• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Draft Predictions

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I wouldn’t mind Marshall at the 1st pick as long as it wasn’t instead of Bateman or Elijah Moore - that would truly hurt me lol

but if those guys were gone and Marshall’s our first pick I wouldn’t have a problem with it - would feel to me a lot like how it would have felt taking tee Higgins last year
I'd rather have Marshall than Moore

Since Marshall is the topic today I’ll share my irrelevant thoughts: last night I went down a YouTube rabbit hole which lead to me watching college highlights on Lamar and couldn’t help but notice he seemed comfortable putting the ball up for 50/50 balls to his Louisville wideouts. Those guys all seemed to be big guys however, 6’2+ and this led me to thinking... does Lamar do this often in the NFL? Yes, He trust Mark Andrews in these situations and Willie to a lesser extent. Anyways, as I continued down this rabbit hole I landed on Terrace Marshall film and he was winning in those situations consistently. Now, I’ve been against Marshall being the pick at 27 (admittedly because I’m infatuated with Bateman) but I’m coming around to the idea and would honestly be excited to add his skill set to the offense.

What’s your guys thoughts on him as a prospect? His fit in the offense?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Since Marshall is the topic today I’ll share my irrelevant thoughts: last night I went down a YouTube rabbit hole which lead to me watching college highlights on Lamar and couldn’t help but notice he seemed comfortable putting the ball up for 50/50 balls to his Louisville wideouts. Those guys all seemed to be big guys however, 6’2+ and this led me to thinking... does Lamar do this often in the NFL? Yes, He trust Mark Andrews in these situations and Willie to a lesser extent. Anyways, as I continued down this rabbit hole I landed on Terrace Marshall film and he was winning in those situations consistently. Now, I’ve been against Marshall being the pick at 27 (admittedly because I’m infatuated with Bateman) but I’m coming around to the idea and would honestly be excited to add his skill set to the offense.

What’s your guys thoughts on him as a prospect? His fit in the offense?

i love the movement skills and speed at his size - has the long strides to run away from guys vertically both before and after the catch but also has the quickness in short areas and explosion/suddenness to be a factor underneath and with his route-running

he uses his length well at the catch-point - especially in the redzone

route tree was limited - especially in 2019 so obviously you need to do some projection - and i see elements of route running process in his game that would translate - his use of route-pacing, head-fakes and his ability to cut sharply and flatten - i'd like to see him play through contact more consistently and it looks like he was protected from press coverage by the scheme a lot in college so that would be a reservation i have - but he uses his stem well at times to get on top of the corner's toes and set up his breaks and has the ability to jab and cut at speed and stacks really well on vertical routes - there's some inconsistency at the break-point where he sometimes drifts out of his break especially underneath

my 2 concerns would be how he plays through contact in the route and his inconsistency at the break-point - what's encouraging is that there are flashes that suggest these are fixable with coaching because there are examples on tape where he does - he seems to generally have a nice feel in his route-running and i project him developing there

in terms of fit it's a little trickier - he's versatile in that he can line up in the slot or outside but we use our slot receivers a ton in the running game and marshall is a pretty awful blocker - it may also be that he's just lacking some functional strength and needs to fill out his frame a bit in an NFL weight room (which might help him in other physicality aspects of his game) - but this means that at least early we'd probably see sammy watkins play more of that slot role at least on running plays (was used somewhat in that way by the chiefs as a motion blocker) - but it would limit the early down slot usage for marshall unless he can massively improve as a blocker over this offseason

but it does mean that marshall's role at least early would be limited by the fact that he's unlikely to play the "x" (at least when we play teams that use a lot of press coverage) and he's not likely to play the slot a ton on early downs - he'll be a versatile weapon who plays a combination of all those spots based on the team we're facing but mostly in the slot/"z"

Last edited:

LSURavenFan

Veteran
Some general predictions

-The first 4 picks will be QB's. ATL either finds the successor to Ryan, or they trade out of 4th.

-The Raiders pick surprises everyone. Likely someone from a blueblood school that most are lower on than Gruden and Mayock.

