• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

Tru11

Practice Squad
You can call it a switch, you can call him clutch, you could it potato mode for all it matters. When the moment is big he plays great. The problem is all the moments in between for some reason or another he looks average. I said it in my last post some players just rise to the occasion and some are great until that occasion happens and then they fold.

Also at 4-5 they are the favorites to take the 6 seed being only 1 game behind Buffalo and tiebreakers over the other 2 4-5 teams with Buffalo about to collapse so yes its fair to talk about playoffs.

last time this dude was clutch was in 2012.

nowadays he just casually walks on the field on the final drive with the clock running and we need a score.....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I still can't....I'm still done....

Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif
C
Does that 'clutch gene' you speak of that Joe supposedly possesses turn on only for 'clutch playoff' games? Because I am certain that they seem to be totally dark during regular season 'clutch moments' where he could win a game for us with 'clutch play'. So would you like to qualify the clutch gene to be a 'playoff clutch gene' instead?
he can’t have it during regular season unless he pays a larger service fee. Until he does that he will only have the ability during the playoffs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
last time this dude was clutch was in 2012.

nowadays he just casually walks on the field on the final drive with the clock running and we need a score.....
Actually 2014 playoffs he was clutch, for the Steelers and Pats game, but the secondary gave this game up.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
These guys just can’t seem to stay on the field. How do you come out of a 2 week break without the starting LT that no one even knew was injured. UFR

I'm serious man!

They don't make NFL players like they use to! These cats in today's game are way too brittle for me!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm serious man!

They don't make NFL players like they use to! These cats in today's game are way too brittle for me!
Supposedly he had he concussion at the end of the Titans game. That being said, I agree. I think these supplements that these players take, illegally, is weakening them long term. That being said, years ago, concussion or not, the players were playing the game the the detriment of their health,

Tru11

Practice Squad
Actually 2014 playoffs he was clutch, for the Steelers and Pats game, but the secondary gave this game up.

i dont call it clutch when someone throws it in double coverage for an game sealing INT, with enough time of the clock and other players in single coverage with 1 being wide open.

seriously we where on the pats 36 yard line with 1:45 left.
it was 2nd and 5 as well.

it was a very dumb decision and it went downhill rather quick after that .

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont call it clutch when someone throws it in double coverage for an game sealing INT, with enough time of the clock and other players in single coverage with 1 being wide open.

Any decent WR and that ball falls incomplete and the reason you take what should be a safe shot is because its 2nd and 5. You have 2 downs to get 5 yards after that play, which means you take that play to keep the defense scared of going deep so they don't play only short routes.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Any decent WR and that ball falls incomplete and the reason you take what should be a safe shot is because its 2nd and 5. You have 2 downs to get 5 yards after that play, which means you take that play to keep the defense scared of going deep so they don't play only short routes.
LMAO! You can talk common sense until the cows come home, some just don’t have any.

Was it a smart pass to throw at that juncture? I think that’s debatable, but your logic makes sense. At the worst it should have been an incomplete pass, line back up for 3rd and 5. As was mentioned earlier that type of play happens all the time in the NFL and the receiver becomes defender to break up the play.

Being a big supporter of UMD athletics I’ve always been a huge Torrey Smith fan, but he had a serious lapse of brain activity on that play and the turnover was his fault. There’s really no debating that fact.

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I fought this one hard after it happened.

I remember there was a facebook video of someone analyzing the play and Torrey completely stopped tracking the ball, pulled up in stride, and then braced for impact against the corner. At worst, it's an incomplete pass. At best, it's a touchdown or DPI.

I hate this logic of just taking the first down. You DO NOT pass up points if there is an opportunity for points. You don't know if you'll score.

I'm a VT fan and today they played Pitt. Pitt went 74 yards on a pass play and got down to the 1 with the game on the line. Four plays and the game is over if Pitt scores or if VT stops them. From the 1 yard line, the Panthers failed to score in four plays.

