• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mock Central

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
just a place to discuss mocks seen from the media.

So Walter seems to be up to the usual regarding the ravens, being as trendy as possible. He had us taking Calvin Ridley and bo scarbrough 1 and 2 for weeks, and now it's Ronnie Harrison and tony brown. He even admits it's best Alabama player available, that's his reasoning for us.

This looks like the first year in a while that I'm gonna search for a new draft outlet, they got trendy last year as well giving us a RB in the second every week for the entire offseason and just rotated rb names. They started out dogshit and improved greatly and went back to dogshit.

Anyone know good outlets?

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I like drafttek. I know their rankings can be really skewed but when they keep up more often when draft season rolls around theyre a little more accurate with their rankings.

They have us taking: 15th overall
1. Martinas Rankin (passed on Ridley and Nelson (who they have ranked in the 30s lol he wen 30th to pittsburg ugh..)

(I didnt want to fit the whole reasoning)

"Despite being 13th in the league in completion percetage, Baltimore is 31st in yards per attempt. Only Chicago, which has featured inexperienced quarterbacks, has similar numbers. So, either the problem is the team's lack of confidence in the QB, or there is a belief that the OL needs to be compensated for. Without a change in QB, it does make sense for the Ravens to bolster this unit with a big, versatile prospect like Rankin. Another receiver, given Breshad Perriman looking like a bust so far with just a 23.5% receptions per target, is a possibility."

2. Royce Freeman

3. Rick Leonard (idk)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
just a place to discuss mocks seen from the media.

So Walter seems to be up to the usual regarding the ravens, being as trendy as possible. He had us taking Calvin Ridley and bo scarbrough 1 and 2 for weeks, and now it's Ronnie Harrison and tony brown. He even admits it's best Alabama player available, that's his reasoning for us.

This looks like the first year in a while that I'm gonna search for a new draft outlet, they got trendy last year as well giving us a RB in the second every week for the entire offseason and just rotated rb names. They started out dogshit and improved greatly and went back to dogshit.

Anyone know good outlets?
He should just admit he has absolutely no information from us. If he hits he gets lucky and that’s it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
im pretty sure that this offseason proved to me that literally not a single mock guy is any good or useful anymore

however going back and looking at some of them it does look like mike mayock, charlie casserley and lance zierlein were on the right track with a lot of prospects in terms of how they ranked them positionally in some cases - these are the 3 guys i noticed who got marlon humphrey much closer to the right spot than i would have thought pre-draft in terms of their thinking - most had him going to the saints with lattimore off the board already

ill look at matt miller's notes and ill probably read lance zierlein's scout notes too (especially the ones where he references nfl sources - normally really interesting) and mayock's rankings are normally intriguing too - casserley's a useful voice because of his former gm roots too - that being said the mock drafts arent particularly good from any media from what ive seen

literally everyone had fournette, mccaffrey, adoree jackson was one i saw a few times and obviously garrett was a no brainer
that being said - the big ones - the qbs no one got even remotely close to - the wrs no one even got remotely right in terms of quality/value/draft position

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
im pretty sure that this offseason proved to me that literally not a single mock guy is any good or useful anymore

however going back and looking at some of them it does look like mike mayock, charlie casserley and lance zierlein were on the right track with a lot of prospects in terms of how they ranked them positionally in some cases - these are the 3 guys i noticed who got marlon humphrey much closer to the right spot than i would have thought pre-draft in terms of their thinking - most had him going to the saints with lattimore off the board already

ill look at matt miller's notes and ill probably read lance zierlein's scout notes too (especially the ones where he references nfl sources - normally really interesting) and mayock's rankings are normally intriguing too - casserley's a useful voice because of his former gm roots too - that being said the mock drafts arent particularly good from any media from what ive seen

literally everyone had fournette, mccaffrey, adoree jackson was one i saw a few times and obviously garrett was a no brainer
that being said - the big ones - the qbs no one got even remotely close to - the wrs no one even got remotely right in terms of quality/value/draft position

