• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mock Central

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I feel like these guys are comparable if you narrow them down. The Ponder/ Rosen type of QB is a smart and intelligent guy who probably doesn't have much room to grown further as a passer. But you know what you're getting on draft day with this type of qb.
My Gabbert/Darnold comp is probably because I'm not high on Darnold. They both got the size and right tools. But they still need to grow as a NFL QB. Gabbert was mobile and knew how to make play out of the pocket. The anti-Newton fraction had him as QB1.
Kap and Jackson are both very athletic guys, but there were/are questions how their play will translate to the NFL level. But we all know if they're figuring it out it ends up being lethal.

that rosen/ponder comparison still doesnt jive - rosen is already a better qb than ponder was and absolutely has room to grow - remember that he was working with nothing at receiver and swiss cheese for an offensive line and still passed with anticipation and was the most effective passer down field of all the qbs in this class despite allen and darnold having the flashy cannon arm talent - rosen is absolutely the most pro-ready but that doesnt mean he has a low ceiling as a prospect - on the contrary i think his intelligence and evidence of anticipation and nuanced understanding of defences and the playbook suggest his ceiling is incredibly high and as long as his body holds he's more likely to reach it than the other guys

im not darnold's number 1 fan but he's still miles ahead of gabbert - the only similarity is that they are both sneaky very athletic - but darnold has a cannon and takes risks and is dynamic throwing the ball down field - gabbert literally had the gabbert-zone named after him (when a qb averages 5 ypa or less)

kap and jackson arent really similar either - jackson's a better athlete and better at keeping his eyes downfield and scrambling to pass rather than run - kaep had a cannon and you could argue that jackson hasnt shown a huge amount of touch (albeit he's started presenting touch passes to scouts etc through this offseason as well as working from under center so you know he already knows and is working on improving those aspects) there's also a much higher accuracy upside with jackson if you can sort his mechanics whereas kaep just had a 1 dimensional stare-down cannon but was only effective in RPO whereas jackson seems scheme diverse to me

the other thing to remember is that in 2011 teams were trying to manufacture round 1 qbs by elevating day 2/3 guys with elite traits and selling themselves on the idea that they were round 1 talents and they got burned

in 2018 some teams might be hoping to elevate these qbs but they are projecting forwards with guys who already have the talent - theres a difference between raising someone 2-3 rounds in the draft (like gabbert who had 4th round grades from a lot of scouts and organisations at the time) and raising someone maximum 10 spots (darnold may go number 1 but would but would be a top 20 player on virtually every nfl board and likely top 5-10)

there's really no comparison between the classes at all - and any comparison really is disingenuous

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Look Im not saying Rosen has the same potential/ceiling as Ponder. They fall into the same category. There is a lot of talk that scouts believe that Rosen's already maxed out as a Qb. That's where I'm coming from.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Look Im not saying Rosen has the same potential/ceiling as Ponder. They fall into the same category. There is a lot of talk that scouts believe that Rosen's already maxed out as a Qb. That's where I'm coming from.

ive not seen any talk in that sense - the only knocks ive seen from scouts/media about rosen are 1 of 2 things:
  1. the being an asshole/millennial/intelligence thing (which i dont buy at all - and if that does cause him to drop then there'd better be a load of teams' front offices/coaching staffs fired soon after)
  2. the concussions and missed playing time (which absolutely could be a concern but its not like its a degenerative knee/shoulder that would precipitate a drop like jonathan allen last year or jaylon smith or myles jack in 2016)

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
ive not seen any talk in that sense - the only knocks ive seen from scouts/media about rosen are 1 of 2 things:
  1. the being an asshole/millennial/intelligence thing (which i dont buy at all - and if that does cause him to drop then there'd better be a load of teams' front offices/coaching staffs fired soon after)
  2. the concussions and missed playing time (which absolutely could be a concern but its not like its a degenerative knee/shoulder that would precipitate a drop like jonathan allen last year or jaylon smith or myles jack in 2016)
I think it’s fair for teams to be afraid that he might be the next Andrew Luck. (Not in terms of talent but in terms of never playing)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think it’s fair for teams to be afraid that he might be the next Andrew Luck. (Not in terms of talent but in terms of never playing)

i mean andrew luck had a problem that should have been dealt with a year earlier than it was which fucked it up more and its important to note that luck for a couple of years was playing as well as any qb in the league and if he hadnt had a bum as a gm not putting any talent around him or spending any money trying to not have him on the turf they may well have won a superbowl in that run and also probably would still have luck

its a risk for any qb when you have an awful oline, but its only marginally more of a risk with a guy like rosen - im much more worried about the concussions than his body frame

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Considering healthy Bradford is arguably a top 5 QB I think that’s a pretty high floor haha
I wouldnt say top 5 lol. Either way hes never on the feild because hes a statue in the pocket. As a prospect though i think they are very similar comming into the league

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Jeremiah's mock has us taking Hayden Hurst. That's very rich.

That said if we trade back (and I'm starting to believe we could) that would be a great pick,.

Jeremiah's mock has us taking Hayden Hurst. That's very rich.

That said if we trade back (and I'm starting to believe we could) that would be a great pick,.
Makes no sense in the first round, he isn’t even the best TE in the draft. Plus investing in a 25 year old TE when the season starts doesn’t benefit us at all. Add another season or two when TEs actually start producing he’ll be 27. He seems physically maxed out and his routes get jumped on by defenders. Bad investment of a 1st round pick.

Last edited:

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Yeah I saw them talk about that sort of situation - dj said the ravens could trade back 5-7 spots and still pick him up

He also gave the ravens dj Moore in the 2nd so...
I wouldn't be that surprised if Moore ends up a second rounder. I think he's becoming overrated and he's the 4th receiver on my board.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't be that surprised if Moore ends up a second rounder. I think he's becoming overrated and he's the 4th receiver on my board.
Hes still my 2 but I agree I think the media(and ravens fans specifically) are overrating him.

Still think he'd be worth a late first, if we took him at 16 I wouldn't hate it. Would reach on gesicki before reaching on Moore though

UKRaven

Practice Squad
Hes still my 2 but I agree I think the media(and ravens fans specifically) are overrating him.

Still think he'd be worth a late first, if we took him at 16 I wouldn't hate it. Would reach on gesicki before reaching on Moore though

Agree, if we reach I would rather it be at TE then for Moore. I think come draft night Moore will end up going 30-40 range despite the hype