• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Mock Central

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Same here.. I didn't have closely the same free time I used to have, thus couldn't dig into later prospect and have a bunch of horses. But I find this class particularly underwhelming, honestly. Sure, once the cards are unfolded I'll go back to our players' tapes and choose which I like the better, but it ain't be as nerves wrecking when it comes to the moment we make our selection

It’s a much less deep class than last year which was an unbelievably deep class

But yeah I also feel less nervous about this year - I feel like I’d be happy with virtually any pick we make at 16 given the calibre of player that will be there - I’ll be worried if after our 3rd pick we haven’t added a single receiver but I find that an unlikely proposition

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Remember when we signed Brandon Carr last season no one thought we were going CB. We also don’t have receivers after 2018 that I can say for sure will be on the roster.
That’s not 100% true. Due to Carr’s contract having team options every year after year one I thought there was a very good chance we would draft a cb, if avaialble, in the first round. Others thought the same.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s a much less deep class than last year which was an unbelievably deep class

But yeah I also feel less nervous about this year - I feel like I’d be happy with virtually any pick we make at 16 given the calibre of player that will be there - I’ll be worried if after our 3rd pick we haven’t added a single receiver but I find that an unlikely proposition
I prefer the depth in this class. I remember last year, getting to pick one in round four, looking at the board and there was nothing, particularly so far as the offense was concerned.

This year there should be great WR, ILB, QB value in later rounds.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I prefer the depth in this class. I remember last year, getting to pick one in round four, looking at the board and there was nothing, particularly so far as the offense was concerned.

This year there should be great WR, ILB, QB value in later rounds.

i completely disagree - there was outrageous talent still available in the 4th round last year vs this year - we might have meh guys going in the 3rd round this year whereas last year we had guys with legitimate 1st/2nd round talent going in day 2 and 3

Simba

Staff Member
i completely disagree - there was outrageous talent still available in the 4th round last year vs this year - we might have meh guys going in the 3rd round this year whereas last year we had guys with legitimate 1st/2nd round talent going in day 2 and 3

Agreed. Normally I have a pretty solid number of late round guys that I like. All of the late round guys I liked this year are now being looked at as day 2 picks. This is a weak class. It's not 2013 weak but it's one of the weaker ones in the last few years, in my opinion.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Agreed. Normally I have a pretty solid number of late round guys that I like. All of the late round guys I liked this year are now being looked at as day 2 picks. This is a weak class. It's not 2013 weak but it's one of the weaker ones in the last few years, in my opinion.

it feels comparable to 2015 - its not bad as a year in and of itself but it feels worse because of how deep the year before it was

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see 2017 as deep. Not at all. Sure, you get Lawson in the fourth....a few others but not much in rounds 5-7.
Plus I hear you can get a pretty great punter from this class.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't see 2017 as deep. Not at all. Sure, you get Lawson in the fourth....a few others but not much in rounds 5-7.
Plus I hear you can get a pretty great punter from this class.

comparatively this year is way less stacked than last year down the stretch

i think i had over 100 grades worthy of round 3 selection or higher but this year ive only got around 90
i had around 30 first round grades last year, i've only got 21 this year
i had about 30 extra ravens draftable players last year and that's even though the ravens stopped picking in the 6th round rather than the 7th

at every grade there were more draftable players last year than this year

you could argue that the top end talents are better this year and that the top 20 or so players overall might be better this year but the depth was much better throughout last year's class

and in terms of depth in round 3 last year here's some examples of good players beyond just lawson:

dede westbrook (undraftable for the ravens but a good player)
tedric thompson
eddie jackson
carl lawson
tarik cohen
howard wilson
ryan switzer
deatrich wise jr
matt milano
carlos watkins
marlon mack
george kittle
desmond king
jordan leggett
jake elliot
jayon brown
trent taylor
davon godchaux
chuck clark

and these are just guys who've made fairly significant contributions already - there are other developmental guys who've looked good but havent played much yet as well as other highly touted players who are stuck in deep position groups but that list is pretty good for a rookie day 3 class already