Although they may not always be right. I like DJ and Bucky. I like them in that they kinda go against each other often and prefer some prospects over others. Bucky was one of the few who really liked Humphrey and called him a great scheme fit for us at the combine. He can be way off on some prospects but who isnt.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Although they may not always be right. I like DJ and Bucky. I like them in that they kinda go against each other often and prefer some prospects over others. Bucky was one of the few who really liked Humphrey and called him a great scheme fit for us at the combine. He can be way off on some prospects but who isnt.

i like DJ although im not the biggest fan of his mocking and the way he talks about some players rubs me the wrong way but yeah id agree that DJ is pretty good

i cant stand bucky - how that guy ever had a job scouting is beyond me - he so often parrots DJ or sounds like a parody of himself just talking in vague cliches about every single prospect - he is beyond frustrating to listen to and equally as difficult to read - what's worse is i dont think he has any sources for his mocks or anything which is crazy that no one talks to him given what his old job was

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i like DJ although im not the biggest fan of his mocking and the way he talks about some players rubs me the wrong way but yeah id agree that DJ is pretty good

i cant stand bucky - how that guy ever had a job scouting is beyond me - he so often parrots DJ or sounds like a parody of himself just talking in vague cliches about every single prospect - he is beyond frustrating to listen to and equally as difficult to read - what's worse is i dont think he has any sources for his mocks or anything which is crazy that no one talks to him given what his old job was

I remember him on Colin cowherds show not too long ago and he talked totally different. Maybe NFL network wants him to use cliches so average fans are entertained??? Idk, but he had good insight on the Herd

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I remember him on Colin cowherds show not too long ago and he talked totally different. Maybe NFL network wants him to use cliches so average fans are entertained??? Idk, but he had good insight on the Herd

its just that ill hear bucky talk about a prospect and feel like i trust nothing he said about them and then i hear DJ and Mayock and Zierlein say stuff about the same prospect backed up with league sources, or actual analysis and i trust them way more

i just get the impression with bucky that half the time he just throws names out there in his mocks or whatever...

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
its just that ill hear bucky talk about a prospect and feel like i trust nothing he said about them and then i hear DJ and Mayock and Zierlein say stuff about the same prospect backed up with league sources, or actual analysis and i trust them way more

i just get the impression with bucky that half the time he just throws names out there in his mocks or whatever...
Brooks was always bad. Since they started that 2-man show, Jeremiah's evaluation went to shit, too. They sound like they never have time to actually watch the tape.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I always like Mike Mayock. Feel he is normally the most accurate from year to year. I also like Casserly for the same reason @rossihunter2 likes him, because of his roots as a GM for both the Skins and Texans as well as a scout. I like DJ as well and a few other sources.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Walterfootball has us taking back to back defensive DBs from Alabama. I would lose it if we go defense back to back again

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Walterfootball has us taking back to back defensive DBs from Alabama. I would lose it if we go defense back to back again
They are tools on that site and have absolutely no info on us. Don’t even pay attention to them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brooks was always bad. Since they started that 2-man show, Jeremiah's evaluation went to shit, too. They sound like they never have time to actually watch the tape.

they spend all their time going to the occasional live game but mostly they just talk about qbs or 1 or 2 stars over and over again - i definitely cant remember the last time they discussed an olineman

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I always enjoy reading mocks no matter how wrong or silly they may look. That said, if we draft Tony Brown in the second I'll print an Ozzie pic, eat a whole indian meal and shit it all on the pic.

I sometimes bitch about Bucky, but I think all NFL.com analysts are interesting in their analysis and they're fun to read.

Matt Miller and Connor Rogers are the GOAT though.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I always enjoy reading mocks no matter how wrong or silly they may look. That said, if we draft Tony Brown in the second I'll print an Ozzie pic, eat a whole indian meal and shit it all on the pic.

I sometimes bitch about Bucky, but I think all NFL.com analysts are interesting in their analysis and they're fun to read.

Matt Miller and Connor Rogers are the GOAT though.

what's crazy to me in terms of workload is that lance zierlein writes up every single draft profile for nfl.com every year and very rarely do you find a prospect without one

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
what's crazy to me in terms of workload is that lance zierlein writes up every single draft profile for nfl.com every year and very rarely do you find a prospect without one
Lance is a good read, you can tell he really goes deeper into his analysis than most do.