-No RB's in round one

-5 receivers go by the time the Ravens pick. Chase/Smth/Waddle/Bateman/Marshall.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ok I'll also do some general predictions:
- Seahawks trade out of the 1st round and if they can't, they'll make a very weird pick
- Patriots change their approach and start drafting 'normal'
- Patriots trade up to the 4th spot and select a qb
- Mayock and Gruden reach in the 1st round as always
- Harbaugh gets his tough, hard-nosed, heart of a lion type of player

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
that's certainly possible - but so many are talking about them taking a RB (harris if he's there), or Jenkins or Dickerson
Jenkins is certainly possible and I would list Zaven Collins as an outside possibility but I would be pretty surprised to see them take Dickerson. Not sure you want to replace your pro bowl center with a guy who has managed to not finish four out of five seasons with injury while your QB is on his way out.
I'm also of the opinion (one not shared by many), that Humphrey is the better player by substantial margin

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I believe we'll only pick once either at 27 or 31 depending on how the board plays out for us. I expect us to trade back on one to accumulate more day 2 picks. It is impossible to say how things will play out.

who do you think takes him
The issue I have with taking Creed that high is that it still leaves a hole at LG. I'm not sure if Bozeman is the answer at LG and I think its probably best he gets moved to center. I'm hoping the Ravens trade both of their first round picks and acquire more capital and address the line, specifically with guys like Wyatt Davis and Walker Little. Davis is a Zeitler clone. He just does not lose his blocks. Little on the other hand we have not seen him play in almost 2 years, but given our scheme he'll be placed in favorable matchups. Signing Dennis Kelly while having Walker Little develop is probably the best approach.

Bill and Steelers both draft running backs in round 1
Packers trade up for Bateman or Elijah Moore
Bucs trade up for Christian Barmore

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The issue I have with taking Creed that high is that it still leaves a hole at LG. I'm not sure if Bozeman is the answer at LG and I think its probably best he gets moved to center. I'm hoping the Ravens trade both of their first round picks and acquire more capital and address the line, specifically with guys like Wyatt Davis and Walker Little. Davis is a Zeitler clone. He just does not lose his blocks. Little on the other hand we have not seen him play in almost 2 years, but given our scheme he'll be placed in favorable matchups. Signing Dennis Kelly while having Walker Little develop is probably the best approach.

why would you have more confidence in bozeman at C than at LG where he's played for 3 years as a pro? (2 of which as a starter)

also just on a straight BPA approach, i have creed humphrey well ahead of wyatt davis on my board (who i like)
walker little's a risk - he's got some really good tape but he's also just not played for 2 years - there'll be guys i have far more confidence in available if/when we might pick him...

why would you have more confidence in bozeman at C than at LG where he's played for 3 years as a pro? (2 of which as a starter)

also just on a straight BPA approach, i have creed humphrey well ahead of wyatt davis on my board (who i like)
walker little's a risk - he's got some really good tape but he's also just not played for 2 years - there'll be guys i have far more confidence in available if/when we might pick him...
The way I look at it is that just because you are a starter at a position doesn't mean you are good. I think he's been the starter at LG because he was the best player on the roster. The line is as good as its weakest link. I'm of the mindset that 3 positions on the o-line need an upgrade (LG, C, RT). Moving Bozeman back to his natural center position can solve one of the issues. He just needs to be average at the position for it to be an upgrade. I have a feeling the coaching staff looks at it the same way.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The way I look at it is that just because you are a starter at a position doesn't mean you are good. I think he's been the starter at LG because he was the best player on the roster. The line is as good as its weakest link. I'm of the mindset that 3 positions on the o-line need an upgrade (LG, C, RT). Moving Bozeman back to his natural center position can solve one of the issues. He just needs to be average at the position for it to be an upgrade. I have a feeling the coaching staff looks at it the same way.

but I don’t understand why you’re so sure he’ll be better at C

and also why you think he’s been bad at LG?

its definitely possible he’s a good C in the NFL but no guarantee, but I think we can safely say he’s a very good pulling guard who’s at least adequate, and often better than adequate, in other areas of his game