We can't sit here and actually assume the Ravens were better off going for the first down rather than the points. The Ravens hadn't scored since the third quarter and hadn't scored for almost 24 minutes to that point. They were on a scoring drought and had difficulties even stopping the Patriots. You do not pass up the opportunity for points, especially not in a playoff game.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
It isn't as if Torrey was wide open. He was double covered. Torrey shoulda at least attempted to knock it down. But it was a terrible decision to throw to torrey

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Oh I totally agree. He definitely screwed that up. Definitely didn’t have to go for it all at that moment. remember it like it was yesterday. However the defense didn’t need to give up two 14 point leads either.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It isn't as if Torrey was wide open. He was double covered. Torrey shoulda at least attempted to knock it down. But it was a terrible decision to throw to torrey
Believe @Truth had a post on that and that showed it was much more on Flacco than on Torrey at that point.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Believe @Truth had a post on that and that showed it was much more on Flacco than on Torrey at that point.
Well, that ain’t “ the truth”. lol If it were just an incomplete pass, it would be more on Flacco. The pick is on Torrey as he simply gave up on the ball which a receiver cannot do in that situation. Do you realize how many passes would be intercepted if all receivers did the same? It’s not rocket science.

Last edited:

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm serious man!

No they aren't any less brittle. They are more pampered and earn a whole lot more. And refuse to play if their pinkie is hurt! The truth is they just have much less heart for the game.

Tru11

Practice Squad

any decent QB throws it to the guy open and not in double coverage or at least throw it to the sideline and not towards where the safety is.....

the defense was already scared cause they had a guy 20 yards deep already before the snap.
they where not playing the short routes.
short routes where in single coverage.

it was dumb decision period.

Tru11

Practice Squad
Oh I totally agree. He definitely screwed that up. Definitely didn’t have to go for it all at that moment. remember it like it was yesterday. However the defense didn’t need to give up two 14 point leads either.

true.

pats exposed melvin big time in that game.
elam also.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I fought this one hard after it happened.

I remember there was a facebook video of someone analyzing the play and Torrey completely stopped tracking the ball, pulled up in stride, and then braced for impact against the corner. At worst, it's an incomplete pass. At best, it's a touchdown or DPI.

I hate this logic of just taking the first down. You DO NOT pass up points if there is an opportunity for points. You don't know if you'll score.

I'm a VT fan and today they played Pitt. Pitt went 74 yards on a pass play and got down to the 1 with the game on the line. Four plays and the game is over if Pitt scores or if VT stops them. From the 1 yard line, the Panthers failed to score in four plays.

We can't sit here and actually assume the Ravens were better off going for the first down rather than the points. The Ravens hadn't scored since the third quarter and hadn't scored for almost 24 minutes to that point. They were on a scoring drought and had difficulties even stopping the Patriots. You do not pass up the opportunity for points, especially not in a playoff game.
Exactly. People forget that we won the fucking super bowl because joe made those ballsy decisions often, in big moments when so many qbs are gonna be patient and take what's given, joe said fuck that and took the ballsy shot at the slimmest of opportunities and it paid off. People bash joe for that throw while also bashing him for checking down the past 2 seasons. It wasn't a dumb throw, it was a risky and ballsy throw and it's a shot he takes more often than not, after years of making that throw in similar situations and getting countless tds and PIs from it we just continue doing what we do, the worst case scenario is Torrey does what's expected and prevents the int, best case we win on that very play. I still don't get people bashing joe for that, it may have been double coverage but at the time of the release it was "bracketed" coverage at best, and it should've been an easy routine play to prevent the int. Torrey straight up brain farted and lost his balls on that play.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, that ain’t “ the truth”. lol If it were just an incomplete pass, it would be more on Flacco. The pick is on Torrey as he simply gave up on the ball which a receiver cannot do in that situation. Do you realize how many passes would be intercepted if all receivers did the same? It’s not rocket science.
this is true if Torrey could have played defense on the ball. No question he could have tried harder to knock the ball away, but I’m not sure if he could have. That’s why I’d like to have @Truth relook up on game pass or repost what he did in the past.