change it up. Kurt Warner threw the ball the same way, according to the piece.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27349247/patrick-mahomes-tom-brady-lamar-jackson-reveal-stories-their-football-grips?platform=amp
Interesting that Marty tried to change it. I don’t remember Kurt‘s footballs ever coming out wobbly which is also strange to me

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The day he feels himself slowing down, I feel is the day he uses that workmanlike mentality to overhaul his throwing motion. It’s a process, he’s done a lot to get his base and his core more involved, I’m sure he can adapt over time

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Lot of people clowning GRo in the replies, but I don't know that he's wrong. Feel like our spread offense in 2019 was excellent, was damn near unstoppable when we went to it. Ofc you need to have the line hold up long enough and QB process coverages quicker, which we didn't see much in 2020.

i think it was a combination of those 2 things - but also one of the key defensive adjustments when we went to empty/spread concepts early in 2020 was for defences to send DBs on the blitz but in a controlled way to flush lamar out of the pocket to one side or the other and shrink the field

lamar ate up those blitzes in 2019 because he just avoided them because guys came too fast or he ate them up for breakfast - in 2020 they weren't necessarily always set on getting him down when they went to those blitzes but they shrunk the field for him and forced him to throw on the move (which ironically given his skillset is not where he's best)

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean it doesnt look aesthetic but this is all overblown
pretty spirals do not, a good quarterback, make...

the ball got to the right spot on time - and there are plenty of throws on other clips that look absolutely fine - people panic every year when lamar gets to camp but wobble isn't inherently bad

and calling these throws ducks is a bit of a misnomer - it's not like the ball's flight is going weird because of the wobble... if the ball was hitting a wall in mid-air before it got to the receivers then it'd be an issue but it's not...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting that Marty tried to change it. I don’t remember Kurt‘s footballs ever coming out wobbly which is also strange to me

because the index finger positioning isn't really to do with the wobble tbh - and while people consistently panic about the wobble in the offseason - how often do we see it as a problem in the regular season

only complaints i saw in 2020 about lamar's mechanics were about letting his shoulder drop too often when he had time

JAAM

Hall of Famer
because the index finger positioning isn't really to do with the wobble tbh - and while people consistently panic about the wobble in the offseason - how often do we see it as a problem in the regular season

only complaints i saw in 2020 about lamar's mechanics were about letting his shoulder drop too often when he had time
Completely agree. I’m just in love with the beauty of a tight spiral. So why do you think they come out wobbly then?

You mean those side-arms he kept trying to hit early in the season for no reason? Those drove me nuts. So inaccurate and so unnecessary.

Reactions: cdp