• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The MLB Offseason Thread

Somerset Ravens

Pro Bowler
Hey @Lost_In_Translation that sucks about Justin Turner.

What do you guys think about Anthony Santander?

Santander has been quite a pleasant surprise in spring training. A switch hitter with power is a major plus, hopefully he can hit major league pitching consistently, which I think he will. His improvement in the outfield is what has impressed me most.
He is not a gold glover but he has been solid in the field. It looks like losing 15 pounds has helped him.

O

OriolesMagicPlease

Santander has been quite a pleasant surprise in spring training. A switch hitter with power is a major plus, hopefully he can hit major league pitching consistently, which I think he will. His improvement in the outfield is what has impressed me most.
He is not a gold glover but he has been solid in the field. It looks like losing 15 pounds has helped him.

I will take solid in the field. And I heard that he lost the weight to get faster, sounds like it worked. I am hopeful!

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
Don't get me wrong, I am happy we signed Cobb. But isn't anyone worried about the four years? You know, like he could turn into Ubaldo 2.0?
I am very scared of Ubaldo 2.0, but I have to give some love to the O’s for spending some money and trying to compete this year. I like this lineup so much better than last year, I hope it leads to a lot more wins! Go O’s!

O

OriolesMagicPlease

I am very scared of Ubaldo 2.0, but I have to give some love to the O’s for spending some money and trying to compete this year. I like this lineup so much better than last year, I hope it leads to a lot more wins! Go O’s!

I agree, just a little nervous. Ubaldo wrecked me. :p

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Don't get me wrong, I am happy we signed Cobb. But isn't anyone worried about the four years? You know, like he could turn into Ubaldo 2.0?
I agree with what @cobrajet said. 4 years may be a worry, but it's better than going with Castro, Cortes, or Wright as the 5th starter. And if Tillman can bounce back, the rotation isn't looking too bad right now.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

I'm not quite as concerned. Cobb has been steady while Ubaldo was always up and down. Cobb is also very familiar with the ALEast.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I question how Cobb will be pitching in Camden Yards for half the games but he is still a definite upgrade over Castro, Wright, Ynoa, or whoever we were going to throw out as the 5th starter. As long as our starters can get to the bullpen so those guys aren't overworked this year, we should be in good shape

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I was surprised he made the team, I thought he would be sent to the minors to work on his catching. I guess his left handed bat is too valuable to not bring hom north with the O’s.

How good is his defense? Calling games and throwing baserunners out. His bat is definitely good but I do worry about defense since it seems like our pitchers can never hold runners.