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If anyone wants a good ol' laugh go and look at Chad Reuter's 7 round mock in full and just look at how awful his first round is but ill post the ravens picks here:

1: Leighton Vander-Esch (lol)
2: Nick Chubb
3: Ian Thomas
4: Justin Watson
5: Scott Queesenberry
6 (1): Mike Love
6 (2): Amari Coleman
7: Deontay Burnett...

at every single spot outside of maybe the 3rd round and the 7th round have a look at the players who were also available...
that 1st round pick is outrageous

That’s not 100% true. Due to Carr’s contract having team options every year after year one I thought there was a very good chance we would draft a cb, if avaialble, in the first round. Others thought the same.
Don’t think so everyone was hoping Corey Davis or Mike Williams were going to fall to the Ravens. I was hoping Barnett was going to be the pick nobody thought we were going CB. Heck we didn’t even meet with Humphrey.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Don’t think so everyone was hoping Corey Davis or Mike Williams were going to fall to the Ravens. I was hoping Barnett was going to be the pick nobody thought we were going CB. Heck we didn’t even meet with Humphrey.
I think I was one of the few that actually liked Humphrey. I thought if we went Bama though it would've been Foster. (I am happy we didn't as he still has several issues to sort out) but I always have liked Humphrey's burst as a corner. He has such fast closing speed and hits way harder than his size should be able to.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I was certainly in favor of Davis, but wanted Hassan Reddick. That being said I was a big fan of Humphrey heading into the draft as well Tre White, and Marcus Lattimore. I said that I thought CB was still a need due to Carr's team friendly contract and ability to cut after year one or two and wouldn't have an issue with taking one of the top CBs and I know many others thought the same as well.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
if the charges against him are true - he probably should be locked up for real not just into his team compound
Very true which is why I do think that the team has been good recently being careful with players with this type of background. People give the Ravens a hard time for not going for someone like Randy Gregory or him recently after people think that we need to go back to being a thug team. It just backfires one too many times. And I LOVED Foster probably more than anyone and wanted him here. But when I heard Humphrey was the pick I actually was very content with that pick. Those off the field issue guys need to be on the field to play anyway. And Foster may never get to play again.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Very true which is why I do think that the team has been good recently being careful with players with this type of background. People give the Ravens a hard time for not going for someone like Randy Gregory or him recently after people think that we need to go back to being a thug team. It just backfires one too many times. And I LOVED Foster probably more than anyone and wanted him here. But when I heard Humphrey was the pick I actually was very content with that pick. Those off the field issue guys need to be on the field to play anyway. And Foster may never get to play again.

organisations (for the most part) that have tempted fate with these awful human beings are liable to have those decisions blow up in their faces

i want the ravens to be successful but not at all costs - i dont care how good value guys like joe mixon/dede westbrook/tyreek hill/antonio callaway end up being - i dont want the ravens to "reward" that behaviour by drafting these guys - if the outcome of the ray rice incident is that the ravens come away with a zero tolerance policy towards DV and sexual violence then its a good lesson to learn - i dont want to feel bad about my fandom by having to root for awful people who've done awful things

Sooky

Pro Bowler
organisations (for the most part) that have tempted fate with these awful human beings are liable to have those decisions blow up in their faces

i want the ravens to be successful but not at all costs - i dont care how good value guys like joe mixon/dede westbrook/tyreek hill/antonio callaway end up being - i dont want the ravens to "reward" that behaviour by drafting these guys - if the outcome of the ray rice incident is that the ravens come away with a zero tolerance policy towards DV and sexual violence then its a good lesson to learn - i dont want to feel bad about my fandom by having to root for awful people who've done awful things
I have had the same password for most things for YEARS. It has to do with Ray Rice's number in it (27). Each time I type it in I feel like I am a terrible person but I am too lazy to change all passwords lol

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have had the same password for most things for YEARS. It has to do with Ray Rice's number in it (27). Each time I type it in I feel like I am a terrible person but I am too lazy to change all passwords lol
Well Ray isn't even a terrible person so I don't think you need to think you are a terrible person...