• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Dennis Pitta - Designed Offense is 1 Read and Check Down

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We see what happens when we do multiple reads...protection doesn't hold up then a sack happens.

I hate our offense to, but thats purely do to a bad oline and trying to fit the offense to a bad oline

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
SO IT IS EXACTLY AS WE THOUGHT THE PLAY FUCKING CALLING SUCKS

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
"Players have to go out there and play great. They have to execute," coach John Harbaugh said. "If you're talking about offense -- we need to complete passes, we need to run the ball well, we need to protect our quarterback, we need to go up and make catches, we need to execute, we need first downs, we need to score points. It's not about playcalling; it's about all of us together, going out there and playing winning football in all three phases.”

LMFAO FUCK JOHN

ALI624

Pro Bowler
I feel like I'm watching a high school game that the starting QB gets hurt and the backup RB is forced to play QB and instead of one read and check it down it's one read and take off.

PurpleGecko

Practice Squad
I feel like I'm watching a high school game that the starting QB gets hurt and the backup RB is forced to play QB and instead of one read and check it down it's one read and take off.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I can't think of many offenses other than High school that only have 1 primary read for the QB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i dont know that our oline has been bad enough that we have to stick to just 1 read as a primary option - there's a time and a place to use a quick passing offence but its not a successful way to run an offence - its a good way for example to get a rookie/backup qb into the game with some early short passes to open 1st reads but otherwise its not an effective offence - brett hundley vs the lions is a case in point to use a recent example

but our oline in certain games has given our offence plenty of time and we still either only send 2 guys out on routes hoping to open it up for a te screen - and so many of our deep shots are 1 reads into checkdowns rather than scanning multiple routes playing out and seeing who's open - i think part of the problem with our deep balls is that we dont really let routes develop before throwing the pass not necessarily due to pressure but partially due to an impatiently schemed offence

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Joe had plenty of time on play action passes. Just an example to show the OL can provide him with plenty of time as long as the opposing front seven isn't the Vikings or the Jags.

Curiously he's shown he can very patiently go through his progressions in those situations as well.

Don't overthink it. It's just trash play calling. And it's not Harbs, it's Marty. It is Harbs' fault for keeping Marty though.

The Raven

Veteran
There are high school offenses with more than one read. Marty should be fired and barred from the sport of football, Harbaugh should quit out of shame, and Flacco should be egged publicly for taking part in this embarrassment.

Last edited:
I really like it when former players offer their perspective on things like this because they have a bigger idea of the situation. I think Pitta is completely right here and it just feels like our offense is built like this. Completely predictable and I’m happy he came out and said this.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I really like it when former players offer their perspective on things like this because they have a bigger idea of the situation. I think Pitta is completely right here and it just feels like our offense is built like this. Completely predictable and I’m happy he came out and said this.

its even more valid given that he was literally a part of this offence until this training camp

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Flacco is a quarterback that can open things up if you let him. Stop holding the guy back. He will make a bad interception like he did last game every once in awhile. But this offense will continue with its 3 and outs if they continue this. Teams have caught onto it.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
This also explains why you don't see Flacco running like he used to. I know people don't see Flacco as a 'mobile' guy but he is faster than given credit. In 2014 with Kubiak he ran quite a bit for first downs when there were broken plays. He does awkwardly slide for whatever reason, probably still the brace. This explains why the offense is so vanilla, as well as why the offense has looked so terrible the past two years. Let your $20 million dollar quarterback open up the offense with his arm. It won't happen with him only looking at one read then getting rid of the ball.

This also explains why you don't see Flacco running like he used to. I know people don't see Flacco as a 'mobile' guy but he is faster than given credit. In 2014 with Kubiak he ran quite a bit for first downs when there were broken plays. He does awkwardly slide for whatever reason, probably still the brace. This explains why the offense is so vanilla, as well as why the offense has looked so terrible the past two years. Let your $20 million dollar quarterback open up the offense with his arm. It won't happen with him only looking at one read then getting rid of the ball.
I think a lot of his lack of mobility comes from the brace.