• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Shaun Wade

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Surprising pick.

Interesting athlete at DB. Had a torrid time at outside corner especially to finish the season.

Physical play-maker - probably projects best as a bigger nickel corner or maybe even an option to convert to safety.

At his best in zone – works well underneath – has the ability to click and close with explosion

Smooth backpedal and transitions well to break upfield – shows good route recognition which helps him make plays on the ball

Struggled a lot in press coverage – footwork can look hurried and ineffective – he’ll sometimes bite hard on fakes – but mostly he just doesn’t seem comfortable or confident being physical and jamming – seems to me he’s just not very patient when lined up in press – he gives up ground for free far too often

Lines up deep in off-coverage – suggests to me that he doesn’t trust his long speed

Seems to not have ideal hip flexibility (either that or hasn’t had enough reps flipping) – not a fluid mover

Gets bullied too often at the catch-point

Another guy who played through injury in 2020, had better tape in 2019 at nickel. Ravens clearly banking on that upside.

I have to say though, my enduring memory of his tape is of him being put in the tumble-dryer by Cornell Powell

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
i like the pick for where we got him. Hi upside guy and will likely be a slot guy. He wont have to play right away but good insurance for Young with his injury history

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i like the pick for where we got him. Hi upside guy and will likely be a slot guy. He wont have to play right away but good insurance for Young with his injury history

and he'll have to earn it with special teams etc.
im fine with it late day 3... i had a 6th round grade on him - so can't be too upset with him in the 5th in a small draft class

Simba

Staff Member
I did find it interesting how he was announced as a DB. Think he might be playing a lot more S in the NFL with primary coverage responsibilities being in the slot.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
And yep, my thoughts have been verified

he's definitely a sure tackler and a good blitzer - at his best in zone type stuff working underneath and using his good route recognition and diagnosis skills to click and close explosively

you've got to think the ravens are taking swings at high upside guys in the secondary (him and stephens) and banking on one of them sticking

Simba

Staff Member
he's definitely a sure tackler and a good blitzer - at his best in zone type stuff working underneath and using his good route recognition and diagnosis skills to click and close explosively

you've got to think the ravens are taking swings at high upside guys in the secondary (him and stephens) and banking on one of them sticking

Also guys that profile as good STers. Could be hard for a guy like Jordan Richards to make it this year if you can get something out of Stephens and/or Wade in that regard. Guys with actual potential.

Simba

Staff Member
and anyone that stops richards getting on the field as a DB in live action is a hero to me...

I mean when you think about it right now...

CB: Humphrey, Peters, Smith, Young, Averett, Harris
S: Clark, Elliott, Stephens, Wade, Levine

Guys that get cut in this instance: Richards, Marshall, Dorsey, Stone

We've gotten much better with depth this weekend while still keeping ST strong

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
and anyone that stops richards getting on the field as a DB in live action is a hero to me...
seriously lmao, same with Levine. I love him but levine should only play STs. Also i dont think we really saw anything from Geno last year so we wanted better athletes there. Stone isnt nearly the athlete these 2 guys are

Simba

Staff Member
One thing that is interesting about Wade is him talking about the adversity that he went through last year, including injuries and personal stuff related to deaths in the family. It makes sense in some regard. He looked disinterested last year. It's not always a desire. Sometimes things happen and it affects you in everything you do. Not saying that's the sole reason for his drop but it's something that is absolutely in consideration when evaluating him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
seriously lmao, same with Levine. I love him but levine should only play STs. Also i dont think we really saw anything from Geno last year so we wanted better athletes there. Stone isnt nearly the athlete these 2 guys are

tbf levine's not played really on defense (except when we've been literally running out of live bodies on gameday) the last couple of years

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One thing that is interesting about Wade is him talking about the adversity that he went through last year, including injuries and personal stuff related to deaths in the family. It makes sense in some regard. He looked disinterested last year. It's not always a desire. Sometimes things happen and it affects you in everything you do. Not saying that's the sole reason for his drop but it's something that is absolutely in consideration when evaluating him.

did he also say that he had covid or did i misread that?