• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Welcome to Baltimore: Shaun Wade

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What you're saying us undeniable. I'm just adding on top of what you are there seems to be a personality shift too. Think of Perriman, Boykin, even Duvernay. Now think of Rashod, Hollywood, and Tylan. And it extends to the other positions, Owwh, Wade, Cleveland, Mason.

All of these guys have that confidence and mean streak in them. Much more so than I usually feel about a draft class.

i think that's been a trend going on for a little while though - i think it possibly goes back to signing steve smith after those 3 years post reed and ray and realising we missed that kind of intensity...

EDIT: although looking at it - it's probably more about lamar

2016: Judon and bringing in peanut as udfa
2017: Marlon
2018: orlando, deshon

but it's probably notable that we didn't see these guys come out of their shells until lamar took over the team... i really do think a lot of it is down to lamar and the way he pulls out this confidence in all the players around him (and tbh it even rejuvenated harbs too) - it brought out something in Levine too

2019: hollywood but we traded for MP too - and we also brought in earl thomas (although that one backfired) - but jihad ward added some spice also
2020: Queen, Dobbins, Bredeson, Proche

but you're right, the majority of the 2021 class fits that mould - maybe only stephens and daelin hayes who dont

it does make me wonder just how amazing it would be to still have ryan jensen around at C

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i think that's been a trend going on for a little while though - i think it possibly goes back to signing steve smith after those 3 years post reed and ray and realising we missed that kind of intensity...

but it's probably notable that we didn't see these guys come out of their shells until lamar took over the team... i really do think a lot of it is down to lamar and the way he pulls out this confidence in all the players around him (and tbh it even rejuvenated harbs too) - it brought out something in Levine too

2019: hollywood but we traded for MP too - and we also brought in earl thomas (although that one backfired) - but jihad ward added some spice also

but you're right, the majority of the 2021 class fits that mould - maybe only stephens and daelin hayes who dont

it does make me wonder just how amazing it would be to still have ryan jensen around at C

I think you're totally right about Lamar being a catalyst. Man Jensen was great hahaha

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Lamar brings a different energy out of his players, it’s more contagious than ray Lewis

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Lamar brings a different energy out of his players, it’s more contagious than ray Lewis

I think ray kind of imposed his will on the team and everyone got swept up in his tidal wave of energy - football became the most important thing in existence but that creates constant intensity and pressure etc Probably helped guys in those big moments though

with Lamar it’s less imposing but kind of seeps in via osmosis - because how can you not be swept up in his almost innocent delight in the game - the enjoyment and playfulness about the game and you see everyone having fun - the games are serious but the environment seems far more fun than when ray was here

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
you're banking on the upside which is potentially really high
you take 2020 being possibly as bad as it could be - and probably humbled him somewhat - and you work with him and hopefully re-find some of that potential everyone saw in 2019
Certainly doesn't hurt with Humphrey, Peters and Jimmy mentoring him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
tbf levine's not played really on defense (except when we've been literally running out of live bodies on gameday) the last couple of years
You're right, it's been a couple years. When we played nickel he came in and he was effective back, but that was in 2018. Once Clark started coming on he replaced Levine and of course then took over as the captain of the defense and the rest is history.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
idk that it's necessarily a personality thing with boykin - but physicality and explosion beats size 8 times out of 10

but probably also helps that hollywood's possibly already the best WR we've ever drafted (hopefully bateman's even better) and i think it showed them that you dont necessarily need to be 6ft+ to beat press and be successful on the outside - now hollywood's not super physical but bateman and wallace are - and so is watkins
people talking about Bateman taking targets away from Hollywood and that is possible, but we will also be able to use Hollywood in more advantageous spots and all over the field so he can shine even more. I can't wait for the season to start.

Anyone up for the draft a franchise game!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Man, I’ve been watching Shaun wade highlights, and I watched edgars breakdown, and I’m excited, I’m burned out on film and just watching highlights right now lol but he looks like he could be REALLY good in the nickel for winks defense, like a game changer if whatever issues he had in 2020 don’t reappear and it was just an aberration. He is stupidly long and has freakish ability to flex and contort and he uses it in spectacular fashion at times, ball skills, block shedding and tackling for potentially great run support, blitzing, like damn that’s winks nickel if I ever seen it

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
wade seems smart af playing in that slot. He catches on to those rb swing routes, screens and all that shit.... blitzes very well too.. now when it comes to covering a wr, sheesh

ChainedBird

Practice Squad
I like him and I think his 2020 season helps us both by making him cost less resources to get and also removing some unknowns. Much happier drafting a 2nd round talent slot corner who can't play outside for toffee in the 5th round than a 2nd round talent slot corner with unknown outside ability in the 2nd round.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Idk about Stephens but have you seen hayes’ pregame hype sessions? He fits the mold you’re referring to lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Man, I’ve been watching Shaun wade highlights, and I watched edgars breakdown, and I’m excited, I’m burned out on film and just watching highlights right now lol but he looks like he could be REALLY good in the nickel for winks defense, like a game changer if whatever issues he had in 2020 don’t reappear and it was just an aberration. He is stupidly long and has freakish ability to flex and contort and he uses it in spectacular fashion at times, ball skills, block shedding and tackling for potentially great run support, blitzing, like damn that’s winks nickel if I ever seen it

I don’t know that he has the hip fluidity but he makes up for it with his smarts - definitely a wink db - not 100% sure he’s a full-time nickel though